British Speedway Forum

20 hours ago, cityrebel said:

To be fair to Eastbourne, i haven't asked for a refund. They did announce that any meetings staged this season would be free to season ticket holders, and their current tickets would be valid for next year. A decent gesture if speedway returns.

I think Eastbourne have been very fair about this. Their website has also been very clear about the options for season ticket holders and those like city rebel who have the ten-match version.

Eastbourne have said right from the outset when announcements would be made about season tickets/10 match but on each occasion they have offered a refund to those who needed the money back.

However, they have said a season ticket is now for 2020 and 2021 -- any meetings this year would be a bonus for season tix holders and the 10-match version can be spread across the two years. 

Here is a story from their website which sets out everything:

https://www.eastbourne-speedway.com/eagles-statement-season-and-10-match-tickets/

Speedway clubs owe it to supporters to be open and transparent, especially when people have paid upfront.

As a season ticket holder, I've now had a letter from Eastbourne. Can't say fairer than that.

So speedway with no spectators. Is it possible ? 

Could a meeting not be streamed online on a pay per view basis ?

I cannot see regular "league racing" attracting much of an audience onlne (watched enough paint dry on the you tube offerings )  but if a series of open meetings were arranged with select teams representing a number of clubs maybe that woudl attract enough interest?

Not an IT expert so dont know what would be involved - but  there are already video companies out there doing speedway videos..... which can be paid for online  so if they charged for a one time password to log on to the streaming service would that work ? 

What would it cost cost for a pass?

if say 1000 attend a meeting, maybe half of those have access to a streaming service.

So whereas 1000 at £15 equals £15000, would 500 people pay £30 to produce the same revenue?

Also loss of profit from Programmes, Bars, Catering.

I think the Tigers have called correctly.

49 minutes ago, tweedcider said:

What would it cost cost for a pass?

if say 1000 attend a meeting, maybe half of those have access to a streaming service.

So whereas 1000 at £15 equals £15000, would 500 people pay £30 to produce the same revenue?

Also loss of profit from Programmes, Bars, Catering.

I think the Tigers have called correctly.

Yep it's this. 

Total total non starter.

League meetings in Poland behind close doors is economically viable. 

Also I can see something like a six meeting, six venue, shortened SGP season in Poland too. 

15 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Could a meeting not be streamed online on a pay per view basis ?

Edinburgh had pay-per-view available for home matches to anyone living more than a specified distance from the stadium last year so it must be possible to do if a club has the correct equipment available.

42 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Edinburgh had pay-per-view available for home matches to anyone living more than a specified distance from the stadium last year so it must be possible to do if a club has the correct equipment available.

I think this was only going to be available this coming season? Not sure it was in place for 2019. Could be wrong. 

6 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

I think this was only going to be available this coming season? Not sure it was in place for 2019. Could be wrong. 

No it was available last season through a link to EMTV.

Edited by cinderfella
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Joseq7 said:

Yep it's this. 

Total total non starter.

League meetings in Poland behind close doors is economically viable. 

Also I can see something like a six meeting, six venue, shortened SGP season in Poland too. 

Probably three meetings at best.

19 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Probably three meetings at best.

Thought I'd seen a post from Poland regarding gp, that was a possiblity of 8 gps at 4 tracks with crowds limited to 50% of capacity.. no Warsaw but likes of torun, Wroclaw plus 2 others on Friday and Saturday. Or if polish play offs finished run on Sunday. These would run September/October.

33 minutes ago, Neila said:

Thought I'd seen a post from Poland regarding gp, that was a possiblity of 8 gps at 4 tracks with crowds limited to 50% of capacity.. no Warsaw but likes of torun, Wroclaw plus 2 others on Friday and Saturday. Or if polish play offs finished run on Sunday. These would run September/October.

May well be but just my thoughts on the situation.

Anyway back to Glasgow, probably made the correct decision, roll on 2021 season meet up at Glasgow watch some Speedway and have a few beers.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 9:17 AM, OveFundinFan said:

I agree, but everyone on here seems to be talking about speedway taking place with spectators. Apart from snooker and horse racing I havent seen any sport in the UK taking place, and they are without spectators. Footbal is spoke about, but its a contact sport and many players do not seem too keen to be part of it - they have families to think of.

Speedway in the UK in 2020 with spectators - I dont think so.

Agreed, until social distancing is relaxed and apparently that’s going to be some time off, there will be no speedway in the UK. To suggest there will be racing is pie in the sky and I feel is misleading fans for alternative reasons! 
Speedway was on its knees before this pandemic and now the financial disaster the sport could be all but wiped out. 
Just look at all the businesses now going bust, even good ones before the crisis!

• Like 1

Just heard a rumour  on the grapevine is Glasgow have been replaced by Isle of Snow Wight Dwarfs with their 1 to 7 made up of riders called Happy (got a big sponsor ship deal), Sneezy (who has a dust allergy), Dopey (who is addicted to the smell of methanol and Castrol R), Bashful (returns to the pits straight after winning a race), Grumpy (always get last gate choice if nominated for ht15), Doc (got a good supplier of face masks)  and Sleepy (who always misses the gate).

Well if racing goes ahead it is going to be a bit of a fairy tale. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 6/4/2020 at 12:28 AM, The Doctor... said:

I imagine a fair few are clinging on as they are sitting on season ticket holders money and pulling the plug would mean they have to pay everyone out.  

Glasgow with a few quid are maybe in a better position to repay fans.

Most of us season ticket holders at Glasgow have not asked for a refund, but using it for next season

1 hour ago, Cookiefan said:

Most of us season ticket holders at Glasgow have not asked for a refund, but using it for next season

you mean 2022  season     .oopppssss , having a Trump moment .:shock:

On 6/6/2020 at 12:30 PM, Speedtiger said:

Agreed, until social distancing is relaxed and apparently that’s going to be some time off, there will be no speedway in the UK. To suggest there will be racing is pie in the sky and I feel is misleading fans for alternative reasons! 
Speedway was on its knees before this pandemic and now the financial disaster the sport could be all but wiped out. 
Just look at all the businesses now going bust, even good ones before the crisis!

You have certainly changed your tune regarding racing this season and  Glasgow pulling out League in other topic on this forum.You were far from complimentary about the Promotion pulling out and made some derogatory remarks about them IMO

• Like 1
  • Confused 1