British Speedway Forum

On 12/20/2019 at 4:46 PM, Gating tart said:

If that is the case why would you spoil it when people have paid money for the Christmas party to find find out the last two rides ?? 

On 12/20/2019 at 4:59 PM, Gating tart said:

Yes I’ll be there and it’s not point 

On 12/20/2019 at 5:42 PM, Winditon said:

Totally agree with you. He likes people to know he's in the know. 

On 12/20/2019 at 5:47 PM, Shearer09 said:

More chance of winning the lottery than suddenly bumping into two riders that have just signed for Newcastle!! Ffs well done Merry Christmas 

It was a guess FFS who was to say I was right or wrong... Not allowed to make guesses anymore... Get a life...

Regards
THJ

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Hmmmmm ... you seem to have turned a bit weird!

Are you on the Diamonds’ naughty step?   :)

Me... Naughty step... Av never been off it... it was invented for tools like me...

But excuse me a only get an hour for me lunch and av got a lot to get through

10 pages since Friday

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn

On 12/20/2019 at 5:48 PM, Gating tart said:

He just goes around trying buy rides friendships 

Wow a can feel the burn... Ow Ow Ow... break out the Germolene E45 and Sudocrem... is that the best you have got... Oh and if I can put you straight 

I have never bought any rides? (Illiterate numpty) friendship as this is how it has worked in the past

Newcastle want to sign a rider (and Workington for that matter) Darryl Illingworth Allan Headly and Steve Whitehead all came to me and said we are trying to sign X; Y; or Z; and they will only sign if we can come up with extra sponsorship would you be prepared to help by stumping up XXX pounds to sweeten the deal and I have never refused and to be fair to the three mentioned they were always genuine and courteous and kept me in the loop and told me what they were trying to achieve...

Now the current Balloon who built this team used to hand my name and number to riders and say go to this bloke he will sponsor you "but don''t tell him who you got his number from" now that is taking the urine big style... However anyone sent to me for sponsorship who has ridden for one of the clubs I follow(ed) got something and even down to injured riders who got help whilst they were out. In fact when I won the money draw at Newcastle once I gave that to an injured rider.. by the way all of the riders grassed up the provider of the name and number... Every one...

Why do I do it... well here is the rub; its not to ingratiate myself with any rider and certainly not to benefit my business as I have never had one lead come from sponsoring any club or rider... its because I want Newcastle to do well and whether that is in Speedway Football Rugby Ice Hockey Basket Ball Table Tennis or Bar Billiards as a Geordie and son a of Newcastle I want my home town club(s) to do well in everything they do... If giving a rider a few hundred quid to get an engine tuned or buy a new crash helmet or support their travel in and out of the country and it makes them a happier and more contented rider which has the knock on effect that they ride that little bit better for my club then so be it...

Honestly you have no idea... just another one of Mr Speedways gay little incubuses

Regards
THJ

Spelling,
  • Like 6

On 12/20/2019 at 6:15 PM, Winditon said:

THJ is an absolute weapon

Well well well... in fact so well written it ranks up there with anything that Cyrano de Bergerac could have come up with!!! and well said "Big Nose" but are you as brave as the said Cyrano?

You know where I stand in the stadium... you know who I am... come and say that to my face!!!!

I dare you... ;)

Regards
THJ

• Haha 1

On 12/20/2019 at 7:13 PM, Dandelion said:

Of course... This actually happened and it wasn't just a story he made to make anagrams for us to guess...

On 12/20/2019 at 7:26 PM, Shearer09 said:

I think there is more chance of me going to Dubai and bumping into two sheikhs telling me they’ve bought Newcastle United the bloke is full of dynamite haha. 

Honestly

Was it Forest Gump's mother who used to say "stupid is as stupid does" 

Maybe on here it is "Stupid writes what they have swallowed somewhere else"

It can't just be me who thinks some of these contributors are as "thick as mince"

I used to enjoy the wind ups and craic trying to inject some humour but I am just not getting it anymore...

Regards
THJ

On 12/20/2019 at 9:06 PM, Bellers101 said:

Wooden spoon?

On 12/20/2019 at 11:24 PM, szkocjasid said:

Look the weakest team I reckon!

On 12/20/2019 at 11:28 PM, pienpeesman said:

Just like Workington in 2018 ?

On 12/20/2019 at 11:42 PM, jenga said:

except workington had a total  weapon (mason) in the reserve berth most of the season and rene moved to reserve , then swopped around again . plus klyle  came on strong in the later play offs .   

On 12/21/2019 at 2:54 AM, Dinosaur said:

rubbishe team.  Simple as that! You get nowhere without proven heatleaders.  Tsunami saying it’s decent apart from heat 13/15 is laughable. He’s been around speedway long enough to know those are the ones that count. Has he forgotten the cup final 

On 12/21/2019 at 10:10 AM, StevePark said:

As someone says, the 'new' riders will give it 100% every race, unlike some of last seasons team.  Diamonds fans will appreciate that.  There is a massive potential in that team to improve averages, Ondrej. Nick, James and Max alone might put 1, 2 or 3 points on their starting averages, which is what Rob wants, average improving riders.  Some are saying it's a poor team (one can't even spell rubbish correctly), without even seeing some of the riders ride, which is laughable in my view.

I reckon we are going to surprise a few people next year, yes there a few 'if's' involved, but it only needs one or two of those 'if's' to fall in to place and that is not an impossibility.

Honestly

Can we put this myth that this is a bad team (even before the season starts) well and truly to bed

I will relay a true story and take from it what you will... This team started the 2018 season as nominated "wooden spoonists" and "worst team in the league" "favourites" expected "to be bottom" by many...

Season starting averages are in the first column and finishing averages in the second

Start    End
1 Rene Bach 7.53   7.19
2 Nicolai Klindt 7.51   6.94
3 Ty Proctor 7.15   6.96
4 Rasmus Jensen 6.14   6.59
5 Dan Bewley 5.80   6.79
6 Mason Campton 5.73   6.32
7 Kyle Bickley 2.00   2.00

Total: 41.86   42.79

How many started the season on 8 plus averages... None (spelled out just for the idiots)
How many finished the season with 8 plus averages... None
How many averages went down... Three
How many averages stayed the same... One
How many went up... Three
How many went up over a full point... One (and he was injured most of the season) 
How many ended up in the reserve berth... 5 out of 7 (only Ty and Dan didn't have at least one month in the reserve spot)
One injury when Mason was out for about 6 weeks and BWD filled in...
How many heat leaders did they start with...

Steve Park has hit the nail right on the head (and Tsunami in a later post) this team can do it given a chance; who knows they may end up Rubbish(e) (added the "e" for the illiterate numbskull) and they may end up bottom; however it doesn't take much to be a top team, you do not need the massive swings in averages people seem to be expecting to win something and again as he rightly states there are a few ifs and buts; and one of the big ones for me are injuries; this can rip the heart out of a team but there is always the chance to strengthen up; I would love to see the new guys stick half a point to a full point on their starting averages and we will shock a few people... if they don't it wont be for the lack of effort on their behalf that's for sure

Another team that seems to be getting a bashing on here is Berwick but all they need is for Danny Gappmaier to start scoring a similar amount of points away from home as he does at Shielfield Park and they will be surprising a few as well. Believe me it doesn't take much to take what looks like a mediocre team and make them into History makers... Worky did it with a "Crepe" team on paper...

Give these guys a chance ffs they will be trying Honest

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 12:26 PM, Winditon said:

THJ will let you know as he knows everything. I heard that the promotion weren't happy last night that someone had let the cat out of the bag.

Funny I heard the same... so I do know that... as some people don't seem to like the drunken bloke who was making the comments and were rather keen to report back,  like one or two others he's happy to be Mr Big Shot and to to talk "Crepe" to the crowd but when it comes to a "face to face" always blushes; pulls a face like someone has biffed; (you know of them sprout ones) then walks away and doesn't speak.. however I think there will be more to this one and it might run...

Regards
THJ

On 12/21/2019 at 1:01 PM, enotian said:

Have to chuckle when people defend the seven and then in the same breath say that we've got two points to play with to make changes!

There's no point in trying to deny that a team that's two points under the limit, doesn't have a #1 and will struggle in heat 13 and 15 is going to struggle. But at least it's an interesting team with same potential to improve. Who knows if James Wright can recapture his former form? Or if Connor Mountain will have a break through season? Or if Nik Skorja is a top talent (World U-21's in 2019 (scoring 7,2,2) which only Lambert from the Brits qualified for). Or if THJ has self esteem issues?  Who knows?

What it does show is that the new owner is prepared to take a gamble. Let's hope it pays off. 

Just think 2018 and Workington as to what can be done... 

Whether you think Claus is a Number 1 or not hes got the job so lets see what he can do with it.. we have struggled in 13 and 15 the last few seasons so the bar hasn't been set very high for him to be fair; but he's aggressive on the track and goes for it and the Brough faithful will appreciate that...

Clegg has taken 9 or so years to break through and never mind Connor its amazing how many riders come to Newcastle and either pick up; kick on; or kick of;f their carers...

I have no doubt that Skorja will give it 100% and if he wants to succeed what better place to do it and prove the detractors wrong.

THJ certainly has no self esteem issues, fought for Queen and Country; had a reasonably successful career; raised three normal and well adjusted kids; like my fellow man; enjoy wine; woman and song;; not necessarily in that order and respect myself; if not my body and I am quite happy being a fat lad with typical male pattern baldness and failing eyesight...

Your last comment sums it up; big gamble and yep lets hope it pays off; for me the cup is definitely half full at the moment.

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 1:41 PM, szkocjasid said:

While Workington weren't favourites in 2018, they weren't predicted for bottom!

Yes they were by many and I still have the Speedway star with the prediction in and they were in everyone's bottom 3...

On 12/21/2019 at 1:52 PM, spin king said:

On paper you have to say the the Diamonds are looking like they are in for a hammering this season.

But you have to remember they were late with team building and gave every other team a head start in team building.

At Sheffield we went through a similar problem with the new promotion and we pieced together a team from what riders were left.

Hopefully fans will be understand and stick with the team this year and judge the Promotion on their team building next season where they will start on an even playing field.

The year Sheffield had a thrown together team was when Rob Godfrey got involved and that team done quite well  if I remember correctly... or not as badly as everyone predicted...

On 12/21/2019 at 2:01 PM, IronScorpion said:

THJ was not the one to "let the cat out of the bag". Yes, he gave us a story with anagrams incorporated of the riders, but it was another poster that solved the puzzle. :nono: ;)

Thank you... 

On 12/21/2019 at 2:20 PM, ruffdiamond said:

It was also another poster that came up with the spoof names.

You will get wrong mind and stuck on the naughty step... and with me already on there.... Honestly there ain't much room alongside my fat "A"...

On 12/21/2019 at 4:12 PM, leander said:

Doesn't have a number 1!!!!!! Didn't know Claus Vissing had left already. WE HAVE A NUMBER 1. His name is Claus Vissing. He is the 7th highest average NUMBER 1 in the League to start this season, and is on a par (within a few hundreds (average wise ) of the three immediately above him. He rode at number 5 for Glasgow for the first half of last season so has done plenty of heat 13 and 15. 

It is a slight concern being 2.12 short on the points limit, as this means the team has to improve by two points overall just to stand still. I'd personally have prefered an established 6.5 to 7 point rider plus either one of the two eastern europeans. However it is what it is and I, for one, just grateful we are still running. Time will tell whether the two new boys are over or under estimated on a 5.00. The slight concern being that most eastern europeans are big track riders and there ain't that many big tracks left in our league. It should be remembered that last year Smetana rode Lindgrens 2018 bikes when he was in this country. Hopefully he will have his own better bikes this year.

As long as they put the effort in the fans will back them.

Well Said

Regards
THJ

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2019 at 4:27 PM, DC2 said:

This year’s newcomers were a mixed bag:

Agertoft and Thomsen at Birmingham failed to achieve 3 point averages;

MacDonald and Kennedy at Sheffield just fell short of 4;

Kacper Andersen in his first full season managed 4.86 and Grobauer 5.38.

In fact, looking at 2018 and 2019, Grobauer is the only new rider to beat his assessed starting average.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:30 PM, screm said:

Surprised that Newcastle have brought two new riders in to complete their team but both, especially Skorja, are at an age where their best days should still be infront of them.

On 12/22/2019 at 9:25 AM, DC2 said:

Out of interest, who was the last assessed rider to make a 7 point average in his first season?

That’s what one of them needs to do!

Why do either of these riders need to make a 7 point average; the last rider Newcastle had who came in on a 7 and not counting 2008 was Kenni Larsen and he finished 2009 on an 8.10 average and Rene Bach in the same year came in on a 7 and ended up with 7.02... We have also had the likes of Neddermark and Rosen who ended up with averages of high 6's...

If the two new boys who will have 5 averages end up on mid 6 averages I for one will be over the moon; they will have done their job and some... Screm is spot on as they are both at ages where they should only improve...

If they can do a Max Fricke great and if they can do a Brady Kurtz Woo Whooo; But I am hoping they can do an Smetama and Skorja and surprise everyone making a name for themselves...

Regards
THJ

45 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Can we put this myth that this is a bad team (even before the season starts) well and truly to bed

I will relay a true story and take from it what you will... This team started the 2018 season as nominated "wooden spoonists" and "worst team in the league" "favourites" expected "to be bottom" by many...

Season starting averages are in the first column and finishing averages in the second

Start    End
1 Rene Bach 7.53   7.19
2 Nicolai Klindt 7.51   6.94
3 Ty Proctor 7.15   6.96
4 Rasmus Jensen 6.14   6.59
5 Dan Bewley 5.80   6.79
6 Mason Campton 5.73   6.32
7 Kyle Bickley 2.00   2.00

Total: 41.86   42.79

How many started the season on 8 plus averages... None (spelled out just for the idiots)
How many finished the season with 8 plus averages... None
How many averages went down... Three
How many averages stayed the same... One
How many went up... Three
How many went up over a full point... One (and he was injured most of the season) 
How many ended up in the reserve berth... 5 out of 7 (only Ty and Dan didn't have at least one month in the reserve spot)
One injury when Mason was out for about 6 weeks and BWD filled in...
How many heat leaders did they start with...

Steve Park has hit the nail right on the head (and Tsunami in a later post) this team can do it given a chance; who knows they may end up Rubbish(e) (added the "e" for the illiterate numbskull) and they may end up bottom; however it doesn't take much to be a top team, you do not need the massive swings in averages people seem to be expecting to win something and again as he rightly states there are a few ifs and buts; and one of the big ones for me are injuries; this can rip the heart out of a team but there is always the chance to strengthen up; I would love to see the new guys stick half a point to a full point on their starting averages and we will shock a few people... if they don't it wont be for the lack of effort on their behalf that's for sure

Another team that seems to be getting a bashing on here is Berwick but all they need is for Danny Gappmaier to start scoring a similar amount of points away from home as he does at Shielfield Park and they will be surprising a few as well. Believe me it doesn't take much to take what looks like a mediocre team and make them into History makers... Worky did it with a "Crepe" team on paper...

Give these guys a chance ffs they will be trying Honest

Regards
THJ

You are trying to compare that team to this current bunch of misfits.  Laughable. I thought you knew the sport 

28 minutes ago, Dinosaur said:

You are trying to compare that team to this current bunch of misfits.  Laughable. I thought you knew the sport 

That’s exactly what I thought (although I wouldn’t call them misfits).

Workington had a core of five experienced CL riders.

Newcastle have just two, plus two youngish Brits, two new continentals with no CL experience at all and Wright returning to the sport after several years out.

A better comparison might be Glasgow, who have three experienced, but rather dull, riders who could go either way, number one who might drop his average, and three youngsters on their way up.

Or, better still, Birmingham who have bags of experience and bags of injury, reliability and form question marks, but a chance that they could click.

Edited by DC2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dinosaur said:

That team started as a bunch of misfit that were pulled together last minute... Worky didn't have a No 1 until February with less than 6 weeks to the start of the season and Jacko worked wonders on the team spirit along with others that made them a team; at one point within the first 6 to 8 weeks there were all sorts of issues that had to be ironed out; that team pulled things round with the right attitude and went from strength to strength as the season went on and I was honoured and had the privilege to be part of it. 

It might never be repeated and not done again but if I can give you a football analogy... who gave Leicester City any chance of winning the premiership... it can be done... never say never and if they do I will remind you of this post come the end of the season.

Best of it is "that team" as you put it didn't start with or have a recognised No 1 didn't have a rider with an 8 point plus average anywhere in the team and sat with a young lad who pulled his pods off in the No 7 position the whole year and had no pressure put on him whatsoever and every rider had an alleged issue; attitude problems; not good enough; couldn't do it anywhere else;

Not only can you not spell Rubbish I am not sure your reading skills are up to scratch; the facts are there in front of you; a perceived "Crepe" team  No heat leaders let alone a number 1 a bunch of second strings that no one else wanted (that season) who wernt expected to get any higher than the bottom 3 and the took the lot; the took the league by storm... it can happen...

The bottom line is even if they are Rubbish(e) and end up in the bottom three would you still go or are you one of these fair weather fans who only goes to watch a winning team. I have some good friends at Workington who went for years religiously to watch teams built to a standard (or expected) format and had no success; then that lot came along proved they were a team and their patience was rewarded... 

Hey you have your opinion and I respect that but ultimately the choice is yours if you don't like it don't go... then you wont be disappointed... but ffs at least give them a chance; the season hasn't even started yet...

Regards
THJ

30 minutes ago, Dinosaur said:

3 minutes ago, DC2 said:

That’s exactly what I thought (although I wouldn’t call them misfits).

Workington had a core of five experienced CL riders.

Newcastle have just two, plus two youngish Brits, two new continentals with no CL experience at all and Wright returning to the sport after several years out.

A better comparison might be Glasgow, who have three experienced, but rather dull, riders who could go either way, number one who might drop his average, and three youngsters on their way up.

Think you are both missing the point but you can have a good laugh between yourselves

Laughable...

Regards
THJ