British Speedway Forum

As a fan of Roy Clarke I enjoy his time on the centre green as he breaks up the silence between races and like above i've been to other meetings were naff all happens between races.

The best impression Roy does is of Norman Collier or is that because the mic's and system at Redcar and Newcastle are rubbish and should be sorted as it's hit and miss while trying to listen to him

He's very welcome with us at Redcar and I said to him last night he best not be thinking of packing in.

38 minutes ago, Speedway4ever said:

As a fan of Roy Clarke I enjoy his time on the centre green as he breaks up the silence between races and like above i've been to other meetings were naff all happens between races.

The best impression Roy does is of Norman Collier or is that because the mic's and system at Redcar and Newcastle are rubbish and should be sorted as it's hit and miss while trying to listen to him

He's very welcome with us at Redcar and I said to him last night he best not be thinking of packing in.

I remember when he first started at Redcar and no-one had a good word for him and his humour. It was noticible that he toned his accent down, and more people took to him. He is good at filling in as shown, along with Dalbers, when he lost over an hour at Brough when the we had the horror crash of Greaves and Palm Toft horror crash on the back straight.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I’m another Roy Clarke supporter. There are far, far worse out there.

Agree,,, not long ago, after Dalbers and before Roy, we had a guy that could probly tell you at what stage the paint was at whilst it was drying.

Announcers have to be very careful about what they say in today's over sensitive society, but I can get away with Roy, as I don't always listen to what he says, or waffles on about ;)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Agree,,, not long ago, after Dalbers and before Roy, we had a guy that could probly tell you at what stage the paint was at whilst it was drying.

Announcers have to be very careful about what they say in today's over sensitive society, but I can get away with Roy, as I don't always listen to what he says, or waffles on about ;)

Trying to remember his name. Can you remember it.? 

24 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I remember when he first started at Redcar and no-one had a good word for him and his humour. It was noticible that he toned his accent down, and more people took to him. He is good at filling in as shown, along with Dalbers, when he lost over am hour at Brough when the we had the horror crash of Greaces and Palm Toft horror crash on the back straight.

Crazy Northern humour is the best.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

No idea mate, but he would have probly been ok at doing snooker.

Not trying to 'diss' him btw, but a don't think anyone must have checked his CV.

Edited by ruffdiamond

12 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Dave Allen (sp) (There was another who lasted about four weeks, but I can't remember his name!)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Speedway4ever said:

Don't think he's hanging the mic up, just not doing the "Ranting Roy" column in the RaceDay Mag.

13 hours ago, Speedway4ever said:

When he was at Berwick he was a bit “over the top” with the nicknames ect,but he was very informative regarding the the sport and good filling in between races.

• Like 1

There was an announcer whose surname was either Bird or Shield. The week he came George greeted him in the programme,  then the week after apologised for getting his name wrong.

Either way, he was hopeless. 

I recall a bloke who did the job for a long time who was very knowledgeable about speedway. He was very good and maybe performed this role at other events, not necessarily speedway.

Again just a recollection but his Christian name may have been Steve

1 hour ago, Aceslider said:

I recall a bloke who did the job for a long time who was very knowledgeable about speedway. He was very good and maybe performed this role at other events, not necessarily speedway.

Again just a recollection but his Christian name may have been Steve

It was Steve. He was a Post Office person, and he left to go down to the Humberside area. Walked around a lot, good voice and content with black hair. I remember he came back for a little while, while we were stuck, Newcastle's own version of the "Guest'  system. He was with us though the 90's and early 00's I think. I thought he was very professional.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

It was Steve. He was a Post Office person, and he left to go down to the Humberside area. Walked around a lot, good voice and content with black hair. I remember he came back for a little while, while we were stuck, Newcastle's own version of the "Guest'  system. He was with us though the 90's and early 00's I think. I thought he was very professional.

Did Mike Bennett not do it for a season or two ?? 

21 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

Don't forget to turn up on the 10th of November for winter track work storing away kickboards airfence etc..  from 10am until late afternoon.. bring warm clothes and waterproofs and join the team as we need a lot more VOLUNTEERS,, for the pathetic jobs as you mentioned.. please note if the pathetic jobs .never got done you could always go 60 miles north or 45 miles south to Berwick/Redcar for your speedway fix 

I seem to remember that you even had 1 of this years team turning out most weeks during the winter helping with track work, cleaning, replacing ready for this last year.

• Like 2

Just now, IronScorpion said:

I seem to remember that you even had 1 of this years team turning out most weeks during the winter helping with track work, cleaning, replacing ready for this last year.

That and grafting in the track shop were the best shifts he put in all season

Regards
THJ

• Haha 4