British Speedway Forum

If you look at the styles of both riders in some of their clips they can certainly ride big tracks. In most of their rides they are last, but only just and the opposition are usually world class and sometimes GP quality. The Czech rides the big tracks very tight which is a good sign, and George Stancl, who I believe will be in the pits with his fellow countryman, has said he can ride tight tracks very well. OIven where they are now, and who they regularly ride with, I don't see them being on 5 very long. Same goes for James W, who still rides grass tracks very well, and once he gets back to regular riding will not be at reserve for very long. That would be good news, but it would also use Rider of the Year Max to go down to reserve again and that will makes us about the strongest team in depth, with heats 13 ad 15 being our only weakness. It's great, and our history to bring on foreign riders bring them on for eventually to the world stage. As Fromafar has said above, we could've been stuck with riders getting on season after season, but it's more exciting that you know you are developing riders and  watch them grow as riders. We already have that success with the Gems team, so why not for the DIamonds as well again. Breeding 4 World Champions has been very satisfying in the past, so let's see what we can do with our two latest riders.

Great night tonight, the PTE was packed out with several new fans amongst us, along with a nearly sober team manager and owner who also supplied the buffet on offer. Things are looking good, and there is currently a great anticipation with the return of the DIamonds and everything  that is happening at the moment. I thing most people would just like the season to start now. How things change Eh.

• Like 9

Enjoy the racing and be grateful you have a team, wish we had. The guys come in, support the club. Should have quoted Bellers101. 

Edited by comet49
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Bellers101 said:

Some big home defeats early on I reckon. I thought Granty was going to transform the club.

I think that you and your fellow village idiot RedcarRacer, could be in for a few surprise this year, and we have 2 points up our sleeves just in case. :approve:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Very poor. 

2 new riders to the league and another who hasn't done shale consistently for 6 years.

No number 1. No 2nd heatleader.

Main thing is that Newcastle are still alive, though.

It's a team and that's better than nothing.

• Like 5

rubbishe team.  Simple as that! You get nowhere without proven heatleaders.  Tsunami saying it’s decent apart from heat 13/15 is laughable. He’s been around speedway long enough to know those are the ones that count. Has he forgotten the cup final 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave can ham it up as much as he likes but this is not a strong team, but at least it's a team.

Seem to recall many of our lot having digs at that lot down the road when they constantly finished bottom under grumpy old Havelock , well it seems we are going the same way. Using the excuse that ' at least we have a team ' doesn't bring new people in,  just more of the same from last year, poor team, poor crowd. Yes, it might improve if the two new lads turn out to be world beaters when they've had a few home meetings ( I hope!) but early doors we will struggle and away from home we will be even worse.

A weak team is better than no team.

• Like 1

How fickle some fans are,Dam if you do and dam if you do not.Also do not forget injuries play a part in most teams season.Well done the promotion and hopefully a good season and a mid table position would be a good start for future years.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Aceslider said:

Now that the full team has been revealed, personally I would just like to go on record and say a massive thank you to every single member of the new promotion team, and Rob the new owner, for getting this show on the road for 2020.

The future of Newcastle speedway was clearly in doubt just a matter of several weeks ago, and your combined efforts have made sure that Sunday evenings will continue at Brough well into the forseeable future we hope.

The team already has its detractors and some who would detract from the drama of last night's Christmas party, but I'm sure the genuine supporters will come along and support this team even if we have to hold our breath in heats 13 and 15. I think we could well surprise one or two!

Well said.

• Like 3

Well done Rob Grant in the 4/5 weeks or so you've had and the riders that were left/avaiable and wanted to ride for Newcastle Diamonds . Not the strongest on paper by any means but lets get behind them and support them, a bet next season we will be quicker of the mark with our 1 to 7 . GOOD LUCK THE DIAMONDS 

• Like 3

As someone says, the 'new' riders will give it 100% every race, unlike some of last seasons team.  Diamonds fans will appreciate that.  There is a massive potential in that team to improve averages, Ondrej. Nick, James and Max alone might put 1, 2 or 3 points on their starting averages, which is what Rob wants, average improving riders.  Some are saying it's a poor team (one can't even spell rubbish correctly), without even seeing some of the riders ride, which is laughable in my view.

I reckon we are going to surprise a few people next year, yes there a few 'if's' involved, but it only needs one or two of those 'if's' to fall in to place and that is not an impossibility.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Very weak Newcastle Diamonds team but as other have alluded to its better than no racing at all and Newcastles got a stronger team than my original speedway team, Norwich Stars!

Just hope the weak team doesn't reduce the crowd levels too much?

It reminds me of the path Berwick chose in 2001 when we decided to sign Adrian Rymel, Michal Makovsky and Josef Franc all on 9 point averages. We had to start off with a weakened team, but after a month and the averages kicked in, changes were made and look at the service we got out of those three. I don't imagine for one minute this will be the Newcastle team that will finish the season. It could be a case of short term pain for long term gain. Rob Grant looks like he has some ideas for promoting the club going forward, with the connections he says he has with his businesses, according to his interview in the Speedway Star. 

• Like 1