British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Practice Sun 22nd Mar. Press Day 23rd March, but keep an eye on things as this may change.

BUT... in addition

Facebook statement:

Unfortunately, with the current global situation with coronavirus, we are making the decision to postpone the press and practice social event on the Sunday evening, until the situation becomes clearer.

We have not taken this decision lightly but the health and safety of all our staff, riders and supporters is of our upmost importance.

We appreciate your cooperation in this matter. Further details will be released in due course.

Cheers Steve

Darren Hartley will make a good team manager.... vast experience in the sport... and definitely infinitely better than Jason Pipe.

9 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

Darren Hartley will make a good team manager.... vast experience in the sport... and definitely infinitely better than Jason Pipe.

A lot of 'vastly experienced' individuals have not made good team managers.

The bigger question would be why was Jason Pipe appointed in the first place, then sacked?

correct me if I am wrong but was Darren Hartley Jan staechmann's mechanic in the late 90's?

22 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

There's obviously a lot more gone on in that department of the club over the years but track staff ( volunteers ) have a stayed on board without no problem at all

Doesn't make it right that they should be effectively "dismissed" without reason or explanation.

2 hours ago, neb said:

correct me if I am wrong but was Darren Hartley Jan staechmann's mechanic in the late 90's?

Yes he was

2 hours ago, leander said:

Doesn't make it right that they should be effectively "dismissed" without reason or explanation.

Tin hat on as usual.. But Why does Rob have to give a reason? Its not as if they are ‘paid’ employees. He may just want his own people in who he personally trusts? ( not saying others aren't trustworthy either) Harsh on some but not before time on others imo... Nothing wrong with that surely?

personally I'm over the moon that the freemason type, closed shop them and us clique that has been at Newcastle speedway for many years has been smashed to smithereens!! 

Hail hail.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Arson fire said:

Tin hat on as usual.. But Why does Rob have to give a reason? Its not as if they are ‘paid’ employees. He may just want his own people in who he personally trusts? ( not saying others aren't trustworthy either) Harsh on some but not before time on others imo... Nothing wrong with that surely?

personally I'm over the moon that the freemason type, closed shop them and us clique that has been at Newcastle speedway for many years has been smashed to smithereens!! 

Hail hail.

New broom sweeps clean.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Arson fire said:

Hail hail.

On the face of it no. BUT and it's a big BUT, at the first social evening after the take-over he was specifically asked from the floor " Would he be retaining all the current staff/volunteers?" The answer:- "Yes, we will be keeping ALL the existing people." If he'd said "we'll wait and see" then fair enough, but he said the exact opposite. I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the reasons George quit.

I seem to remember something similar happening at Workington a number of years ago when the new owner kept on all the previous track staff..........For about a month into the new season then they had all been "persuaded" to quit. Be warned!!!

8 minutes ago, leander said:

On the face of it no. BUT and it's a big BUT, at the first social evening after the take-over he was specifically asked from the floor " Would he be retaining all the current staff/volunteers?" The answer:- "Yes, we will be keeping ALL the existing people." If he'd said "we'll wait and see" then fair enough, but he said the exact opposite. I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the reasons George quit.

I seem to remember something similar happening at Workington a number of years ago when the new owner kept on all the previous track staff..........For about a month into the new season then they had all been "persuaded" to quit. Be warned!!!

Fair enough, but if it was my dollars i was putting into a business id want my own people with me... especially on the money side of things. As i say its harsh on some but its Robs call and fair play to him for doing it his way, he must have his reasons. Be interesting when the dust settles who's services have been retained.  Its quite refreshing in my opinion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arson fire said:

Hail hail.

Agree with you 

1 hour ago, screm said:

New broom sweeps clean.

A get the impression that Rob doesn't suffer fools. 

Wonder if the same riders will still be there if Speedway runs this season :D 

They might be replaced before turning a wheel.