British Speedway Forum

40 minutes ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

Thank you, THJ

No, no, we didn't.  And only a fool would take anything away from Workington's achievements last season.

But George has run a successful team for over 20 years: something has gone wrong this year and I suspect (but probably will never know) that this season's team may not have been all his choices.

Doea anyone know if it is definitely the case that Rathbone (and Philips) are the new owners?

This year's team I believe was all down to Martin and unfortunately I can't shed any light whatsoever on wether there has been a change of management or not... few rumours in the bar last night but nothing worth repeating...

No doubt it will all come out in time...

Regards

THJ

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

This year's team I believe was all down to Martin and unfortunately I can't shed any light whatsoever on wether there has been a change of management or not... few rumours in the bar last night but nothing worth repeating...

No doubt it will all come out in time...

Regards

THJ

On paper Martin did a sterling job.In reality the big boys wernt good enough..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bigred said:

It was a good team on paper,but the Heat Leaders let you down ,especially Bjerre and Jorgensen.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It was a good team on paper,but the Heat Leaders let you down ,especially Bjerre and Jorgensen.

We all knew that from day 1 baby bjerre was going to be trouble... Should've never been signed as his attitude is shocking

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pienpeesman said:

We all knew that from day 1 baby bjerre was going to be trouble... Should've never been signed as his attitude is shocking

He certainly has upset a lot of people at a couple of his previous clubs.

1 hour ago, bigred said:

57 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

The good thing about doing it on paper is,,, if you don't get it right you can always make aeroplanes ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think a change of management/ownership will do Newcastle speedway the world of good, hopefully the new regime will put a stop to all the hangers on and free loaders that litter the pits on a racenight, the amount of people that don’t pay to watch the meeting and have ridiculous jobs to do is disgraceful!!

Over the years George has done a good job at leading the Diamonds, but has become stale in recent years, some fresh blood with more enthusiasm would hopefully do the job.

Redcar are also very welcome to the abysmal patter and general drivel Roy Clarke serves up each week that man is frankly painful to listen to and his god awful nicknames for the riders would not be missed at all, It’s a blessing when the batteries in his microphone die!!

As for the team collectively as a 1-7 they have massively underperformed this season with the exception of Max Clegg, it’s been a rarity for all 7 to gel on the same night and this has shown in the results, here’s hoping we never see Lasse Bjerre in a Diamonds race jacket ever again.

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

He certainly has upset a lot of people at a couple of his previous clubs.

Just a couple

15 hours ago, Diamond_Delight said:

I think a change of management/ownership will do Newcastle speedway the world of good, hopefully the new regime will put a stop to all the hangers on and free loaders that litter the pits on a racenight, the amount of people that don’t pay to watch the meeting and have ridiculous jobs to do is disgraceful!!

Over the years George has done a good job at leading the Diamonds, but has become stale in recent years, some fresh blood with more enthusiasm would hopefully do the job.

Redcar are also very welcome to the abysmal patter and general drivel Roy Clarke serves up each week that man is frankly painful to listen to and his god awful nicknames for the riders would not be missed at all, It’s a blessing when the batteries in his microphone die!!

As for the team collectively as a 1-7 they have massively underperformed this season with the exception of Max Clegg, it’s been a rarity for all 7 to gel on the same night and this has shown in the results, here’s hoping we never see Lasse Bjerre in a Diamonds race jacket ever again.

Absolutely spot on about all the hangers on. I don't think there would be any other track in the country that has that many people hanging around the pits who have had freebies. Massive click at Newcastle. Definitely needs a good shake up.

17 hours ago, Diamond_Delight said:

Having been to every home and away meeting bar one this year I would say be careful what you wish for. Roy is by far one of the best centre green announcers, in my opinion, in the country. Having had to listen to some of the drivel at other tracks, or lack of it, when things go wrong, at least he tries  to keep folks entertained when there are unexpected and unavoidable delays. And he's respectful of the opposition.

maybe if you turned up at 10:00 on a sunday morning you would see what the "hangers on and freeloaders" get up to prior to the meeting starting. Most, if not all, have put in an 8 hour shift (for nothing except free entry) before you turn up. I don't suppose you would work 8 hours on a sunday for £17:00. And i know for a fact that some have season tickets.

Edited by leander
  • Like 9

22 minutes ago, leander said:

Having been to every home and away meeting bar one this year I would say be careful what you wish for. Roy is by far one of the best centre green announcers, in my opinion, in the country. Having had to listen to some of the drivel at other tracks, or lack of it, when things go wrong, at least he tries  to keep folks entertained when there are unexpected and unavoidable delays. And he's respectful of the opposition.

maybe if you turned up at 10:00 on a sunday morning you would see what the "hangers on and freeloaders" get up to prior to the meeting starting. Most, if not all, have put in an 8 hour shift (for nothing except free entry) before you turn up. I don't suppose you would work 8 hours on a sunday for £17:00. And i know for a fact that some have season tickets.

I get the very distinct impression from the posts on this thread that there is an anti Roy Clarke sentiment amongst certain Newcastle supporters.

Maybe they know something I'm not privy to, but as a regular at Brough Park over many years, I have to say that in my view he does an admirable job. He certainly stepped up at short notice when Andrew Dalby took time out and had the guts to go out there and do the job.

He might not be everyone's cup of tea, but so far as I'm concerned he is doing an excellent job as part of the promotion team even if you dislike his nicknames and banter etc'.

I don't for one moment think that there is a dearth of would be centre green speedway promoters, but if there are supporters with aspirations to do the job, maybe they should step forward and offer their services?

• Like 3

I’m another Roy Clarke supporter. There are far, far worse out there.

• Like 2

I don’t understand why people are turning on their own club, we’ve had a bad enough season without people turning on people like Roy who do it for the love of Newcastle Speedway, as previous post mention we could have a lot worse.

21 hours ago, Diamond_Delight said:

Don't forget to turn up on the 10th of November for winter track work storing away kickboards airfence etc..  from 10am until late afternoon.. bring warm clothes and waterproofs and join the team as we need a lot more VOLUNTEERS,, for the pathetic jobs as you mentioned.. please note if the pathetic jobs .never got done you could always go 60 miles north or 45 miles south to Berwick/Redcar for your speedway fix 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, pienpeesman said:

Don't forget to turn up on the 10th of November for winter track work storing away kickboards airfence etc..  from 10am until late afternoon.. bring warm clothes and waterproofs and join the team as we need a lot more VOLUNTEERS,, for the pathetic jobs as you mentioned.. please note if the pathetic jobs .never got done you could always go 60 miles north or 45 miles south to Berwick/Redcar for your speedway fix 

Don't forget to mention the free hot drinks and bicky's ;)

• Like 2