British Speedway Forum

10 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

It is hard to understand how any speedway club hasn’t got the same issues clearly highlighted in the Glasgow promotion’s statement. 

I imagine a fair few are clinging on as they are sitting on season ticket holders money and pulling the plug would mean they have to pay everyone out.  

Glasgow with a few quid are maybe in a better position to repay fans.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

I imagine a fair few are clinging on as they are sitting on season ticket holders money and pulling the plug would mean they have to pay everyone out.  

Glasgow with a few quid are maybe in a better position to repay fans.

Why does everyone assume Glasgow have got bottomless pockets? If you have watched the recent In The Red documentary you will have heard the promotion saying they loose about £100k a season.
Glasgow are very lucky to have owners that not only support speedway but also invest in the area including the junior (equivalent of non-league) football team but there is a limit to how long the Facenna's can be expected to dig into their personal accounts.
Perhaps this is one of the reasons Glasgow have been honest and up front about saying they are not running. Having 6 overseas riders in the team this year must also raise problems.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cinderfella said:

Why does everyone assume Glasgow have got bottomless pockets? If you have watched the recent In The Red documentary you will have heard the promotion saying they loose about £100k a season.
Glasgow are very lucky to have owners that not only support speedway but also invest in the area including the junior (equivalent of non-league) football team but there is a limit to how long the Facenna's can be expected to dig into their personal accounts.
Perhaps this is one of the reasons Glasgow have been honest and up front about saying they are not running. Having 6 overseas riders in the team this year must also raise problems.

Did i say they've got bottomless pockets ?

I said they were likely in a better position to do something very basic that other clubs would struggle to do, ie refund season tickets. 

20 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

Did i say they've got bottomless pockets ?

I said they were likely in a better position to do something very basic that other clubs would struggle to do, ie refund season tickets. 

Any decent run Club should not struggle to refund season ticket holders money IMO.
They are just hoping fans write the money off .

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Any decent run Club should not struggle to refund season ticket holders money IMO.

Correct - string them along long enough and hope fans just let it slide. Terrible really.

5 hours ago, cinderfella said:

The BSPA said the vast majority of promoters want to run meetings.. therefore there must be others with the same concerns as Glasgow.

as much as I would like to see Speedway in2020, I do not think it will happen...unless it is behind closed doors with pay per view live streaming... keep it safe

15 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Don’t agree, some people, IMO, had made their mind up long before the Cummings trouble (which was stirred by the presses hate for him). People were blatantly breaking any and all the rules set from day one.

As a Supermarket manager I can 1000% concur....:rolleyes:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

Another trophyless season for the Possilpark Tigers. 

What a classy statement 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Absolutely, that money should be put in a separate account. Not used to service over areas of the business.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Absolutely, that money should be put in a separate account. Not used to service over areas of the business.

Sadly the reality is that season ticket money is often spent before it comes in - football probably as bad as any sport in this regard. 

3 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I suspect you'll find that in Speedway and almost every other Sport other than the very elite levels that it is season ticket income that keeps those Clubs going through the off-season as revenue streams from any Club that relies on gate money (as speedway does) dries up.

Certainly lower league soccer clubs rely on their as a source of income.

It's hand to mouth existence at best of times for many sports Clubs and speedway is no different.

50 minutes ago, HGould said:

I suspect you'll find that in Speedway and almost every other Sport other than the very elite levels that it is season ticket income that keeps those Clubs going through the off-season as revenue streams from any Club that relies on gate money (as speedway does) dries up.

Certainly lower league soccer clubs rely on their as a source of income.

It's hand to mouth existence at best of times for many sports Clubs and speedway is no different.

So my 10 meeting ticket money at Eastbourne, is probably long gone!

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

So my 10 meeting ticket money at Eastbourne, is probably long gone!

A guy I speak to from timer to time on the phone told me that he had his season ticket money refunded by Kent Speedway weeks ago.