British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

As 'THJ' said, I don't believe there is a rule to prevent it, indeed in 2017 Kings Lynn and Swindon both started the season with riders over 12 - albeit with a 50 point limit.

2017 was different as the top league used middle leagues averages for initial declarations. 
But, Joe Screen was blocked from riding with Glasgow in 2010 (or thereabouts) as his converted average would have been 12.06. He started the season with Wolverhampton and, when his average dropped below 6, and they dropped him, joined Glasgow mid season 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

I didn't think you could have anyone over a 12 point average as it's actually impossible to reach when on an actual average.

It is but you can have any figure you want for team building it just restricts you further down the team having less points to use (play with) for the remaining riders 

3 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

As 'THJ' said, I don't believe there is a rule to prevent it, indeed in 2017 Kings Lynn and Swindon both started the season with riders over 12 - albeit with a 50 point limit.

Spot on and Doyle was one who was on around a 13 point average for team building purposes

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Potentially it could stack up as a genuine business move especially if the rider is friends of the club and attracts more supporters than he takes away in points monies....i did say could.

Potentially... It all depends as Worky brought Cookie in (on a normal average) and reckoned they would cover his "additional wage and cost" by attracting more punters through the door with him being a top rider and local lad and it didn't put one extra soul on the gate; not one additional body (they budgeted for 60 by the way which wasn't unreasonable)... Now if that had of been Stoney I reckon he would have put a 100 at least on the crowd as he was a legend at the spot; Same as Nikki Ped at Newcastle I reckon the love the fans have for him and his popularity and celebrity would shine through and Nikki would stick a hundred more bodies on the crowd figures at Newcastle for sure...

3 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

2017 was different as the top league used middle leagues averages for initial declarations. 
But, Joe Screen was blocked from riding with Glasgow in 2010 (or thereabouts) as his converted average would have been 12.06. He started the season with Wolverhampton and, when his average dropped below 6, and they dropped him, joined Glasgow mid season 

Totally correct... how times have changed... Ahem.... (Glasgow to far North? May be if you had been in the Southern clique it would have been okay to bend the rules... sniff...) but the last time it happened it was to try and realign the averages so a precedent has now been set would be my argument

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling,

On 11/19/2019 at 9:57 AM, StevePark said:

Ondrej Smetana?

So Steve you gave us Ondrej Smetana? who I think is a very good shout and I am going to raise your Ondrej Smetana and come back with Jurica Pavlic... Get your investigative head on and pick the bones out of that one.... What sort of averages would these guys come in on?

Regards
THJ 

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

So Steve you gave us Ondrej Smetana? who I think is a very good shout and I am going to raise your Ondrej Smetana and come back with Jurica Pavlic... Get your investigative head on and pick the bones out of that one.... What sort of averages would these guys come in on?

Regards
THJ 

What about Jonas Jeppesen? Surely someone has to pick him up on a 5.2!

Edit: actually I think he may have to take a converted premiership assessed average of 6.4? Still worth a bash though!

Edited by Marshall07
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is but you can have any figure you want for team building it just restricts you further down the team having less points to use (play with) for the remaining riders 

Spot on and Doyle was one who was on around a 13 point average for team building purposes

Potentially... It all depends as Worky brought Cookie in (on a normal average) and reckoned they would cover his "additional wage and cost" by attracting more punters through the door with him being a top rider and local lad and it didn't put one extra soul on the gate; not one additional body (they budgeted for 60 by the way which wasn't unreasonable)... Now if that had of been Stoney I reckon he would have put a 100 at least on the crowd as he was a legend at the spot; Same as Nikki Ped at Newcastle I reckon the love the fans have for him and his popularity and celebrity would shine through and Nikki would stick a hundred more bodies on the crowd figures at Newcastle for sure...

Totally correct... how times have changed... Ahem.... (Glasgow to far North? May be if you had been in the Southern clique it would have been okay to bend the rules... sniff...) but the last time it happened it was to try and realign the averages so a precedent has now been set would be my argument

Regards
THJ

I don't think Nicki would ever come back, well not to ride, what about Bjarne, would he not be a better shout to try and tempt back.  I know he is retiring but he is doing one last year and the last time he came back the place had a real buzz.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, diamond@heart said:

I don't think Nicki would ever come back, well not to ride, what about Bjarne, would he not be a better shout to try and tempt back.  I know he is retiring but he is doing one last year and the last time he came back the place had a real buzz.

I believe Bjarne is contracted in Poland for 2020.

16 minutes ago, diamond@heart said:

There you go another dreamer...  and you never know till you ask... I bet the some of the Sheffield promotion may be thought that but it became a reality... that spark of ambition that develops into a flame of hope and glory

10 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

I believe Bjarne is contracted in Poland for 2020.

Then someone has a waz on the fire and puts that idea well and truly out... lol

Never mind we live in hope; but the news isn't all doom and gloom

Keep watching the Newcastle Web Site for some Good News hopefully breaking soon...

Regards
THJ

• Like 3

Like you say you never know until you ask

Remember Rosco enquiring about Emil whilst at Coventry and being as surprised as anyone else when he said yes

• Like 1

There you go another dreamer...  and you never know till you ask... I bet the some of the Sheffield promotion may be thought that but it became a reality... that spark of ambition that develops into a flame of hope and glory

Keep watching the Newcastle Web Site for some Good News hopefully breaking soon...

Regards
THJ

Inside knowledge THJ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

In terms of viability it would only concern he home crowd as i suspect as many Plymouth fans would travel to Newcastle as vice versa. In terms of NL it depends how sensible promotions are as technically there are less potential team places for riders and therefore demands shouldn't be as high BUT there is often one side who scoops up the best available by putting together strong packages.

Biggest problem would be the fact that the rent would still be the same and put an even bigger hole (percentage wise) into the budget.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, leander said:

Biggest problem would be the fact that the rent would still be the same and put an even bigger hole (percentage wise) into the budget.

The rent would need to be renegotiated.

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

The rent would need to be renegotiated.

Well we are going into the final year of our lease agreement so the end of next season is when the hard negotiating will need to be done or better still find somewhere else and build our own legacy... the landlords have always played hard ball over the rental situation...

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

Regards
THJ

Has Danny signed for Redcar???;)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Well we are going into the final year of our lease agreement so the end of next season is when the hard negotiating will need to be done or better still find somewhere else and build our own legacy... the landlords have always played hard ball over the rental situation...

Regards
THJ

Put the feelers out that you are already looking for land for 2021. Would the landlords then lower the rent knowing they could lose the rent forever?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Put the feelers out that you are already looking for land for 2021. Would the landlords then lower the rent knowing they could lose the rent forever?

No the track has new owners who don't want to be responsible for the demise of the Speedway as corporately they don't do negative press it their big No-No, however if the Speedway were to fold or walk away of their own volition there wouldn't be any tears shed. 

As the dog racing from the track is pumped into betting shops around the country four days a week its a very lucrative business for them... what they get and make from the Speedway is a drop in the ocean to them which they could take or leave...

However the positive note is they do not want to be seen as the company what collapsed the Speedway... as I say they don't do negative press and I think they would be supportive in what the promotion are trying to achieve, but again that may not manifest itself in a substantial reduction in rental of the stadium... but as landlords go I don't believe they are all that unreasonable...

Just not ideal though is it...

Regards
THJ

• Like 1