British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Skodaman said:

There would not be a problem arriving at the stadiums as people stagger there arrivals. Spacing can be organised in the stadiums. The problem comes when the majority of the spectators leave en masse after the meeitings.

Exactly - stadiums would need to control people leaving + telling people to get out of the car park and not chat

Very smart and sensible decision by The Glasgow owner. Other clubs should be realistic and honest and write off this year. 

To pretend that meaningful speedway will take place this year is totally ridiculous. 
It is farcical to think that speedway will run, even behind closed doors, as it would be financial madness.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

Very smart and sensible decision by The Glasgow owner. Other clubs should be realistic and honest and write off this year. 

To pretend that meaningful speedway will take place this year is totally ridiculous. 
It is farcical to think that speedway will run, even behind closed doors, as it would be financial madness.

Is it? Surely they should come to a decision together and come out with a statement regarding the season that applies to all clubs.

What we will get, instead, is clubs dropping out one-by-one, which isn't a good way to present things.

• Like 2

I know this may sound strange, but can Glasgow be punished for not completing the season? 
Technically the season started as we had the Ben Fund, although I know that no league speedway has taken place. Personally I agree with Glasgow in what they have done, but we are talking about the BSPA here!

I'm hoping for a month of open meetings at Redcar during Sept/Oct

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Biffa said:

I know this may sound strange, but can Glasgow be punished for not completing the season? 
Technically the season started as we had the Ben Fund, although I know that no league speedway has taken place. Personally I agree with Glasgow in what they have done, but we are talking about the BSPA here!

I would doubt it very much, anyway there will be others who call their 2020 season early and concentrate on 2021.

32 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Is it? Surely they should come to a decision together and come out with a statement regarding the season that applies to all clubs.

What we will get, instead, is clubs dropping out one-by-one, which isn't a good way to present things.

22 minutes ago, Biffa said:

Can't see Glasgow being punished for taking a sensible decision.
If The BSPA/SCB did punish Glasgow would they then have to punish the likes of Jason Doyle, who by electing to ride in Poland and ruling himself out of British Speedway, broke his contract with Swindon? 

This season should just be written off and if teams want to race or put on meetings, provided they can be done safely, fine but under no circumstances should Glasgow or any other club electing not to compete be discriminated against come 2021.

58 minutes ago, Biffa said:

In a word .NO. No Team will complete the fixture list issued for this season.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ch958 said:

I'm hoping for a month of open meetings at Redcar during Sept/Oct

Wishful thinking. 

I doubt any speedway club will have the means to facilitate what will most likely be staggered arrival and departure, the means to cleanse facilities on site constantly etc and so on will likely be changed.

I would assume most clubs will have to spend before they can have, even for speedway, a restricted crowd attend. A gathering in a stadium will be seen as a hell of a lot different to people gathering at a beach. 

When even football clubs in Scotland are talking about virtual season passes it’s time to let it go that people will be attending for a while. 

Speedway isn’t going to be bent over for just because few people go. 

Even ignoring all that it will reach a stage this year when riders will be asking what the point in racing is, a couple of open meetings? It’s a battle enough getting most to attend them during a regular season, it would cost most of them money to risk injury in a year when they have had no racing income. 

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

Even ignoring all that it will reach a stage this year when riders will be asking what the point in racing is, a couple of open meetings? It’s a battle enough getting most to attend them during a regular season, it would cost most of them money to risk injury in a year when they have had no racing income. 

Good point. Speedway engines being what they are can blow up at anytime and without other meetings and regular income guaranteed only the riders with top level sponsorship would surely consider 'open' meetings.
Take into account the fact that social distancing as regards who can travel together will still be in place, having a mechanic having to travel separately will just add to the expense.that clubs
It's interesting we hear through BSPA that clubs are still hopeful of meetings but it would be interesting to hear what riders themselves actually think without the risk of prejudicing their careers?

11 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Good point. Speedway engines being what they are can blow up at anytime and without other meetings and regular income guaranteed only the riders with top level sponsorship would surely consider 'open' meetings.
Take into account the fact that social distancing as regards who can travel together will still be in place, having a mechanic having to travel separately will just add to the expense.that clubs
It's interesting we hear through BSPA that clubs are still hopeful of meetings but it would be interesting to hear what riders themselves actually think without the risk of prejudicing their careers?

Seems some are ignoring the rule to be able to so work. 3 guys working on property next to me have travelled for 4 days from Deby to near Chester all in the front of a 3 seater van!

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Seems some are ignoring the rule to be able to so work. 3 guys working on property next to me have travelled for 4 days from Deby to near Chester all in the front of a 3 seater van!

Thoughtless idiots. It's one thing putting your own health at risk but how many others lives are they putting at risk too?
Guess we can thank Demonic Cummings for making folk think everything is OK and lockdown is a waste of time.:angry:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

Wishful thinking. 

I doubt any speedway club will have the means to facilitate what will most likely be staggered arrival and departure, the means to cleanse facilities on site constantly etc and so on will likely be changed.

I would assume most clubs will have to spend before they can have, even for speedway, a restricted crowd attend. A gathering in a stadium will be seen as a hell of a lot different to people gathering at a beach. 

When even football clubs in Scotland are talking about virtual season passes it’s time to let it go that people will be attending for a while. 

Speedway isn’t going to be bent over for just because few people go. 

prob correct mate

4 hours ago, Grachan said:

Agreed and shows how useless and deluded some in the BSPA are thinking speedway will go on this year and are still hanging on to season ticket money. Glasgow are more realistic and honest about the situation. Also there other business must be seriously damaged and they have more important problems to deal with other than speedway.

It is hard to understand how any speedway club hasn’t got the same issues clearly highlighted in the Glasgow promotion’s statement. 

Speedway barely attracts breakeven attendances on a warm sunny evening .... to suggest they will be able to attract breakeven attendances under current circumstances ain’t going to happen. 

Parents aren’t happy to let their kids go back to school, let alone go out for the evening to a speedway track. As for the more mature sections of society many of them are still reluctant to leave their homes to collect groceries, let alone go out for the evening at a speedway track. All understandable of course .... but doesn’t make Speedway in the UK likely in 2020. 

I don’t see any proposals from BSPA on spectator safety being promulgated to build confidence........pointless statements saying they are ready to start the season as soon as possible.....so how about

each stadium to be assessed for maximum attendance to allow safe distancing. 

Pre booked online tickets for meetings .. no at the gate ticket sales

each ticket has a bookable  allotted arrival and departure time window with allocated seating/ standing area.... no wandering around the track permitted.

face coverings must be worn at trackside

Management of riders/ mechanics to follow polish ekstraliga rules. 

NO IDEA  how you manage toilet facilities. Some tracks have toilets with very cramped facilities ( Eastbournebeing one I know) with no means of safe entry/exit without bumping into people. 

Sadly the decision making will be like that of rain offs ..... yes the season is definitely ON ON ON and then suddenly it will be OFF. ☹️☹️☹️

• Like 2