British Speedway Forum

10 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

I got shot down last year when I posted how poor Danny Phillips was for  Scunthorpe in 2018 

So one year on how did it he Diamond fans think he did ?, did he improve his average in a watered down leagu ? and finally would you have him back for 2019 

There's one thing posting how poor he was and it's another thing being completely disrespectful and disgusting to the lad...

Personally I would watch NL meetings at Newcastle because at least the teams would be full of young Brits who want to go somewhere... My experiences of NL speedway was they're the best meetings I've ever seen (Racing wise)... And that includes all the GPs I've been to...

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, highside said:

Worrying silence coming out of the promoters .

Yes, I better phone me mate.

48 minutes ago, highside said:

Don't they make a big announcement at the end tonight???...

16 hours ago, mikebv said:

It ultimately goes back to a lack of clear demarcation between the Leagues which is driven in so many ways by the vanity of the Promoters 'playing above their level'...

Poole are dropping down because they are not making the money Matt Ford wants to make, and many criticise him for it, however, it is 1000% the right decision as a business man..

He could decide to keep rubbing shoulders with the 'top riders' but has decided to cut his cloth accordingly..

Doubling up/down is a classic example of Promoters wanting better riders in their teams than their bank accounts can afford, and is only in place to provide them with these riders who, by the same, need to make ends meet by riding in two leagues..

There should be three clear Leagues based on support and income. With clear differing levels to make them aspirational, not comfort zoned..

League One = Teams who get circa 1000+ on average.

£18 x 1000 punters = £18,000 (ex vat equals £14400). @£100 average per point equals £9000 for an average of 90 points home and away. Meaning £5400 to pay other meeting costs. (Not including any other income streams).

League Two = Teams who get circa 600 minimum to 999 on average.

£15 × 600 punters = £9,000 (ex vat equals £7200). @£50 average per point equals £4500 for 90 points home and away. Meaning £2700 to pay other meeting costs. (Not including any other income streams).

League Three = Teams who get circa 300 minimum to 599 on average.

£12 x 300 punters = £3600 (ex vat equals £2880). @£10 average per point equals £900 for 90 points home and away. Meaning £2700 to pay other meeting costs. (Not including any other income streams).

In the top Two Leagues, individual deals are negotiated but the whole outlay is never higher than the £ per point average in total. 

And in League Three all get the same 'entry level Speedway' money..

Time to align the Three Leagues for aspirational advancement both for the riders and the teams themselves.  

As you organically grow then you move up. If you recede then you drop...

Each though (riders and teams) 'play at their true level'..

Riders averages should be capped in the lower leagues. Would be much better racing if you had a two full teams of 6 point men riding against each other rather than Cookie against Danny Phillips

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, cometbaz said:

Riders averages should be capped in the lower leagues. Would be much better racing if you had a two full teams of 6 point men riding against each other rather than Cookie against Danny Phillips

It should be the case across all the leagues. A range of three to six point riders in every race will produce a better product than ten to two, even the Prem has made a clever decision this year by upping the lower level and the product has been improved overall (crikey that was hard to say).

17 hours ago, DC2 said:

I make that £18,000 for a 6 point rider in the PL, riding 30 matches in the season?

That would have to be a net return to make it worthwhile, with all engines, tuning, equipment, vans, petrol and mechanics to be covered by sponsorship.

Sadly the sport as we can see no longer can support the costs that riders need to spend. If the promoters were all running around in Rolls Royce cars with sheep skin coats and big cigars then riders would have a case for getting what we all believe they are worth. The sport has to go back to basics and build from the bottom and that has to include the riders. 

We have to realise that apart from the very top level that the sport now is a part time sport for riders and unless you have some really good sponsors then you have a job which supplements your income like they had a few years ago.

Ive first hand experience of the costs and stresses involved but if something can't sustain itself then it has to change sadly.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Parsy29 said:

Sadly the sport as we can see no longer can support the costs that riders need to spend. If the promoters were all running around in Rolls Royce cars with sheep skin coats and big cigars then riders would have a case for getting what we all believe they are worth. The sport has to go back to basics and build from the bottom and that has to include the riders. 

We have to realise that apart from the very top level that the sport now is a part time sport for riders and unless you have some really good sponsors then you have a job which supplements your income like they had a few years ago.

Ive first hand experience of the costs and stresses involved but if something can't sustain itself then it has to change sadly.

Standard bikes per league . Say for instance in the lower league for example a standard jawa 2nd tier a standard GM 1st tier better race tuned machines.. I would guess that could cut costs and steadily improve riders from the lower leagues + it would be great to see more tracks In the north along with scunny Redcar Northside & Dunn's at Berwick to put more practice or amateur days on if possible of course as I know for 1 Newcastle would struggle to do it

4 hours ago, Parsy29 said:

Spot on...

But that's been the issue for a good many years, yet it appears that the heads are still firmly in the sand..

No doubt during the AGM much passion and time will be shown and spent on discussing how 0.1 of a point will effect each teams average.

Some will argue for an increase.

Some will argue just as vociferously for a decrease..

Yet the real fundamental issues that you allude to will still not be resolved...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dandelion said:

There's one thing posting how poor he was and it's another thing being completely disrespectful and disgusting to the lad...

Personally I would watch NL meetings at Newcastle because at least the teams would be full of young Brits who want to go somewhere... My experiences of NL speedway was they're the best meetings I've ever seen (Racing wise)... And that includes all the GPs I've been to...

41 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

The so called lad has been has been racing National League for 8 yrs now,so there has to be improvement surely ?

Phillips has had backing and opportunities that many others have not. In reality he went from 3.00 - 4.98 in 2014, 4.98 - 6.38 in 2015 and that has largely been the sum of his progress. He stagnated in 2016 before his nasty accident in 2017 and has continued to be an average 6 point NL rider.  In my mind signing these are the types of riders repeatedly spoils the sport, offer progress or move on and give someone else a chance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, highside said:

Still discussing who is picking up the Tab for last round of drinks.Buster says he will, but the rest are wary:P;)

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Still discussing who is picking up the Tab for last round of drinks.Buster says he will, but the rest are wary:P;)

Is today the final day of the p155 up or agm as it’s known ? When can we expect news to come from it ?