British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, jenga said:

for the real answer to the word  , jam eaters . .........   search you tube     ------    keeping up with the cumbrians , will the real jam eaters please stand up ?

My house in Maryport was built on the old Jam factory site apparently... the locals tell me the Jam Eaters are everyone South of Flimby down the coast to Egremont... if you want me to introduce you to them to argue the toss I will quite happily arrange a meeting...

Regards 

THJ 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

My house in Maryport was built on the old Jam factory site apparently... the locals tell me the Jam Eaters are everyone South of Flimby down the coast to Egremont... if you want me to introduce you to them to argue the toss I will quite happily arrange a meeting...

Regards 

THJ 

my house was built on the old treacle mines @ pica , sweet . 

you need to see the you tube  vid . worky folk say the whithaven folk are the jam eaters and vice versa . nice bit of filming and production/editing frae my eldest ..

19 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ 

6 minutes ago, jenga said:

my house was built on the old treacle mines @ pica , sweet . 

you need to see the you tube  vid . worky folk say the whithaven folk are the jam eaters and vice versa . nice bit of filming and production/editing frae my eldest ..

Sounds like you's are in a bit of a  sticky situation. 

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Sounds like you's are in a bit of a  sticky situation. 

story of my life so far .

oxford looking good , toon need to get back into the game .

36 minutes ago, jenga said:

story of my life so far .

oxford looking good , toon need to get back into the game .

scraped thru in the end.

• Like 2

Omg Jenga and THJ have woken up from the winter slumber and still having a go at each other !!! Move on please ;)

29 minutes ago, Neila said:

Omg Jenga and THJ have woken up from the winter slumber and still having a go at each other !!! Move on please ;)

Nowt rang with a bit banter Neila

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neila said:

i am trying , so everyone tells me .

7 hours ago, Neila said:

Tha probly best pals really, a bit like the odd couple, they should get their own show;)

4 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Tha probly best pals really, a bit like the odd couple, they should get their own show;)

Honestly

Big no (NOOOOOoooooo) to that one Ruff...

However what none of them Cumbrian's will admit to is being a Jam Eater (due to it being an insult) (av been called worse) but the guys who I drink with in Maryport where the original jam factory was (and that is true) use it as a derisory comment to refer to their near West Cumbrian neighbours. In 1901, Burnfoot Preserves Works (the jam factory) established themselves in Maryport. However, by 1934 the jam factory had closed (Aw!) 

Now one story I was told was that due to the decline of the Coal Mines in the Workington area miners from Risehow and Solway PIts were transferred through to the Whitehaven mines Haig, William and Lowca pits. 

All those transferred to the Whitehaven mines were made welcome as colleagues and a lot of long and lasting friendships were forged between the workers (allegedly; but they really hated each other). However on settling into their workplace the new arrivals were soon inducted into the practices and traditions that existed in the Whitehaven mines. Allegedly one of those traditions that prevailed was "Blind Swap" which took place every Wednesday, where most of the miners that were working in groups exchanged snap tins (lunch boxes).

On opening the lunch boxes belonging to the Workington miners a number of the boxes contained "JAM SANDWICHES" with the Whitehaven miners retorting bloody jam, and calling their Workington colleagues "JAM EATERS" there was no nastiness they all thought it very funny and laughed and joked about it and the name still sticks to this day.

However I have heard another story that goes due to the dust and heat in the Workington pits due to poor ventilation jam was the only thing you could put in your bait without it going off down in the mines

The term "jam eater" is often used by the people of neighbouring Workington to refer to the people of Whitehaven, or more generally to people from West Cumbria. The common view is that the term is insulting because it implies people could not afford to buy meat for their sandwiches, so they had to eat jam instead.

Also due the long-term rivalry between Whitehaven and nearby Workington: Legend has it that one town's miners had jam on their sandwiches and the other did not, but no one agrees on which town it was or whether they did it because they were snobs or peasants.

All I know is us Maryport lads (yes av been adopted), who live a few miles further up the Cumbria coast (which, is occasionally mentioned in discussions on the topic; as we used to have the jam factory) take the moral high ground as we made the stuff and exported it to the poor folk of Whitehaven and Workington.

However I have been led to believe that the term originally referred to people from Whitehaven, and and it has been suggested that it was always used as a distinction between the Whitehaven "jam eaters" and Workington "high siders" which has gradually been lost in the trading of insults across the rugby pitch

However there's many a theory on it.....which ones correct? which one is true? who knows? who cares? everyone says its the other lot who are the jam eaters but its the elephant in the room because no one knows...  

https://www.whitehavennews.co.uk/news/17154970.who-are-the-jam-eaters/

Now sit back and let the Cumbrian Jam Eaters defend their position... but the one thing I do know for sure is us Maryport lads are definitely not Jam Eaters...

Now back to the speedway...

Whats the chances of Nicki Pedersen turning up for the 90th Anniversary meeting; Bjarne is signed up but I would love to see Nicki back as he was (and still is) a class act and who knows he may want some track time in before the UK Premiership season kicks off in earnest?  One can only hope....

Regards
THJ

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Big no (NOOOOOoooooo) to that one Ruff...

However what none of them Cumbrian's will admit to is being a Jam Eater (due to it being an insult) (av been called worse) but the guys who I drink with in Maryport where the original jam factory was (and that is true) use it as a derisory comment to refer to their near West Cumbrian neighbours. In 1901, Burnfoot Preserves Works (the jam factory) established themselves in Maryport. However, by 1934 the jam factory had closed (Aw!) 

Now one story I was told was that due to the decline of the Coal Mines in the Workington area miners from Risehow and Solway PIts were transferred through to the Whitehaven mines Haig, William and Lowca pits. 

All those transferred to the Whitehaven mines were made welcome as colleagues and a lot of long and lasting friendships were forged between the workers (allegedly; but they really hated each other). However on settling into their workplace the new arrivals were soon inducted into the practices and traditions that existed in the Whitehaven mines. Allegedly one of those traditions that prevailed was "Blind Swap" which took place every Wednesday, where most of the miners that were working in groups exchanged snap tins (lunch boxes).

On opening the lunch boxes belonging to the Workington miners a number of the boxes contained "JAM SANDWICHES" with the Whitehaven miners retorting bloody jam, and calling their Workington colleagues "JAM EATERS" there was no nastiness they all thought it very funny and laughed and joked about it and the name still sticks to this day.

However I have heard another story that goes due to the dust and heat in the Workington pits due to poor ventilation jam was the only thing you could put in your bait without it going off down in the mines

The term "jam eater" is often used by the people of neighbouring Workington to refer to the people of Whitehaven, or more generally to people from West Cumbria. The common view is that the term is insulting because it implies people could not afford to buy meat for their sandwiches, so they had to eat jam instead.

Also due the long-term rivalry between Whitehaven and nearby Workington: Legend has it that one town's miners had jam on their sandwiches and the other did not, but no one agrees on which town it was or whether they did it because they were snobs or peasants.

All I know is us Maryport lads (yes av been adopted), who live a few miles further up the Cumbria coast (which, is occasionally mentioned in discussions on the topic; as we used to have the jam factory) take the moral high ground as we made the stuff and exported it to the poor folk of Whitehaven and Workington.

However I have been led to believe that the term originally referred to people from Whitehaven, and and it has been suggested that it was always used as a distinction between the Whitehaven "jam eaters" and Workington "high siders" which has gradually been lost in the trading of insults across the rugby pitch

However there's many a theory on it.....which ones correct? which one is true? who knows? who cares? everyone says its the other lot who are the jam eaters but its the elephant in the room because no one knows...  

https://www.whitehavennews.co.uk/news/17154970.who-are-the-jam-eaters/

Now sit back and let the Cumbrian Jam Eaters defend their position... but the one thing I do know for sure is us Maryport lads are definitely not Jam Eaters...

Now back to the speedway...

Whats the chances of Nicki Pedersen turning up for the 90th Anniversary meeting; Bjarne is signed up but I would love to see Nicki back as he was (and still is) a class act and who knows he may want some track time in before the UK Premiership season kicks off in earnest?  One can only hope....

Regards
THJ

Mmm it seems that Maryport people didn’t eat their own jam......

Edited by comet49
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, comet49 said:

Mmm it seems that Maryport people didn’t eat there own jam......

Honestly

Maryport... Milk and Honey... deffo no Jam Eaters!!!

Oh and copious amounts of alcohol of course... 

Regards
THJ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, comet49 said:

Mmm it seems that Maryport people didn’t eat there own jam......

Maybe that's because they know about its production process ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ 

Presume it must be in a 'conserve'ation area..? :D

Buddum Tish....

I will get my coat.. ..

• Thanks 1

Makes me want to drop everything and head for Maryport. Seems it all happens there.

Now where do I get the protective clothing?

• Haha 1