British Speedway Forum

As much as it’s sad to see people lose their jobs ( paid or unpaid) I have admiration for what Rob Grant has done with Newcastle. Roy Clarke was never my cup of tea at the BEN fund this & last season I left with a headache due to his over the top reactions & shouting down a mic. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lionspride said:

As much as it’s sad to see people lose their jobs ( paid or unpaid) I have admiration for what Rob Grant has done with Newcastle. Roy Clarke was never my cup of tea at the BEN fund this & last season I left with a headache due to his over the top reactions & shouting down a mic. 

I like Roy and he brings some laughs and keeps our place at Redcar going during the meetings.

Better than having someone who hasn't a clue on the sport or nothing at all.

Maybe Newcastle could have a bingo caller during the interview that might be better for them.:D

I agree what Rob Grant has done keeping the Diamonds going as nobody wants to see a team fail, but disagree with Pipey not getting a chance but that's speedway everyone tells me.

• Like 1

I like some of the stuff Roy does and he is very knowledgable about speedway in the past.

• Like 2

Has Roy been relieved of his duties? Or is this just talk that he will go as well...

3 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Has Roy been relieved of his duties? Or is this just talk that he will go as well...

Website says Centre Green Announcer will be Andrew Dalby.

• Like 1

Andrew Dalby is a great guy to have IMO as a Centre Green Announcer and we are very lucky indeed to have his services.

But, do you know what, I think I have a slightly sour taste in my mouth about the departure of Roy Clarke.

Maybe I shouldn't, but my recollection is that he stepped in at very short notice to replace Andrew without having any previous experience of undertaking such a role. That takes some gumption and like his style or not, he was ever dependable and became much more proficient in the role as time went on. He was also very knowledgeable about the sport and had the ability to chat away during those long pauses which sometimes occur when fence boards are being replaced in between heats, or during a long track grade. There's a lot worse than Roy and I suspect we might well miss the rapport that he had with the riders and a large number of Diamonds supporters.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Aceslider said:

Andrew Dalby is a great guy to have IMO as a Centre Green Announcer and we are very lucky indeed to have his services.

But, do you know what, I think I have a slightly sour taste in my mouth about the departure of Roy Clarke.

Maybe I shouldn't, but my recollection is that he stepped in at very short notice to replace Andrew without having any previous experience of undertaking such a role. That takes some gumption and like his style or not, he was ever dependable and became much more proficient in the role as time went on. He was also very knowledgeable about the sport and had the ability to chat away during those long pauses which sometimes occur when fence boards are being replaced in between heats, or during a long track grade. There's a lot worse than Roy and I suspect we might well miss the rapport that he had with the riders and a large number of Diamonds supporters.

Wasn't there someone else in between Andrew and Roy?,,, 

I wouldn't 'slate' Roy at all, done an adequate job, we've all seen better or worse.

Dunno why Andrew stopped doing it, but maybe he had other things going on.

9 minutes ago, Aceslider said:

My (poor!) memory says there was two Centre Green Presenters between Andrew and Roy (but could be wrong!).  Dave Allan was one and the other (who only lasted a few weeks) I can't remember the name of at the moment.  No doubt someone will confirm (or otherwise!) this.

1 minute ago, StevePark said:

My (poor!) memory says there was two Centre Green Presenters between Andrew and Roy (but could be wrong!).  Dave Allan was one and the other (who only lasted a few weeks) I can't remember the name of at the moment.  No doubt someone will confirm (or otherwise!) this.

There was a guy that was there for more than 'a few weeks',,, no idea of his name, but didn't seem to be too enthusiastic. 

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

There was a guy that was there for more than 'a few weeks',,, no idea of his name, but didn't seem to be too enthusiastic. 

Was he not from Berwick.?

11 hours ago, Lionspride said:

Paracetamol every 4 hours 

4 hours ago, Speedway4ever said:

I like Roy and he brings some laughs and keeps our place at Redcar going during the meetings.

Better than having someone who hasn't a clue on the sport or nothing at all.

Maybe Newcastle could have a bingo caller during the interview that might be better for them.:D

I agree what Rob Grant has done keeping the Diamonds going as nobody wants to see a team fail, but disagree with Pipey not getting a chance but that's speedway everyone tells me.

Would've been good to see what Jason could've done 

• Like 1

It's great that rob has had a clean sweep of the club & hopefully all the backstabbing click of secret handshake tin hat brigade   & tail carriers have gone & it will be a much better place to spend a sunday evening when it eventually gets going....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Was he not from Berwick.?

Not sure mate,,, was probly more likely to be from the paint mixing department at B&Q.

11 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

It's great that rob has had a clean sweep of the club & hopefully all the backstabbing click of secret handshake tin hat brigade   & tail carriers have gone & it will be a much better place to spend a sunday evening when it eventually gets going....

As long as there is enough people left prepared to run it.

Edited by Tsunami