British Speedway Forum

11 hours ago, enotian said:

and with one Archie Freeman a potential NL rider next season and the fact that, as a Sunday team with limited finances, we struggle to compete for big names (even though we're perfect for doubling up for the same Sunday reason) NDL could be a possibility.

However, if the rumours about Kent and Plymouth moving up are correct, plus the demise of Stoke, I'm not sure where that leaves the NDL anyway.

I wouldn't mind watching NDL if it's competitive but then I am used to watching 3rd tier sport ;)

Perhaps if they made the NDL for any U-24 Brit, plus one over 24 rider and one U-24 foreigner the standard wouldn't be too diluted but affordable for the likes of Mildenhall and IoW and more sustainable for the majority of CL clubs. It would mean most of the riders would be UK based.

Got to let Archie progress on the 500 next season before giving him a NL spot but in 2021 he has another full season under his belt & he will be ready

• Like 1

GED Rathbone...

• Like 1

Strong rumours in the pits last night that the ' Gedfather ' is taking up the reigns with his best friend Martin and they have bought Gentleman George out.

George has been a stalwart at Newcastle but maybe a new leader can inject some enthusiasm in the place as there appeared to be more Redcar fans than home fans last night, but then success always brings a crowd.

If George's time is up then he gave it his all, put his time and money in and should be greatly thanked for his services.

Newcastle for the National League? Got to be asked as they will already have Phillips, Embleton, Ben Rathbone and possibly Archie Freeman to consider for team places.

• Like 3

Would be good news if Ged and Martin had bought out Newcastle... Bit of a boost money wise and might interest a few new names... Plus they might run the team a bit different and build a team we're not used to... Might be good times ahead...

HOWEVER... I still want George to stay and be involved somehow... Even if he was joint team manager or something? Surely the more people behind the scenes helping out like that the better?

And for the love of god please bring back Andrew Dalby to the microphone... Let Roy put on his Redcar jacket like he really wants to

Edited by Dandelion
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Strong rumours in the pits last night that the ' Gedfather ' is taking up the reigns with his best friend Martin and they have bought Gentleman George out.

George has been a stalwart at Newcastle but maybe a new leader can inject some enthusiasm in the place as there appeared to be more Redcar fans than home fans last night, but then success always brings a crowd.

If George's time is up then he gave it his all, put his time and money in and should be greatly thanked for his services.

Newcastle for the National League? Got to be asked as they will already have Phillips, Embleton, Ben Rathbone and possibly Archie Freeman to consider for team places.

I wouldn't be so sure there will be a NL; who would be in it? No Kent, Cradley, Plymouth, Stoke - that wd leave Mildy, IOW, BV, Leicester

19 hours ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

If anyone can shed an light on the change of ownership,  I'm all ears.

I hope we will retain the best team manager in British speedway. IGWT.

Honestly

I didn't think Newcastle ever had Tony Jackson as team manager who is surely the best team manager in British speedway following his treble winning exploits for Workington in 2018 (H18tory) with a team that everyone had written off at the start of the season before a wheel was turned.... (even him lol) (oh and with a little bit of help down at Ipswich when he couldn't make it so a brilliant; dashing; handsome and very modest stand-in took his place and pulled off a dramatic away win)

However you will be pleased to know you wont need to change your acronym as "In Ged We Trust" still turns out to be "IGWT"

26 minutes ago, ch958 said:

I wouldn't be so sure there will be a NL; who would be in it? No Kent, Cradley, Plymouth, Stoke - that wd leave Mildy, IOW, BV, Leicester

Was told last night that Leicester aren't running their Cubs team next year and its starting to look like BV wont be running their Colts team either so Mildenhall and the IOW will be it (although I was once told that BV had to run the Colts as part of the deal they had with the council so that may have been a bum steer)

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Edited for accuracy

i dont know the answer but something has to be done to introduce and develop young british speedway riders,every club should make some level of commitment,perhaps a small individual 

meeting after league matches,£300 to the winner?? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, poole keith said:

i dont know the answer but something has to be done to introduce and develop young british speedway riders,every club should make some level of commitment,perhaps a small individual 

Great idea or get all clubs to run the meetings they sign up to

• Like 1

given the paucity of fixtures couldn't every club run a 2nd team? Perhaps using 6 and 7 too

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

I didn't think Newcastle ever had Tony Jackson as team manager 

Thank you, THJ

No, no, we didn't.  And only a fool would take anything away from Workington's achievements last season.

But George has run a successful team for over 20 years: something has gone wrong this year and I suspect (but probably will never know) that this season's team may not have been all his choices.

Doea anyone know if it is definitely the case that Rathbone (and Philips) are the new owners?

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

I personally think a change within at Newcastle would be great for the club. I think things have started to become stale. Ged Rathbone seems to be a perfect match. Is quite local to the area. Has good knowledge of how to run a club and will have fresh ideas to hopefully get Newcastle back challenging for honours. Maybe just rumours about him but i think he could definitely take the club forward. If it is the end of the English`s time at the diamonds i would like to thank them for all the hard work they as a family have put in to Newcastle speedway. I know George isn't everyone's cup of tea but you can't knock his passion and commitment.

• Like 1

Looks like another Teesside takeover of Tyneside if the rumours are true.

Personally think it would be good news for Newcastle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poole keith said:

Spot on..

Should have been implemented years ago..

However I wouldn't think too many clubs would want to pay out (or afford) £300...

There would be some mileage though if it was treated as 'free practice' I would reckon...

'Junior scurrys' should just be seen as experience and opportunity for lads to ride a bike and improve..

MX riders often pay to ride at grass roots level therefore entry level riders need to understand getting paid won't happen till they reach the top two leagues...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

I didn't think Newcastle ever had Tony Jackson as team manager who is surely the best team manager in British speedway following his treble winning exploits for Workington in 2018 (H18tory) with a team that everyone had written off at the start of the season before a wheel was turned.... (even him lol) (oh and with a little bit of help down at Ipswich when he couldn't make it so a brilliant; dashing; handsome and very modest stand-in took his place and pulled off a dramatic away win)

However you will be pleased to know you wont need to change your acronym as "In Ged We Trust" still turns out to be "IGWT"

Was told last night that Leicester aren't running their Cubs team next year and its starting to look like BV wont be running their Colts team either so Mildenhall and the IOW will be it (although I was once told that BV had to run the Colts as part of the deal they had with the council so that may have been a bum steer)

Regards
THJ

Easy THJ . you are giving too much information away about your I.D. we are not all good at maths (sums ) and 2 and 2 are starting to add up !

• Haha 1