British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Dandelion said:

I would think the Gems/NJL team having their own website would be a good thing for them... So they can amass a following of their own separate from the main team... Gives them more backing and stuff...

Just a decent website would be a start, especially for mobile users, as is the case with the majority of other websites.

Looking forward to the Gems matches. Some really talented youngsters to see before they (hopefully) become massive stars. I think it's probably the future sustainable level for the Diamonds tbh. Interesting move by the new promotion.

However, hopefully the double headers won't be marathons. The danger being that those not inclined to hang about for a half hour of track grading between matches or for 4 hours plus to see 30 mins of action will have had to pay £3 more for nothing extra.  Regardless of any centre green displays or ability to buy fresh meat produce, it could end up being a massive turn off for some.

Intend to get both matches done in a maximum 2 and a half hours please.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, StevePark said:

Perhaps the above may (or may not) give you an answer.

Might be useful if they post that on the website that they are designing a new one. I'm sure they could maintain an old and build a new one at the same time. It's not difficult. 

3 hours ago, diamond@heart said:

Might be useful if they post that on the website that they are designing a new one. I'm sure they could maintain an old and build a new one at the same time. It's not difficult. 

Maybe it is. It was said on more than one occasion last season that certain elements of the website couldn't be updated due to technical problems. 

Let's face it it's long overdue for a major overhaul. For example, the "blog" is 18 month old, riders BSPA averages are last season's starting averages. And the "badge links" to other teams in the league are years out of date.  Plymouth are still there (as is Workington) and they dropped down years ago .

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Remember what someone said about what Mark Twain said? ;)

One of my favourites is "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." Otherwise known as the BSPA'a Rule No.1

or, "There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded." (forumites please note)

But I suspect you were alluding to, "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt". [No offence Dandelion ;)]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, bringbackHalifax said:

Will get more paying punters through the gate = more cash for Robbo.

Deserves every penny he gets even tho he's from the dark side of the river

20 hours ago, enotian said:

Looking forward to the Gems matches. Some really talented youngsters to see before they (hopefully) become massive stars. I think it's probably the future sustainable level for the Diamonds tbh. Interesting move by the new promotion.

However, hopefully the double headers won't be marathons. The danger being that those not inclined to hang about for a half hour of track grading between matches or for 4 hours plus to see 30 mins of action will have had to pay £3 more for nothing extra.  Regardless of any centre green displays or ability to buy fresh meat produce, it could end up being a massive turn off for some.

Intend to get both matches done in a maximum 2 and a half hours please.

National League matches tend to be completed more quickly than those in Higher leagues: the riders do as they are told!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, False dawn said:

One of my favourites is "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." Otherwise known as the BSPA'a Rule No.1

or, "There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded." (forumites please note)

But I suspect you were alluding to, "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt". [No offence Dandelion ;)]

Hey I'm doing yous all a favour... Acting really dumb and obnoxious to make yous all, in perspective, seem like reasonable people... Except you Totally Honest ;) Now that's just an impossible task for me to undertake... We need to make speedway fans out to be less grouchy than they actually are... Maybe it will attract more people to the sport...

maybe a tenner a shot would attract more ?  :cheers:

35 minutes ago, jenga said:

maybe a tenner a shot would attract more ?  :cheers:

As I've said a few times before, John Anderson tried it at Berwick and it didn't make any difference to the numbers through the gate.

People will go to the speedway if they're interested in it... The money will make very little difference... People aren't going to suddenly go because it's a few quid cheaper... They're going to go if it interests them... It's only the people who go every week who moan about the prices...

There should be some draw though... People pay a £10 to be put in the draw and one ticket is pulled out and they get a full season of free entry if they win... Little things like that will get people who might not even bother coming once to put a little more into the club... And if they win they might be more inclined to come, if they get free entry

5 hours ago, Dandelion said:

People will go to the speedway if they're interested in it... The money will make very little difference... People aren't going to suddenly go because it's a few quid cheaper... They're going to go if it interests them... It's only the people who go every week who moan about the prices...

There should be some draw though... People pay a £10 to be put in the draw and one ticket is pulled out and they get a full season of free entry if they win... Little things like that will get people who might not even bother coming once to put a little more into the club... And if they win they might be more inclined to come, if they get free entry

Or the moaners are very welcome to join the band of track volunteers ( short of ) which also allows them to save a bob or 2 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dandelion said:

The die-hards will always be there, in that respect you are correct, but there are a few who either refuse to pay the admission fee because they don't see it as value for money and don't come anymore, or, they simply can't afford it.

Not  much use towards the end of the season. And anyway why give people free entry when you've already cut the admission.  They have a business to run after all, as you say reducing the admission isn't going to increase numbers through the gates.

It probably won't.

Of course they will come if they get free entry, that's a given.

Rob is already going to put 'extras' on for home meetings, to try and give extra value for money, for which he should be applauded Let's hope it brings in a few more punters, especially families, as youngsters are the future of the sport (as Roy Clarke would say!!) and its potential survival.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Hey I'm doing yous all a favour... Acting really dumb and obnoxious to make yous all, in perspective, seem like reasonable people... Except you Totally Honest ;) Now that's just an impossible task for me to undertake... We need to make speedway fans out to be less grouchy than they actually are... Maybe it will attract more people to the sport...

Honestly

Acting dumb.... acting!!!

You're a bloody good actor.... honestly it's "dum dums" like your good self that get sensible women a bad name...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1