British Speedway Forum

6 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Makes me want to drop everything and head for Maryport. Seems it all happens there.

Now where do I get the protective clothing?

From the Sellafield Factory Outlet Shop :t:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Makes me want to drop everything and head for Maryport. Seems it all happens there.

Now where do I get the protective clothing?

2 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

From the Sellafield Factory Outlet Shop :t:

No you would be ok it's not close enough to Sellafield to worry about (especially if you keep out of the sea) (ahem)

No the biggest shock in Maryport at the moment is the opening of a new cocktail bar called Antonio's.... the jury is definitely still out amongst the hairy assed hillbilly's who live there...  those who know the place know exactly where I'm coming from...

How very dare they open such a "gay spot" in the roughest toughest lall town West of the Pecos... 

But to be honest it's a great place,  little pricey but the grub is fantastic and the cocktail's are different but I don't think I'm doing it right... having a pint then a cocktail chaser...  but hey ho it works...

However because it's a bit dearer and definitely more upmarket that the usual pubs there it does deter the nutters who tend to frequent the local drinking establishments... it's one of my favourite watering holes in Maryport now...

I have definitely taken to the spot it's like North Shields without the knives... a think the saying is #real.people...

Regards 

THJ 

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

No you would be ok it's not close enough to Sellafield to worry about (especially if you keep out of the sea) (ahem)

No the biggest shock in Maryport at the moment is the opening of a new cocktail bar called Antonio's.... the jury is definitely still out amongst the hairy assed hillbilly's who live there...  those who know the place know exactly where I'm coming from...

How very dare they open such a "gay spot" in the roughest toughest lall town West of the Pecos... 

But to be honest it's a great place,  little pricey but the grub is fantastic and the cocktail's are different but I don't think I'm doing it right... having a pint then a cocktail chaser...  but hey ho it works...

However because it's a bit dearer and definitely more upmarket that the usual pubs there it does deter the nutters who tend to frequent the local drinking establishments... it's one of my favourite watering holes in Maryport now...

I have definitely taken to the spot it's like North Shields without the knives... a think the saying is #real.people...

Regards 

THJ 

I lived in Maryport with work many moons ago. I lodged in the Golden Lion, which was down the hill just where the start of the marina, which was just starting to be built. That was a classy joint. We used to go to Cockermouth for our nights.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I lived in Maryport with work many moons ago. I lodged in the Golden Lion, which was down the hill just where the start of the marina, which was just starting to be built. That was a classy joint. We used to go to Cockermouth for our nights.

Antonio's is part of the Golden Lion now they knocked into the White Star (Bubbles) next door and my spot is about 300 yards from there towards the dock just back from the harbour side...

I think the place is great and when I retire that's where I am heading off to... just a pity there isn't any league Speedway over there at present but I keep my fingers crossed that the situation might change someday...

Regards

THJ 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ 

I'm from Widnes. We're not easily scared, even of mutant fish selling you cocktails......

Just waiting for someone top say they spent a month in Maryport one weekend. ;-)

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I'm from Widnes. We're not easily scared, even of mutant fish selling you cocktails......

Just waiting for someone top say they spent a month in Maryport one weekend. ;-)

You have obviously never done the Maryport Blues Festival.... 

Now there's a big weekend...

Regards 

THJ 

3 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ 

my eldest played there after the band won the battle of the bands . it is a great day out if you can get to the end . 

7 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ 

Now your talking biggin blue festival.. we had a trip through there when I worked in wigton & aspatria back in the late 90`s cracking boozy joints but silloth is still 1 of my favorite places to get a good bevvie or a dozen soon the neck

• Like 1

In what years - exclude WW2 - has there been speedway at Newcastle? The celebration Presume is to mark the sport's anniversary opening meeting and not virtual continuous action for 90 years. My memories of Newcastle riders mainly include Norman Evans, Charlie Spinks and others of the immediate Post-WW2 seasons. A great club IMO. Have a wonderful celebration. 

Edited by Guest

22 hours ago, StevePark said:

Nice video, would be good to see more lineup, other than Bjarne and the lad he's bringing over... I'm hoping and praying Nicki gets announced soon

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ 

Yes, I've lived a sheltered life - grew up in a bus station.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Yes, I've lived a sheltered life - grew up in a bus station.

Some canny concrete bus shelters all over west Cumbria

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ 

I have looked a few times at the blues festival but never been but I did go to Solfest once in Silloth.

1 hour ago, soupy said:

I have looked a few times at the blues festival but never been but I did go to Solfest once in Silloth.

Solfest is a good festival but Maryport Blues used to be something else; I say used to be because due to escalating costs the whole thing has been racked back; the main route through the town was closed off with a stage at the bottom of the main street (Senhouse Street) as you went over the bridge to the harbour... The whole town was bouncing from the Thursday through to the Sunday and they had some top marque recognised and famous acts performing... unfortunately I doubt we will see those heady times again...

However its not all doom and gloom the Blues is now run on a smaller more modest scale and all the pubs still put bands on through the weekend with some having 3 different acts on in the same day plus the pubs are open from early to very (very) late and its still good entertainment which is mostly free (the clubs sometimes (but rarely) have a small cover charge)... they also have kids rides and food stands for the compulsory (dirty) burger and this year the weather was cracking so that helped and you can see plenty of local and up and coming bands with a few established turns strutting there stuff as well... So if you like a drink and enjoy watching live music; I couldn't give the Blues a stronger recommendation because as stated its free to see most of the bands in the pubs and clubs; you just check your programme and wander from pub to pub on a musical pub crawl...

Regards
THJ

• Like 1