British Speedway Forum

Most of the stadiums that have restricted viewing areas is because of safety issues that the closed part of the stadium is not fit to be used so unsure how easy its is going to be to get these areas open.  Others such s Edinburgh and Newcastle just dont have the space.

• Like 1

Entirely sensible decision from Glasgow, and now one club has blinked I think more clubs will follow. Time to put an end to 2020 and look to 2021, same teams same rules, clubs will start in a reasonably decent financial situation in fact some will start in a very healthy situation which has to be a positive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, screm said:

Entirely sensible decision from Glasgow, and now one club has blinked I think more clubs will follow. Time to put an end to 2020 and look to 2021, same teams same rules, clubs will start in a reasonably decent financial situation in fact some will start in a very healthy situation which has to be a positive.

The problem is Screm while folk and clubs must take care and same in all sports venues this virus I think will never totally go from the Planet?

It will be question of living with it as best can?

With that in mind the world in all areas needs to move forward and people need to move on as well in due course.

Rumours are that the S Distance might drop to 1m as in most Euro countries and if that happened it could lift lot of questions but hey I just a mere mortal.

Am sure Mr Hancock will have the answers !!!  There is every chance we be no further forward come 2021 season.

Edited by Catch Me If You Can

Unfortunately in these covid days and going forward, health and safety will be a big thing, ( THJ will probably be aware of the big ins and ous of  this in his line of work)     would the promotion/ volunteers be willing/know all about this ? Will it be worth the hassel for what may only be a season of 2 months if we are lucky. If all h+s is done would a crowd turn up to watch? If I were a promoter I would think the hassel for a short season would not be worth it, that's without the potential rider issue.  I think hard as it is to think like this, I would abandon the season, re-group and focus on 2021, if they can afford to do it, as for many their business and sponsor's businesses may have taken a very big hit in these times. Sorry if this sounds bleak but IMO that's where the sport is.

the above is taken from what I wrote on the Newcastle thread, think it applies to all speedway tracks/stadiums.

i think once again Glasgow have been forward thinking in deciding to cancel 2020 season. I think they will be first of many making the same decision

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Catch Me If You Can said:

The problem is Screm while folk and clubs must take care and same in all sports venues this virus I think will never totally go from the Planet?

It will be question of living with it as best can?

With that in mind the world in all areas needs to move forward and people need to move on as well in due course.

Rumours are that the S Distance might drop to 1m as in most Euro countries and if that happened it could lift lot of questions but hey I just a mere mortal.

Am sure Mr Hancock will have the answers !!!  There is every chance we be no further forward come 2021 season.

I think the main problem regarding up this season would be the restrictions imposed by Governments and testing procedures and cost  ,maybe by next season these will be lifted to make running more viable. If some Promotions want to take the gamble that’s their prerogative.Given the financial state of the sport ,I’m not convinced running this season is wise.But who knows!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catch Me If You Can said:

Wouldn't it be great if Grin had a solution? :D

9 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

I  for one wont be watching Speedway on a cold/damp night in November.

Funny then how football and rugby are able to run right through the winter if it's the cold and damp that matters. 

Of course their playing surfaces aren't so affected by the weather but I am hearing here is several people complaining that November will be too cold which doesn't seem to affect the followers of other sports. Maybe speedway fans are more delicate? It's not as if it's proposed as a regular thing, just one way to compromise in a difficult situation. 

I just feel for the Glasgow supporters who are now facing over an 18 month break in racing. 

Also ice can happen in November ( or even October as Workington found when having last meeting of h18tory season called off ) making it impossible to run speedway or prepare a track,

I think the best thing that could happen is call off the 2020 season, run with the same riders, if possible in 2021. If any promotion want to run speedway maybe try a one off league with whoever is brave enough to run, or run challenge fixtures. As I don't think Glasgow will be the only ones not running in 2020

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

To be far, the 1metre distance is definitely on the cards. It was discussed at a daily broadcast at the weekend.

7 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Funny then how football and rugby are able to run right through the winter if it's the cold and damp that matters. 

Of course their playing surfaces aren't so affected by the weather but I am hearing here is several people complaining that November will be too cold which doesn't seem to affect the followers of other sports. Maybe speedway fans are more delicate? It's not as if it's proposed as a regular thing, just one way to compromise in a difficult situation. 

Because in football and rugby you have 80 - 90 minutes of action to watch, in speedway you have about 15 minutes and around 90 minutes standing around doing nothing 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KEITH M said:

Because in football and rugby you have 80 - 90 minutes of action to watch, in speedway you have about 15 minutes and around 90 minutes standing around doing nothing 

Whilst understanding your point, that's not correct.

Football is 55-60 minutes
Rugby Union is around 35 minutes

Edited by BWitcher
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KEITH M said:

And at most football and rugby matches you are stood shoulder to shoulder, or sat next to, another human being, meaning body heat is shared....

At a lot of Speedway meetings you would be stood in splendid isolation or have a row (or even a block) of seats to yourself..:)

No issues with social distancing though which can only be a positive...;)

Let's be honest, the sport struggles to get a big following in June, July and August, every year, so getting one in November will be a big challenge, however as November would probably be play off time, maybe that would entice a decent following away from their warm armchairs? 

And keeping the league to one home and one away, should mean most clubs are in with a play off chance through the often equally as cold October.

The last thing any club would want is a few 'dead rubbers' on cold and miserable evenings as that could decimate the fan base on those nights...

For me, if due to non availability of riders, you end up with contrived septets across the sport, which will seriously undermine any competition, added to the fact many say they lose considerable amounts of money every season..

Maybe it would just be better to bank the cash they usually lose and use it to market the club to come back stronger next year? 

11 hours ago, cinderfella said:

My goodness you spot on!  I not particularly politically minded but the man does not have much going for him! His predecessor Mr Hunt does not have a high opinion!

10 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Football and rugby fans are on average a lot younger and therefore hardier than the average speedway fan.

A point forgotten too is that a good many speedway fans are over 70 and therefore still in the "clinically vulnerable" category when it comes to COVID-19. At some places the clinically vulnerable make up the majority of the fan base.

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

And at most football and rugby matches you are stood shoulder to shoulder, or sat next to, another human being, meaning body heat is shared....

At a lot of Speedway meetings you would be stood in splendid isolation or have a row (or even a block) of seats to yourself..:)

No issues with social distancing though which can only be a positive...;)

Let's be honest, the sport struggles to get a big following in June, July and August, every year, so getting one in November will be a big challenge, however as November would probably be play off time, maybe that would entice a decent following away from their warm armchairs? 

And keeping the league to one home and one away, should mean most clubs are in with a play off chance through the often equally as cold October.

The last thing any club would want is a few 'dead rubbers' on cold and miserable evenings as that could decimate the fan base on those nights...

For me, if due to non availability of riders, you end up with contrived septets across the sport, which will seriously undermine any competition, added to the fact many say they lose considerable amounts of money every season..

Maybe it would just be better to bank the cash they usually lose and use it to market the club to come back stronger next year? 

There would not be a problem arriving at the stadiums as people stagger there arrivals. Spacing can be organised in the stadiums. The problem comes when the majority of the spectators leave en masse after the meeitings.