British Speedway Forum

On 12/6/2019 at 7:34 PM, Diamond geezer said:
On 12/6/2019 at 8:41 PM, StevePark said:

Yes, because he rode in the Conference League (the NL).

On 12/6/2019 at 9:54 PM, NeilWatson said:

There are exceptions to that, and Wethers appears to be an exception - no discount was applied for 2019 on his 2018 final average.

Does Matty Wethers qualify for a 2.5% reduction? 

Yes, Matty Wethers rode in the Conference League (the previous name for the National League).

However, his CL days were too early for him to be included in any consideration these days for a 2.5% National League discount.

He was certainly a CL rider in 2003 when he took part in the West Wales Open at Carmarthen the day after that year's British Grand Prix at Cardiff, where Jamie Robertson had to beat him twice in the final because of a fall further behind them in the original version (Mr Park was in attendance on the back straight that day, but, sadly, far too few other folk were there as well or, indeed, on most other occasions there and so a wonderfully crafted 3rd-level track hit the financial skids).

As far as I'm aware it's at least mid-2000's, possibly later,  for any chance of a National League discount so Matty might be the only remaining example of a rider who rode at that level too far back to qualify for such a discount. 

2 hours ago, cheekycobra said:

So... In a nutshell... What are ye saying...

Honestly

Just gis a break basically and to understand with what I do financially or I have done in the past does not give me any special access into who Newcastle are signing... I just make guesstimates on potential riders now like everyone else (hopefully realistic ones and sometimes totally Waz take ones)

1 hour ago, scampispeedway said:

Hi THJ, reading your last post is clearly stating Newcastle's problems in getting riders to come to Brough Park, up to now

established tracks like Glasgow still need 1 rider, Poole 4 riders and Redcar 5  riders to complete their teams so I will

await with interest who we end up with.

Newcastle are not in the same boat as those you have quoted as Glasgow are sorted and have been for some time; One promoter told me he had his team sorted by the end of September and as advised from Skidder1 Poole are just toying over their final rider (Emil Grondal anyone?) and I am led to believe that Redcar are just about there and they are looking at lower order options... in years gone by like most clubs I would suggest Newcastle would have 5 or 6 riders pre signed up but maybe not confirmed and would be looking for a 5/6 pointer and a reserve... then slowly releasing the names up to the Christmas party...

Oh hang on...

45 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

Redcar have their team sorted and it will be announced at the Xmas party on Saturday night and all the riders will be in attendance (apparently)

There you go so they have sorted their little wrinkle out and have a full 7... Good News that...

1 hour ago, Winditon said:

Definitely. Everyone should still give Rob Grant all of their support. Even if the team he puts out isn't as strong as people want. It won't be for lack of trying, maybe just a case of circumstances. I.e. declaring to run late and maybe missing out on riders we may well have otherwise targeted. Who knows it still could be really strong. Always the option to strengthen up as the season progresses. I'd like to think Rob won't put up with riders under-performing and will not leave it too late to make changes as other promotions in the past have been guilty of. At the end of the day it's all Granty's money and under-performing riders normally means the team is struggling and as we know in the past it usually affects the attendances.

Newcastle; for whatever reason; seem to have always been loyal to riders and given them more time than most other clubs would to pull their form around and clubs are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't its always a tricky decision as to when a rider gets cut I would suggest...

Because Newcastle weren't in the starting blocks when it come to signing riders they are way behind the game and that is why we may be struggling a bit I would suggest; but as I alluded to earlier we may start with an 8 point plus number 1 with Matty Wethers at 5 and the rest of the team all averaging around the 5/6 mark and if that's the way it pans out so be it; I'm certainly not worried if that is the situation... by the end of the second month there will be "changes a plenty" throughout the league plus as I said certain riders signed in Poland who won't be getting rides will potentially be looking for more earning opportunities. How many times have we seen mid season changes made that have transformed a clubs outlook...  

However it may be time to think outside the box and look away from the usuall names suggested Ondrej Smetana; Kenneth Hansen; Victor Pallovarra; Joel Andersson; Lewis Bridger; Theo Pijper; Lewis Rose; Sebastian Alden or Anders Melgren to name but a few...

If Newcastle look weak at the start of the season there will be plenty of opportunity to change and hopefully (hopefully) strengthen up... (oft said Team Averages may go down as well as up)

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
missed out key word
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, arthur cross said:

Yes, Matty Wethers rode in the Conference League (the previous name for the National League).

However, his CL days were too early for him to be included in any consideration these days for a 2.5% National League discount.

He was certainly a CL rider in 2003 when he took part in the West Wales Open at Carmarthen the day after that year's British Grand Prix at Cardiff, where Jamie Robertson had to beat him twice in the final because of a fall further behind them in the original version (Mr Park was in attendance on the back straight that day, but, sadly, far too few other folk were there as well or, indeed, on most other occasions there and so a wonderfully crafted 3rd-level track hit the financial skids).

As far as I'm aware it's at least mid-2000's, possibly later,  for any chance of a National League discount so Matty might be the only remaining example of a rider who rode at that level too far back to qualify for such a discount. 

How do you know that??? :P  :D

My memories of that day are Jamie R getting his envelope with his cash in it and promptly wiping the sweat off his forehead with it!! And Dave Fraser's very red head!!!

I hadn't realised (or just forgot!) about any cut-off date for the reduction.

Not surprised that any club struggles to sign riders at this time of year when a well known tactic of a certain very northern based club is to have around 10 riders ' signed ' before the AGM. Thus preventing said riders signing for other clubs before the full points limit is known and then said club drops the extras that no longer fit in the club's plans.

Good tactic if you have the guile to do it. Obviously Newcastle were never in a position to ' sign ' anybody till after the takeover so at a disadvantage straight away. THJ makes some valid points on rider availability on a Sunday so your looking at a very small field of riders to choose from.

Just hope Newcastle can sign at least one big hitter to turn the decline around but you will need big bucks to get one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

How do you know that??? :P  :D

My memories of that day are Jamie R getting his envelope with his cash in it and promptly wiping the sweat off his forehead with it!! And Dave Fraser's very red head!!!

I hadn't realised (or just forgot!) about any cut-off date for the reduction.

That reminds me of the 'Newport Nose' that those who stood on the backstraight got free of charge. :P

4 minutes ago, Winditon said:

Off topic. Scott Nicholls splitting up from Sophie

I fail to see the connection with newcastle

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Brough Diamond said:

3 riders to be announced on Look North tomorrow night. Last two at the Christmas bash. Sounds like the team is finally sorted. 

That seems different, announced on the telly, hopefully it will give it a big push.

On 12/7/2019 at 9:40 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

It's been a slow news day and a storm has rolled in....

Regards 

THJ 

Hmmm,,, we've already got Stormy Wethers, but what usually comes before thunder??? ;)

8 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Hmmm,,, we've already got Stormy Wethers, but what usually comes before thunder??? ;)

please god no :o

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Jesus will you stop it man lol...

A was in Cumbria... stuck in the house an it was lashing down with rain an blowing a hooli...

Regards

THJ 

• Haha 2

We have around 20 hours to Guess ( BOTHER THJ  :D:D ) only joking 3 riders who you going for ?

15 minutes ago, diamonds7 said:

please god no :o

4 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Jesus will you stop it man lol...

A was in Cumbria... stuck in the house an it was lashing down with rain an blowing a hooli...

Regards

THJ 

It does mention a storm brewing on the website thingy tho.