British Speedway Forum

24 minutes ago, spin king junior said:

From a speedway fans stand point. It the most polished thing we've had. Once again, glasgow have gone above and beyond in terms of their media and marketing.

But from a netural stand point, by god was it boring. Its essentially an hour and half of "look how bloody fantastic Glasgow speedway is!" There was very little focus on the riders and literally other than a brief explanation of the points system there was very little focus on the racing. Just a little Glasgow beat [insert team here]. And literally the only interesting thing that happened (the Eastbourne incident) they cut away from! 

I hate to say it, but it was an absolutely pointless documentary. I dont really know who the documentary is for. It cant be the diehards, as we already know how much Glasgow have pumped into the speedway and how the season unfolded. It can't be the newbies as it has very little focus on the racing and action. It just feels like a 'look how big my d*ck is' hour long special.

The biggest problem is it felt was done by a child ADHD who'd just downed his last bag of skittles. It was all over the place and just couldn't focus on one subject. 

What it should have been is a focus on what fans care about. The racing, the riders and the drama. Which was touched on briefly, but only very briefly.

Bollocks, i am not the money mens biggest fan by any means but the film is on a par with what "sky or bt" have ever done for the sport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Very enjoyable. Loved the Sam Norris update.

The short Eastbourne fight clips told us nothing other than Cook was probably the biggest "idiot" on the night.. whether you insert Craig or John is entirely up to you! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Bollocks, i am not the money mens biggest fan by any means but the film is on a par with what "sky or bt" have ever done for the sport.

If you liked it, then that's great. I just found it a bit boring. The quality of the documentary is up there and there was clearly a hell of a lot of effort put in. But as far as it being entertaining or informative. Nah not for me.

Edited by spin king junior

19 minutes ago, spin king junior said:

If you liked it, then that's great. I just found it a bit boring. The quality of the documentary is up there and there was clearly a hell of a lot of effort put in. But as far as it being entertaining or informative. Nah not for me.

Each to his own i think we can agree on that !

7 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Each to his own i think we can agree on that !

Agreed. For myself I just saw the potential of what was there. For me, the really interesting bits were the eastbourne incident and the insight they gave after the scunny meeting.

But it wasn't the focus. If the majority of the documentary was focus on the racing, the results and giving us that little look behind the curtain of what goes off in the pits between the riders and management then it would've been excellent.  

• Like 2

I thoroughly enjoyed it well done to all concerned each to their own.

I thought it was really good. The documentary was commissioned by the club, so of course it's going to come from that perspective. That's completely understandable.

If I could change one thing, I would add a bit more on-track action, or flashpoints. The final heat at Berwick (part of the double-header with Edinburgh) got pretty feisty between the fans in turn one almost as much as it did on the green. And the loss at Eastbourne was significant because it was the Knockout Cup.

It seems to me that some people just want to knock it because it's Glasgow and/or the Facennas. I grew up in earshot of Rye House Stadium. I've seen them fold twice in my lifetime. I've lived in Sheffield and followed the Tigers there; I live in Glasgow now and happily follow them, and although they'll never be the Rockets, and I'd love to see them back again, I can't knock the difference they've made to the stadium at Ashfield. The racing is first class too.

When I compare the transformation of Ashfield to the dump Rye House Stadium had turned in to by the time they closed again in 2018, they're world's apart. I'm glad I have a team I can watch here. So the documentary might err on the side of navel gazing at times, but I'm glad they've developed a speedway product they can sell to the city. And surely that's the point of this documentary, to build on that?

For me personally it was great and well worth the watch and credit to all involved, at least some people are trying to promote instead of knock it continually from within.

Prior to the screening I contacted several friends who don't follow speedway and informed them to watch Glasgow `In the Red` documentary.

Being a speedway fan and advocate, I was surprised by 2 phone calls informing they switched it off within 15 minutes and why did I recommend it!

I was told it was not informative or intriguing viewing and I was told to watch

SUNDERLAND TILL I DIE SEASON 2 

Wow what an insight, yes its not SPEEDWAY but it just shows the determination to get things done and change for the better.

Maybe some Promoters/Owners need to take a leaf out of Glasgow`s forward thinking or even watch the Sunderland documentary to see and deal with reality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Very enjoyable. Loved the Sam Norris update.

The short Eastbourne fight clips told us nothing other than Cook was probably the biggest "idiot" on the night.. whether you insert Craig or John is entirely up to you! 

There is a feature on Sam Norris in this week's Speedway Star that really brings home what he and the family have gone through.

Altogether a positive piece of reporting but also a detailed reflection on Sam's injuries and the difficult stages of his recovery.

4 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Whilst I think spin king junior has gone abit over the top, I think he’s right on the whole and I was abit disappointed. After watching the Salford City documentary on sky with Gary Neville and co, maybe my standards were too high and I was expecting a speedway version of that.

Throughout the whole documentary it shown one race which was a shame. It was good but could of been so much better, but Rome wasn’t built in a day and they now have numerous things to improve on for the next one. Showing discussions mid meeting and team talks etc was what I was hoping for which would be a great insight.

Credit to the Glasgow promotion again for their stand out forward thinking and promotion which is unrivalled in the UK now. Such a professional outfit and I bet they have riders queued up at the door to ride for them.

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 2

Just watched the documentary..

Absolutely first class both in terms of production quality and content...

Well done to all who made and contributed to it..

Only possible gripe is that, in parts, it might have helped if it had subtitles. .:D

Overall though..

Pure deed brulliant by tha way....;)

Enjoyed the documentary, as with most things Glasgow its a very professional production.

Well done to all concerned.

I enjoyed the film mainly because it was about “Speedway” and the riders were familiar , Cook, Bickley, Jensen, etc, oh and I recognised some of the Glasgow fans (good people).

it probably appealed more to fans that attend already rather than attract new ones but if it brings in just a few then all to the good.

I was  hoping to see a more in depth personal view of the riders, eg the travelling , preparation etc.

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Only possible gripe is that, in parts, it might have helped if it had subtitles. .:D

They DID helpfully add subtitles for the Jon Cook segment!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3