British Speedway Forum

13 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

Also the championship needs Newcastle to equal the north /South league up as well 

Yeah, and also, Rough Park gives the throttle jockeys a challenge ;)

• Like 1

Interesting that Newcastle Diamonds has been given an Extension to seek extra investment which would allow them to run again if 2020. When we revived the Diamonds In 1997, our first year with George, Me and  Peter Gibson,  the ownership of the stadium was taken over by Receivers KPMG, and the 3 leading bidders for the stadium all declared that they wanted and need the Speedway to run the stadium. We went to the AGM to say we couldn't for sure say we were running, but we were convinced the stadium sale would ensue we ran in 1998. That was accepted by the BSPA, and John Campbell proceeded to include Newcastle Diamonds in the Premier League and both Cups. The sale of the Stadium went though in January 98, and we were include in the fixtures and we started to add to the couple of riders that stayed loyal to us with a young scamp called Nicki P. Matches started in March 98, then on 1st April 98 I received an Invoice from the BSPA for a £5,000 pounds fine for not being able to say we were running.in 98. A protest was ignored even though we didn't have the money but we had to pay it in a short period .  Fortunately, most of the big boys on the BSPA MC have lesser power now, so one would need to check that history is not repeated with a new promotion trying the benefit the general sport of Speedway. I do think with the current state of Speedway, the newer hands will not be so self centred and allow a team to return without a damaging punitive fine.   

I wish the attempt the very best of luck if we can find the capital to make sure it runs in 2020. :)

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Interesting that Newcastle Diamonds has been given an Extension to seek extra investment which would allow them to run again if 2020. When we revived the Diamonds In 1997, our first year with George, Me and  Peter Gibson,  the ownership of the stadium was taken over by Receivers KPMG, and the 3 leading bidders for the stadium all declared that they wanted and need the Speedway to run the stadium. We went to the AGM to say we couldn't for sure say we were running, but we were convinced the stadium sale would ensue we ran in 1998. That was accepted by the BSPA, and John Campbell proceeded to include Newcastle Diamonds in the Premier League and both Cups. The sale of the Stadium went though in January 98, and we were include in the fixtures and we started to add to the couple of riders that stayed loyal to us with a young scamp called Nicki P. Matches started in March 98, then on 1st April 98 I received an Invoice from the BSPA for a £5,000 pounds fine for not being able to say we were running.in 98. A protest was ignored even though we didn't have the money but we had to pay it in a short period .  Fortunately, most of the big boys on the BSPA MC have lesser power now, so one would need to check that history is not repeated with a new promotion trying the benefit the general sport of Speedway. I do think with the current state of Speedway, the newer hands will not be so self centred and allow a team to return without a damaging punitive fine.   

I wish the attempt the very best of luck if we can find the capital to make sure it runs 98. :)

Put you on the spot Dave. Do you think Newcastle will run next season?

2 minutes ago, Winditon said:

If not perhaps they could text the BSPA to let them know? 

Edited by phillipsr

4 minutes ago, Winditon said:

instead of 98?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Winditon said:

It really not for me to say, but I hope so. When we restarted it in 1997, we had to rebuild from scratch with a new track, fence. shale, pits, fans and of course a new team. Those things, except the team, are already in place so it's just a case of reassembling it and look for a new Nicki P. George must be involved.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

If not perhaps they could text the BSPA to let them know? 

'Bring out your dead'.:nono:

2 hours ago, bigred said:

Is today the final day of the p155 up or agm as it’s known ? When can we expect news to come from it ? 

Yes ,today is final day.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

It really not for me to say, but I hope so. When we restarted it in 1997, we had to rebuild from scratch with a new track, fence. shale, pits, fans and of course a new team. Those things, except the team, are already in place so it's just a case of reassembling it and look for a new Nicki P. George must be involved.

Fingers crossed Dave but i think the state of Speedway is probably a lot worse than in 97. 

It would be wonderful and nostalgic for Newcastle Speedway to be at Brough Park for many years to come, but what about moving to somewhere new/cheaper in the long run, where they can have all profits on food, alcohol, not paying rent every year? Imagine the money as a club Newcastle could have saved or make, I would love to see how much the owners now make on the alcohol alone!!! THJ!!!

Does anyone know how long “ the period of grace is ? “

Whoever comes in at this critical time needs to accept that this coming season will be tough due to riders getting/ already signing for other clubs, leaving scraps to be picked up.

Ged may be thinking of coming in but will be busy contacting riders to see what sort of team he can put together before committing.

By the end of next week the pool of riders will have shrunk and by the end of the month I reckon we will no either way.

If Danny has gone to Redcar I would imagine his father and family will probably lose interest in Newcastle rather quickly.

Worrying times.

• Like 1