British Speedway Forum

43 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Whats with the Palovaara averages??

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Now I know I’m from down south, but normally when we get a discount the figure goes down, not up!  :)

Oops

Copy cut and paste on the spread sheet... my fault... didn't copy over the formulae... Doh... all sorted now and well spotted... was concentrating on Ken Bruce and "Pop Master" and got distracted...

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS  
    AVE   -2.50%
1 Claus Vissing  8.43   8.43
2 Max Clegg  5.05   4.93
3 Ondrej Smetana 5.00   5.00
4 Victor Palovaara 6.25   6.25
5 Matthew Wethers 6.92   6.92
6 James Wright 4.00   4.00
7 Connor Mountain 4.73   4.61

Total: 40.38   40.14

Reards
THJ

Rob Grant stretching it a bit on the BSPA site saying that all three of the new signings should increase their averages!

Claus Vissing definitely won’t, facing heats 1, 13 and 15 home and away. 

He’s 8.43 atm.

7.43 would be a success for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Am sticking me neck oot here and going with Victor Palovaara and Smetana...

Why... Pallovaara cos we owe him one from last season and Smetana as he will be a new asset for the club...

Inclined to agree regarding Vic, but he was woeful on his last appearance at Brough, (maybe he had had a whisper about being peddled after that match like).

Smetana looked decent enough on his skid round the track last season and, could be a surprise.

• Like 1

If Stormy has to ride at #5 I'm not sure he's likely to hit a 6.92 average unfortunately.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, TheScotsman said:

If Stormy has to ride at #5 I'm not sure he's likely to hit a 6.92 average unfortunately.

He doesn't. Rode at 4 for the vast majority of last season despite being no. 2 in the averages for  the latter half of the season. 

7 hours ago, TheScotsman said:

4 hours ago, leander said:

He doesn't. Rode at 4 for the vast majority of last season despite being no. 2 in the averages for  the latter half of the season. 

A think your correct there,,, am sure that riders falling in the '2 to 5' averages can ride anywhere in the '2 to 5' team position.

A mean,,, why not have your 2 strongest riders at 1 and 2 and so on?,,, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

A think your correct there,,, am sure that riders falling in the '2 to 5' averages can ride anywhere in the '2 to 5' team position.

A mean,,, why not have your 2 strongest riders at 1 and 2 and so on?,,, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Keep off the cheap lager. Ha ha ha 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Am sticking me neck oot here and going with Victor Palovaara and Smetana...

Why... Pallovaara cos we owe him one from last season and Smetana as he will be a new asset for the club...

Unless we can find a Brit on 7.29 or a foreigner on 7.11 to slot in at No 5... or after the James Wright signing maybe we are getting Ole Olsen; Anders Michanek or the ghost of Ivan Mauger back because we seem to be good at resurrecting careers...

So here is my final offering as I can not for the life of me think of anyone around that 7 point figure who we could get... Although I am open to offers... and not expecting the promotion pulling another "Rabbit out of the Hat"

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS  
    AVE   -2.50%
1 Claus Vissing  8.43   8.43
2 Max Clegg  5.05   4.93
3 Ondrej Smetana 5.00   5.00
4 Victor Palovaara 6.25   6.25
5 Matthew Wethers 6.92   6.92
6 James Wright 4.00   4.00
7 Connor Mountain 4.73   4.61

Total: 40.38   40.14

Pick the bones out of that lot...

One other thing to add is; I wonder how well James Wright will fair as Edinburgh took the risk to bring back Willie Lawson thinking he could get back up to the dizzy heights he achieved prior to hanging up his Kevlar's from the first time round and it hasn't really worked out for them so it will be a big ask to expect James to come back and take all before him I would suggest... (as much as I would like to see that happen) 

However looks like a bit of strength in depth and I like the look of it; all we need to do is win our home matches and with the top 6 going into the play offs... who knows... all I can say is in 2018 Workington were written off before a wheel was turned... its a funny old sport speedway... if the 1 and 5 can hold their averages and the rest stick half a point on theirs we have cracked it... Simples... lol...

Regards
THJ 

And that right there is your wooden spoon team.   Nobody to win races consistently enough. Did they not learn this last season ? And now we have only one heatleader by the looks of it 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Dinosaur said:

And that right there is your wooden spoon team.   Nobody to win races consistently enough. Did they not learn this last season ? And now we have only one heatleader by the looks of it 

Still better than no Team.IMO.Teams on paper are not guaranteed to win anything either as has been proved many times in the sport.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Still better than no Team.IMO.Teams on paper are not guaranteed to win anything either as has been proved many times in the sport.

Agreed, didn’t say I didn’t want them to run but with the press releases saying he’s gonna turn things around and bring the crowds back I’m sorry that team will bankrupt him 

We need to have  a heat leader in the 7 and above range at 5 as heats 13&15 are so important,hopefully the rider classed as “how did we get him” is still to come.

its really important for the new promotion to hit the ground running and start the season with a great crowd and maintain it through the season

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dinosaur said:

Funny that's exactly what they said about Workington in 2018...

You don't have to win that many heats do you? The secret is not running last places...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, Dinosaur said:

Agreed, didn’t say I didn’t want them to run but with the press releases saying he’s gonna turn things around and bring the crowds back I’m sorry that team will bankrupt him 

The team hasn't been announced yet, it's just a guess by THJ. Give Rob a chance either way, because their isn't many people willing to risk their money in speedway. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dinosaur said:

I think a little perspective needs to be applied here. Last seasons team (the second one if you like) looked decent on paper, but we were let down by riders inconsistency and not getting anywhere near to what they could/should have done.

This season, some teams had announced their 1-7 before we even knew we were running.  I believe we just need to get through this season, with riders who want to ride for us and see what happens.  We will start team building for 2021 at the same time as everyone else and I think then is the time to judge.

• Like 4

Well I might as well give it a go too as THJ is so kindly letting me :) Thanks...

Newcastle Diamonds Avg. Nat.
1 Claus Vissing 8.43 DEN
2 Max Clegg 4.92 GBR
3 Mark Riss 4.84 GER
4 Matthew Wethers 6.92 AUS
5 Rene Bach 7.19 DEN
6 James Wright 4.00 GBR
7 Connor Mountain 4.61 GBR
  Total 40.91  
  Left 0.09  

Mark Riss has not ridden in Britain since 2018 and would be a bargain, easily upping that average... Also my dream of Rene Bach coming back is still possible... But swap him for Ludvig/Pavlova (Although lots of points wasted then) I'd be happy with that team... The 1 & 5 look strong enough imo... Matty at 4 again, brilliant... Mark Riss would do well at 3 and Max is a brilliant number 2... And we've got very strong reserves this season for once!! Still not 100% convinced with Claus but I'm willing to support him all the way as long as he puts in that 110% effort, would be a good number 5, but not sure about him being a number 1 with that average :t: Look forward to next season, thanks Granty for saving us so we have speedway at all

The reserves: I think Connor is the strongest named reserve so far, and unless Poole or Redcar pull something great off, WILL be the best reserve in the league... Brilliant signing... James, never seen him before but good luck to him!! Hope he can really kick on and at least finish up on 4.00/4.50 come the end of the season... I just want to see some real effort from him... Dunno how well he liked Brough? Could be another Simon Lambert from last year :(

(Also wouldn't mind Ludvig Lindgren #5 and Joel Andersson #3 to be the final two riders, just fits with 0.03 to spare) :) The two Swedes, the return of the Turnip twins? :shock:

Edited by Dandelion
  • Haha 1