British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, StevePark said:

Sorry to hear this but have we not got enough bad news to deal with without posts like this.... however now that you have raised the elephant in the room Newcastle have lost another fan and former sponsor not only of the club but a major supporter of various past and present riders....

Brian Paddison lost the fight against Covid 19 last week and someone else who although hadn't been regularly to Brough over the last couple of seasons will be sadly missed...

Both RIP but I doubt they will be the last to succumb... especially with this virus still rampant...

Testing times for everyone... stay well stay safe and look after yourself...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, StevePark said:

Very sad news about Peter R.I.P. and condolences to his family.

Peter was a Diamonds fan through and through. Not only did he provide financial backing, but he and his wife did so much behind the scenes when speedway was making a comeback at Newcastle in the late 90s as well as providing heavy equipment for track work when it was needed

One of life's genuine characters who will be sorely missed!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

At least we will not get beat tonight..every cloud and all that.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, soupy said:

True... but you would still rather be there watching some Speedway having a pint and a hog roast banjo than being locked in watching the tripe being dished up on this telly am sure.... am nearly regretting flagging over me garden cos if a had some grass to cut a would be out doing that... there's only so many times you can clean windows or wash a car... 

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soupy said:

Typical isn't it,,, a very much doubt any speedway would have been lost to bad weather thus far this season. If or when it does get started,  a bet it rains :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

True... but you would still rather be there watching some Speedway having a pint and a hog roast banjo than being locked in watching the tripe being dished up on this telly am sure.... am nearly regretting flagging over me garden cos if a had some grass to cut a would be out doing that... there's only so many times you can clean windows or wash a car... 

Regards 

THJ 

Thought yi had a van 

Just think of the positive side tho I know it's another week without speedway but if every 1 does as there telt & stays indoors barring us key grafters the sooner every 1 becomes healthier & the speedway will be back 

• Like 1

Morning 

On a much less serious note; here is a true story I have just read; how do I know it was true? well it was on the internet so it must be...

So there was this man in Bulgaria who drove trains for a living.

He loved his job. Driving a train had been his dream ever since he was a child. He loved to make the train go as fast as possible. Unfortunately, one day he was a little too reckless and caused a crash. He made it out, but a single person died. Well, needless to say, he went to court over this incident. He was found guilty, and was sentenced to death by electrocution. When the day of the execution came, he requested a single banana as his last meal. After eating the banana, he was strapped into the electric chair. The switch was thrown, sparks flew, and smoke filled the air - but nothing happened. The man was perfectly fine.

Well, at the time, there was an Old Bulgarian law that said a failed execution was a sign of divine intervention, so the man was allowed to go free. Somehow, he managed to get his old job back driving the train. Having not learned his lesson at all, he went right back to driving the train with reckless abandon. Once again, he caused a train to crash, this time killing two people. The trial went much the same as the first, resulting in a sentence of execution. For his final meal, the man requested two bananas. After eating the bananas, he was strapped into the electric chair. The switch was thrown, sparks flew, smoke filled the room - and the man was once again unharmed.

Well, this of course meant that he was free to go. And once again, he somehow managed to get his old job back. To what should have been the surprise of no one, he crashed yet another train and killed three people. And so he once again found himself being sentenced to death. On the day of his execution, he requested his final meal: three bananas.

"You know what? No," said the executioner. "I've had it with you and your stupid bananas and walking out of here unharmed. I'm not giving you a thing to eat; we're strapping you in and doing this now." Well, it was against protocol, but the man was strapped in to the electric chair without a last meal. The switch was pulled, sparks flew, smoke filled the room - and the man was still unharmed. The executioner was speechless.

The man looked at the executioner and said, "Oh, the bananas had nothing to do with it. Not only am I rubbish at driving trains; I'm a bad conductor too."

Regards
THJ

• Haha 4

The sooner the government realises that they need to get folk back to work the better ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

The sooner the government realises that they need to get folk back to work the better ;)

Honestly Ruff

I am at work as we are key workers for support services to the elderly...

Only thing is its emergencies only; so works like total loss of power, lighting or heating and hot water, major plumbing problems, broken windows and essential works similar to these; however to be fair everyone is being sensible and over the last three weeks we have been averaging between 2 to 3 jobs a day (rather than 30 to 40 a day) and that's over an 8000 unit portfolio of properties, only one job in today to put a dehumidifier into a property flooded from a burst in the flat above. So the boredom is palpable.

Easter was interesting as last year we done 33 jobs over the four day off period and this year not one?

However on a speedway note and chatting on the phone to a friend in Cumbria who is in the know!!!  (in the know Tony from Maryport remember him) if the lock-down succeeds in its goals and the Covid 19 infections fall to a manageable level and everything is relaxed as we try and return back to some type of normality; we could be looking at turning the proverbial speedway tap back on for the start of July; however one league with one home and one away fixture (total 22 meetings) and the winners of the league being pronounced champions with no play off but a knockout cup running as well. All still tentative but obviously the right people are talking to each other I am led to believe. So something positive to look forward to if (and its a big IF) things keep progressing in a positive fashion, but its still some time off.

Couple of things I can see as being a problem like getting the foreign riders in; as reading on the internet (if its not fake news) Australia are possibly looking at a lock-down of sorts until September radically restricting travel so any team with an Aussie rider in it could potentially have difficulties and some European countries are also taking different stances on how to tackle the Covid 19 outbreak; so again movement of riders will be a big issue I would suggest... So guests will be heavily used I reckon but as I say still a long way to go on this but we still could see some action before the season is over...

The exit plan the government set up will have a great deal to do with what happens as well; and especially their take on mass gatherings which will be the last thing they will want; so as stated it is a very long way off yet but fingers crossed and we get out of this Cluster Fc.uk we find ourselves in; sooner rather than later...

Stay well; stay safe and look after yourself...

Regards 

THJ 

40 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly Ruff

I am at work as we are key workers for support services to the elderly...

Only thing is its emergencies only; so works like total loss of power, lighting or heating and hot water, major plumbing problems, broken windows and essential works similar to these; however to be fair everyone is being sensible and over the last three weeks we have been averaging between 2 to 3 jobs a day (rather than 30 to 40 a day) and that's over an 8000 unit portfolio of properties, only one job in today to put a dehumidifier into a property flooded from a burst in the flat above. So the boredom is palpable.

Easter was interesting as last year we done 33 jobs over the four day off period and this year not one?

However on a speedway note and chatting on the phone to a friend in Cumbria who is in the know!!!  (in the know Tony from Maryport remember him) if the lock-down succeeds in its goals and the Covid 19 infections fall to a manageable level and everything is relaxed as we try and return back to some type of normality; we could be looking at turning the proverbial speedway tap back on for the start of July; however one league with one home and one away fixture (total 22 meetings) and the winners of the league being pronounced champions with no play off but a knockout cup running as well. All still tentative but obviously the right people are talking to each other I am led to believe. So something positive to look forward to if (and its a big IF) things keep progressing in a positive fashion, but its still some time off.

Couple of things I can see as being a problem like getting the foreign riders in; as reading on the internet (if its not fake news) Australia are possibly looking at a lock-down of sorts until September radically restricting travel so any team with an Aussie rider in it could potentially have difficulties and some European countries are also taking different stances on how to tackle the Covid 19 outbreak; so again movement of riders will be a big issue I would suggest... So guests will be heavily used I reckon but as I say still a long way to go on this but we still could see some action before the season is over...

The exit plan the government set up will have a great deal to do with what happens as well; and especially their take on mass gatherings which will be the last thing they will want; so as stated it is a very long way off yet but fingers crossed and we get out of this Cluster Fc.uk we find ourselves in; sooner rather than later...

Stay well; stay safe and look after yourself...

Regards 

THJ 

Was thinking along the lines of,,, IF we can get some speedway in, but maybe only using British based riders. Say 1 or 2 leagues, split geographically and share the riders out that can, or want to take part. It could be averaged based but, forget about their averages changing during what's left of the season. Then revert back to 2019 averages for 2021???

Just a daft idea, but maybe we could put up with it, if it keeps riders and fans getting their fixes.

• Like 1

somehow if poss .  it would  be good to see some sports returning to a normal schedule of fixtures and stuff . 

but , in the bigger picture would it not be better to see this covid problem out to the bitter end and save everyone from any doubt that covid is finally gone .

lets just forget about 2020 and look forward to next season (2021) knowing that we can attend speedway meetings, horse and footy matches without any fear of getting something we dont really want . 

its for the greater good, innit ......

• Like 1