British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

It was a good night, well attended, and as Dalbers said, congrats to the fans for the most disciplined fans meeting we have ever had. Could agree with that as I think we were all in anticipation of what was being revealed, and everything was very positive. Rob's not the young lad he was, and is now a accomplished successful businessman who wants to bring success to Newcastle Speedway, and mix it with his other business interests to brighten things up and make meetings more entertaining for both adults and kids. Talk of fairground rides both in the carpark and inside the entry area to be open when the gates open at 5.30, but that could be revised at some stage. Two riders announced Max and Matty so everyone happy with them, two more signings I think at the end of this week, another two the week after and the final one at the Xmas Party at the PTE on Fri 20th Dec, prices with a buffet £8 with other reduced prices. First meeting on the Sun 29th March will be the 90th anniversary meeting held over, and prices will be £10 per adult and concessions £5. The field will be made up of the current team, plus a lot of previous Diamonds. Rob has talked to Bjarne not necessarily to ride, but to be there to meet everyone again. He is also going to talk to Nikki and KB. George pointed out that with the meeting being early season, unlike last year,  and with the early Ben Fund Meeting, most riders will be looking for rides before the season starts proper. Good point. Season ticket prices currently under discussion and they will cover the 16 league meetings plus the KO Cup match, but not the 90th Anniversary meeting as that's already been discounted down to £10 per adult. Meetings in future with be ramped up with attractions and maybe stunt riders on the centre green, special events for the kids mainly aiming for 7-9 years old. Music to be really ramped up so that there is no standing doing nothing and no music for atmosphere. Something will be going on all the time so there is no dull moment. The meeting will be going on as usual, but the extra entertainment will not delay the proceedings and the first meeting will always will be followed by a second half for junior racing. The Gems will be continued and new riders will be encouraged in order to build up a stock of young riders. Rob said 6 riders have been signed and talks are still on going with the 7th rider. All riders were capable of increasing their averages and all want to ride for Newcastle. The ownership of the speedway in now in the hands of Rob jnr, being the single shareholder, George and Dave Tattum as Co Promoters, Neil Machen as adviser and Dalbers as the club Secretary. Special thanks went to Vaughan Jones who has worked alongside everyone during the transition period, and guided the promotion to a successful conclusion from the previous promotion. Vaughan and Tim Scott had been in a similar position in about 2002 advising George, Darryl and myself.

At the end of the night I would say there was a full room of fans leaving the room pleased at what they had heard, and looking forward to more info about the team and the meeting arrangements. See you all at the Xmas party PTE on Fri 20th Dec for more surprises and news.

Dave, in your opinion, do you think that the team has already been just about signed up and the new promotion are purposely drip feeding the riders to maximise excitement and publicity?

Edited by acclennell
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Dunno, maybe,,,

Vissing 

Bjerre 

Ludde

Mountain 

Bowtell

Only the bottom 2 for me please

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, acclennell said:

Dave, in your opinion, do you think that the team has already been just about signed up and the new promotion are purposely drip feeding the riders to maximise excitement and publicity?

Yes I do. I think Rob wants to keep the excitement going, climaxing with some really good news at the Xmas Party. Lots of interest and we need to stick with it and Rob won't disappoint. He hasn't come in to lose  money so he will give it a good go. Remember that in other business's you can increase the price, but in speedway the entrance price is really controlled by what others charge so more effort has to be made to increase the crowd and what they spend.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Vissing has no improvement on his average at all so could be a different number 1? Although to be fair I don’t think Clegg or Wethers does and they’re first signings so doesn’t really mean a lot

Am sort of inclined to agree re. Vissing,,, but he has put a good point and a half on his 2019 starting average. Albeit riding under Cook and Jensen, but still it's no mean feat at that end of the points. I seem to remember Ludde and Kus posting their best averages whilst being under Lambert and Worrall. Also his 2019 scores at Brough, saw quite an improvement. Never been a big fan of him, but wouldn't right him off. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Yes I do. I think Rob wants to keep the excitement going, climaxing with some really good news at the Xmas Party. Lots of interest and we need to stick with it and Rob won't disappoint. He hasn't come in to lose  money so he will give it a good go. Remember that in other business's you can increase the price, but in speedway the entrance price is really controlled by what others charge so more effort has to be made to increase the crowd and what they spend.  

It's good to generate as much interest as possible, for as long as you can. Hopefully the Christmas party/do/disco thing is jumping, (just like last time :blink:)

26 minutes ago, pienpeesman said:

Only the bottom 2 for me please

Just trying to do some 'mental maths' pal,,, what other 3 would you chuck in?

1 hour ago, acclennell said:

Six agreed, just awaiting the appropriate signatures on contracts etc., rather than just drip feeding riders. 90% there with the 7th. That's what I heard anyway. 

Rob also said he reckoned we'll have the strongest reserve pairing in the league, so no Danny Phillips!!! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Dunno, maybe,,,

Vissing 

Bjerre 

Ludde

Mountain 

Bowtell

George said he would put  money on that nobody on the room last night would have the remotest idea who at least one of the signings was, and it'll be a big surprise. I, for one, await this news with interest.

2 minutes ago, leander said:

George said he would put  money on that nobody on the room last night would have the remotest idea who at least one of the signings was, and it'll be a big surprise. I, for one, await this news with interest.

No one would have any idea who they are, or no one would expect them to be signed by Newcastle?

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

Just trying to do some 'mental maths' pal,,, what other 3 would you chuck in?

How about giving the likes of Smetana a go on a 5 point average along with matty & max & maybe an Ellis type for number 1 & a big hitter at 5 also likes of jaimon lidsey but I reckon him & Ellis may be in Poland but if we could get something along that line of rider with the potential of putting a point per man across the board that's a winning team ..

Edited by pienpeesman
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, leander said:

A wasn't in the room ;)

6 minutes ago, pienpeesman said:

How about giving the likes of Smetana a go on a 5 point average along with matty & max & maybe an Ellis type for number 1 & a big hitter at 5 also likes of jaimon lidsey but I reckon him & Ellis may be in Poland but if we could get something along that line of rider with the potential of putting a point per man across the board that's a winning team ..

So,,, Smetana and another two ? :t:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Got to be honest there is a bit of a buzz about the place not seen for a good few years. Already signed the 2 riders from last year the supporters would have wanted, ideas to give extended entertainment throughout the meeting and a couple of possible shock signings incoming. Took over last week, but sure is making inroads immediately and imho has probably been sounding out the signings even before he took the plunge. Brought together an experienced team to help out also. 

• Like 2