British Speedway Forum

11 hours ago, DC2 said:

But it’s not a good idea to have a league table skewed by teams racing some opponents more than others.

That’s just daft.

Why not have a proper league with 22 fixtures, one home and one away against each of the other opponents, and a separate competition divided into north and south conferences?

Instead they’ve combined the two and made a pig’s ear.

Far to sensible and straightforward 

17 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Far to sensible and straightforward 

Cant knock them for continuity tho.

11 hours ago, DC2 said:

But it’s not a good idea to have a league table skewed by teams racing some opponents more than others.

That’s just daft.

Why not have a proper league with 22 fixtures, one home and one away against each of the other opponents, and a separate competition divided into north and south conferences?

Instead they’ve combined the two and made a pig’s ear.

They're hoping to have the Shield or similar up and running as well so that would be even more matches.

I think they're going on the fact league meetings are far better attended than other meaningless competitions

• Like 1

Why is all this guff about league structures being discussed on the Newcastle thread, at a time the very future of the Diamonds is in real doubt, and the concentration of minds and offered opinions should be about the club's survival?

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Why is all this guff about league structures being discussed on the Newcastle thread, at a time the very future of the Diamonds is in real doubt, and the concentration of minds and offered opinions should be about the club's survival?

Go on then, let’s have a bright idea.

Have you started a “Save Newcastle Speedway Campaign” and raised money from local businesses?

42 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

They're hoping to have the Shield or similar up and running as well so that would be even more matches.

I think they're going on the fact league meetings are far better attended than other meaningless competitions

So scrap the shield and make the league 2 home and 2 away

5 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Or start with the league having one home and one away and then divide the table into top six and bottom six who race only against each other home and away and then have the play offs between the top three from the top six and the top three from the bottom six.

Basing it on the Countdown numbers game rather than American football.

Oh, no, hang on, that would be one from the top six and five from the bottom!  :)

Edited by DC2
  • Haha 1

I know it's unusual for anyone involved in speedway to actually talk about money but it would be nice if the promoters told us how much money they need to run next year and then possiblly the true fans migt be able to help.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, erniew said:

I know it's unusual for anyone involved in speedway to actually talk about money but it would be nice if the promoters told us how much money they need to run next year and then possiblly the true fans migt be able to help.

or the "true fans" you speak of could mobilise themselves right now (social media makes it pretty easy) and pledge £x thousand to encourage a positive outcome. 

3 hours ago, crescent girl said:

It’s a forum,you can discuss what you want.:rolleyes:

13 hours ago, StevePark said:

When they got to the 'nitty gritty' extra financial implications were then put upon them, which they were not aware of when initially wanting to move up.

Their Website says: "HAVING BEEN GRANTED PERMISSION TO PUT ITS CREDENTIALS TO THE SPORTS GENERAL COUNCIL AT THE AGM HELD IN COVENTRY THIS WEEK, THE REQUIREMENT OF NEW AND PREVIOUSLY UNFORESEEN CONDITIONS OF ENTRY; WHICH WOULD HAVE MEANT INCREASED FINANCIAL ASSURANCES AND BONDS HAVING TO BE PAID IMMEDIATELY, MEANT THAT THE PROMOTION HAD NO ALTERNATIVE BUT TO WITHDRAW THE APPLICATION ON THE GROUNDS OF THE MEDIUM AND LONG TERM FINANCIAL SECURITY OF THE CLUB."

OK cheers

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

Or start with the league having one home and one away and then divide the table into top six and bottom six who race only against each other home and away and then have the play offs between the top three from the top six and the top three from the bottom six.

Oh, no, hang on, that would be one from the top six and five from the bottom!  :)

I think the main point was to bring more local clashes as they bring in the most money. 

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

That idea needs a "Word Round" too..

Consonant, Consonant, Vowel, Consonant, Consonant, Consonant, Consonant, Vowel..

L L O C K S B O...

:D

Edited by mikebv
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, erniew said:

On 11/13/2019 at 11:43 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

No he's two million miles away... av offered twice and been knocked back... sorry to say there wont be a third time...

It's to late... where's the riders... where's Dandelion when you need her... there ain't any one left of note to build a team around...  a said a few weeks back that a was worried... even more so now...

Pull the accounts for Newspeed off the Companies House web site and if anyone can square the circle send me a PM and I will stick some cash in... or at least more than I have over the last nine years...

Here's a plea 10 companies or individuals set up a trust stick 5 grand each in each and pledge to do it for the next 3 years and that will potentially keep the place afloat... do that and I am in but you need to be aware that this will basically only cover the stadium rent of around 1600 quid which I believe is the second highest in the country and the medical cover of around a grand for an 18 home meetings season...

Or find one person or company to stick in 50k but who would do that without wanting some control...

Never say never but I honestly think we are at the nearly stage and here's another one... if as rumoured George walks will all his pals walk with him... from turnstile operators to track staff... that leaves one hell of a gap at the club...

I'm putting wads of cash on that Euro and if I cop the lot it will be no problem but my company isn't big enough to back a Speedway team... oh but I wish it was... I am prepared to help but can't do it on my own unfortunately...

Over to anyone else out there... (if it helps there is one other chap I have spoken to who is a genuine guy and two other possibilities) (So six more required)

Regards 

THJ 

That might give you an idea and, it sort of ties-in with numbers that I have heard.