British Speedway Forum

1 minute ago, ruffdiamond said:

I get what you say, but two wrongs don't always make a right. You might get to find out if your in the secret club ;)

I'm certainly not in that :) Haha... Are you?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

You wouldnt be able to tell who he was as he would fit right in with the rest of the crackers...

It can be done to build a team as it has in the past however would anyone realistically use up that many build points on one rider... 

I'm hearing there has had to be a change of plans as it looks like one of the targets has backed out...

Wouldn't surprise me now if Newcastle end up with two 5 point plus reserves...

Regards 

THJ 

We're even running out of them... Unless we go with Max at 7 and Lasse at 6...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

I get what you say, but two wrongs don't always make a right. You might get to find out if your in the secret club ;)

I have always said talk is cheap...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

He’s being sarcastic on behalf of our friend Dandelion who actually thinks some of these riders are achievable

Honestly 

Someone who finally gets it... and I've had to Quote it to hopefully get the message over...

It's been a slow news day and a storm has rolled in....

Regards 

THJ 

Honestly Guys

I would just like to get this out there.... as I have received several PM's Texts and even telephone calls over the weekend asking me what the team is and who is coming to Newcastle and what do I know with regards to incoming riders...

Honestly I know nothing!!! and can honestly add the following

1. I am not connected to the club in any way shape or form other than I have invested in the club and their riders in excess of £30k in the last 10 years in the form of sponsorship either direct to the riders or direct to the club; and this does not include investing in the ridiculously over priced things like race bibs; kevlars; pictures; posters; helmets and an array of other "crepe" now hanging on my office walls picked up in club auctions and raffles; or sponsoring individual meetings; or chucking a grand into the air fence fund when that first started or the £100 max £50 paid max bonus I give to the riders when they achieve that milestone in a home match.

2. I have not spoken to Rob Grant or anyone else from the club other than Dalbers about when a group I had pulled together to invest in the club were ready to step in following suggestions that we may not run but when Rob Grant came to the fore we backed off.

3. The last Director I was involved with at Newcastle was Darryl Illingworth who left 4/5 year ago now and I gave Alan Hedley some support with phone numbers of riders some 4 year back now that proved successful for him signing a couple of riders and that was the last time I got any information on who the club were chasing. When Darryl left I gave more support to Workington and for 4 or 5 seasons I invested between 8 to 12 grand a year for these years between both clubs

4. All I am doing is responding to that clown Dandelion in the first instance and anyone else who puts forward ridiculous names and choices of possible team selections (with some added humour hopefully); however its a mickey take; fake news; and I would suggest to all the secret squirrels out there don't take things so seriously FFS it will be what it will be at the end of the day and all I would say is give Rob Grant a chance.

5. What I do know (and all I know) for sure is what we were given at the Gosforth Club Meeting by George English and Rob Grant themselves; which was Clegg and Wethers have signed on; Clegg will probably be in the main body of the team; "we won't believe who one of the signings will be" and we will be asking "how did they manage to get him" as stated by George English. We were told we will have strong reserves and that there were 6 offers out to riders (2 accepted) and one still to finalise and finally that there would be 2 or 3 riders names released this week with the other 2 or 3 released at the Christmas party. That's it... nothing that isn't already known or out in the public domain.

6. What I will add is George English has always operated a "Secret Service" approach when signing his riders and tried to lock down the process but riders (and mechanics; especially mechanics) talk and word gets out and this late in the season when the pool of available riders is looking decidedly dry it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what the potential make up of the team will be.

7. What I will also add is I was very impressed at the Gosforth "talk in" and the vision Rob Grant has for the team; the club and and the sport going forward and I do genuinely wish him all the success in the world in his new venture promoting speedway.

8. For those who have asked where I get my selections and names from I would say the following; firstly what you must remember is Newcastle are a Sunday team which rules out a great deal of riders who have Polish ambitions; Newcastle currently do not have the relevant licences to bring in Aussies Kiwis or Americans who need work visas which takes these guys out of the equation; demographics and being in the cold North East Newcastle tend to offer "sweeteners" to attract riders however as most of the riders are now fixed up so this puts Newcastle decidedly on the back foot. Two year back Newcastle brought back Matty Wethers and this is probably where we need to look and where I have been looking for names but I am sure Rob Grant will have his own little black book of names and Dave Tatum is another who will have numerous rider contacts so there could be a signing which is definitely left of field and unexpected!!! How about Kenneth Hansen?

9. Remember its fake news or a best guestimate to be fair on my account I don't have any inside information; I do not know who is or isn't coming "its a puppet" Brian Conley alive and dangerous, Nick Frisbee and Larry the Loafer. https://youtu.be/f64H3hDa93Y

10. I hope this has clarified the position and all I do is use a technique I learnt in the RMP where I provide 2 + 2 and if you come up with anything else other than 4 then you have bought into the premise that you think I know what I am talking about...

If you want to know who the club are chasing ring Rob Grant or George English who are the people best placed to tell you what is happening and no need to torture me because I don't have a clue...

Also have some trust in this new promoter as I get the distinct impression that Rob Grant has his finger on the pulse and will provide the best team he possibly can under the circumstances

One final thing to mention; look at the Polish sides who have pools of riders; anything between 10 or 12 riders and once the seasons starts there will be 3 to 5 riders sitting on Polish contracts but not getting rides, then we may see an early change in the team when perceived stronger riders potentially become available

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling, Spell Check and Eyesight
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly Guys

I would just like to get this out there.... as I have received several PM's Texts and even telephone calls over the weekend asking me what the team is and who is coming to Newcastle and what do I know with regards to incoming riders...

1. I am not connected to the club in any way shape or form other than I have invested in the club and their riders in excess of £30k in the last 10 years in the form of sponsorship either direct to the riders or direct to the club; and this does not include investing in the ridiculously over priced things like race bibs; kevlars; pictures; posters; helmets and an array of other "crepe" now hanging on my office walls picked up in club auctions and raffles; or sponsoring individual meetings; or chucking a grand into the air fence fund when that first started or the £100 max £50 paid max bonus I give to the riders when they achieve that milestone in a home match.

2. I have not spoken to Rob Grant or anyone else from the club other than Dalbers about when a group I had pulled together to invest in the club were ready to step in following suggestions that we may not run but when Rob Grant came to the fore we backed off.

3. The last Director I was involved with at Newcastle was Darryl Illingworth who left 4/5 year ago now and I gave Alan Hedley some support with phone numbers of riders some 4 year back now that proved successful for him signing a couple of riders and that was the last time I got any information on who the club were chasing. When Darryl left I gave more support to Workington and for 4 or 5 seasons I invested between 8 to 12 grand a year for these years between both clubs

4. All I am doing is responding to that clown Dandelion in the first instance and anyone else who puts forward ridiculous names and choices of possible team selections (with some added humour hopefully); however its a mickey take; fake news; and I would suggest to all the secret squirrels out there don't take things so seriously FFS it will be what it will be at the end of the day and all I would say is give Rob Grant a chance.

5. What I do know (and all I know) for sure is what we were given at the Gosforth Club Meeting by George English and Rob Grant themselves; which was Clegg and Wethers have signed on; Clegg will probably be in the main body of the team; "we won't believe who one of the signings will be" and we will be asking "how did they manage to get him" as stated by George English. We were told we will have strong reserves and that there were 6 offers out to riders (2 accepted) and one still to finalise and finally that there would be 2 or 3 riders names released this week with the other 2 or 3 released at the Christmas party. That's it... nothing that isn't already known or out in the public domain.

6. What I will add is George English has always operated a "Secret Service" approach when signing his riders and tried to lock down the process but riders (and mechanics; especially mechanics) talk and word gets out and this late in the season when the pool of available riders is looking decidedly dry it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what the potential make up of the team will be.

7. What I will also add is I was very impressed at the Gosforth "talk in" and the vision Rob Grant has for the team; the club and and the sport going forward and I do genuinely wish him all the success in the world in his new venture promoting speedway.

8. For those who have asked where I get my selections and names from I would say the following; firstly what you must remember is Newcastle are a Sunday team which rules out a great deal of riders who have Polish ambitions; Newcastle currently do not have the relevant licences to bring in Aussies Kiwis or Americans who need work visas which takes these guys out of the equation; demographics and being in the cold North East Newcastle tend to offer "sweeteners" to attract riders however as most of the riders are now fixed up so this puts Newcastle decidedly on the back foot. Two year back Newcastle brought back Matty Wethers and this is probably where we need to look and where I have been looking for names but I am sure Rob Grant will have his own little black book of names and Dave Tatum is another who will have numerous rider contacts so there could be a signing which is definitely left of field and unexpected!!! How about Kenneth Hansen?

9. Remember its fake news or a best guestimate to be fair on my account I don't have any inside information; I do not know who is or isn't coming "its a puppet" Brian Conley alive and dangerous, Nick Frisbee and Larry the Loafer. https://youtu.be/f64H3hDa93Y

10. I hope this has clarified the position and all I do is use a technique I learnt in the RMP where I provide 2 + 2 and if you come up with anything else other than 4 then you have bought into the premise that you think I know what I am talking about...

If you want to know who the club are chasing ring Rob Grant or George English who are the people best placed to tell you what is happening and no need to torture me because I don't have a clue...

Also have some trust in this new promoter as I get the distinct impression that Rob Grant has his finger on the pulse and will provide the best team he possibly can under the circumstances

One final thing to mention; look at the Polish sides who have pools of riders; anything between 10 or 12 riders and once the seasons starts there will be 3 to 5 riders sitting on Polish contracts but not getting rides, then we may see an early change in the team when perceived stronger riders potentially become available

Regards
THJ

So... In a nutshell... What are ye saying...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly Guys

Regards
THJ

Tbf you can't blame people for pestering you regarding riders being signed, as to people who don't know you but just go off your messages in the past it would seem you are in the know. I think people have got the message now. Well summed up.

49 minutes ago, cheekycobra said:

So... In a nutshell... What are ye saying...

Nowt;)

11 minutes ago, Winditon said:

Tbf you can't blame people for pestering you regarding riders being signed, as to people who don't know you but just go off your messages in the past it would seem you are in the know. I think people have got the message now. Well summed up.

To be honest, I don't think people should be pestering the guy, it's like cold calling. Am sure if he has anything to share with you, he will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi THJ, reading your last post is clearly stating Newcastle's problems in getting riders to come to Brough Park, up to now

established tracks like Glasgow still need 1 rider, Poole 4 riders and Redcar 5  riders to complete their teams so I will

await with interest who we end up with.

Edited by scampispeedway

10 minutes ago, scampispeedway said:

Hi THJ, reading your last post is clearly stating Newcastle's problems in getting riders to come to Brough Park, up to now

established tracks like Glasgow still need 1 rider, Poole 4 riders and Redcar 5  riders to complete their teams so I will

Poole don't need 4 riders (although they may still need to sign one!) - they just haven't announced them all yet!!  Its always a staggered process upto and over Christmas.

Edited by Skidder1

9 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Nowt;)

To be honest, I don't think people should be pestering the guy, it's like cold calling. Am sure if he has anything to share with you, he will.

Definitely. Everyone should still give Rob Grant all of their support. Even if the team he puts out isn't as strong as people want. It won't be for lack of trying, maybe just a case of circumstances. I.e. declaring to run late and maybe missing out on riders we may well have otherwise targeted. Who knows it still could be really strong. Always the option to strengthen up as the season progresses. I'd like to think Rob won't put up with riders underperforming and will not leave it too late to make changes as other promotions in the past have been guilty of. At the end of the day it's all Granty's money and underperforming riders normally means the team is struggling and as we know in the past it usually affects the attendances.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Winditon said:

Definitely. Everyone should still give Rob Grant all of their support. Even if the team he puts out isn't as strong as people want. It won't be for lack of trying, maybe just a case of circumstances. I.e. declaring to run late and maybe missing out on riders we may well have otherwise targeted. Who knows it still could be really strong. Always the option to strengthen up as the season progresses. I'd like to think Rob won't put up with riders underperforming and will not leave it too late to make changes as other promotions in the past have been guilty of. At the end of the day it's all Granty's money and underperforming riders normally means the team is struggling and as we know in the past it usually affects the attendances.

Were always gonna struggle to attract a big no.1,,, we've done without for a couple of seasons now anyhow. There is still riders out there unsigned and maybe we'll get some of those. Hopefully it'll all be sorted by Christmas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scampispeedway said:

You surely don’t believe that Glasgow are looking for that one rider.:rolleyes:

55 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Poole don't need 4 riders (although they may still need to sign one!) - they just haven't announced them all yet!!  Its always a staggered process upto and over Christmas.

And indeed throughout the season, as they walk the plank, one by one.  :)

1 hour ago, scampispeedway said:

Redcar have their team sorted and it will be announced at the Xmas party on Saturday night and all the riders will be in attendance (apparently)