British Speedway Forum

19 minutes ago, jenga said:

somehow if poss .  it would  be good to see some sports returning to a normal schedule of fixtures and stuff . 

but , in the bigger picture would it not be better to see this covid problem out to the bitter end and save everyone from any doubt that covid is finally gone .

lets just forget about 2020 and look forward to next season (2021) knowing that we can attend speedway meetings, horse and footy matches without any fear of getting something we dont really want . 

its for the greater good, innit ......

Dunno if anyone knows the best way out, or if it will ever totally go?,,,

Some folk will do what is the best way for them, to see it thru hopefully. 

57 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Was thinking along the lines of,,, IF we can get some speedway in, but maybe only using British based riders. Say 1 or 2 leagues, split geographically and share the riders out that can, or want to take part. It could be averaged based but, forget about their averages changing during what's left of the season. Then revert back to 2019 averages for 2021???

Just a daft idea, but maybe we could put up with it, if it keeps riders and fans getting their fixes.

Well the craic is "if" the restrictions are lifted they will have a go in running and if it's August the talk was of 6 North 6 South leagues and a play off between the top two. Time will ultimately be the deciding factor as to what can be fitted in...

The issue for clubs next year will be where do they get sponsorship from as everyone's pockets will be in lock-down mode for some time to come and I can see this potentially pushing some clubs over the edge...

Plus how hard has the fan base been hit with an average crowd age that must be pushing 60+ how many of them are stilll around and of those who are how many would want to attend an event where social distancing is difficult to achieve...

Some big decisions to be made that's for sure and there are no daft ideas at the moment I would say that nothing is off the table...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Hey

As of today there are only 250 days to Christmas... yeah!!!

Regards 

THJ 

Don't you need to polish one of your cars ?;)

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

will rust polish up then ?   sorry john . what was your classic car then ?

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Hey

As of today there are only 250 days to Christmas... yeah!!!

Regards 

THJ 

Thought I was going to survive all this (lockdown, no live speedway)but with that thought not so sure now.:blink:. Drives me mad anyway when its talked about before Dec 1st!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

No am working on a central heating pump would you believe...

3 hours ago, jenga said:

will rust polish up then ?   sorry john . what was your classic car then ?

It's a 1977 Ford Capri with 69,000 miles on... 1600cc in a nice metallic green with a go faster black vinyl roof... I was the third owner in 1980... cost me 2800 after a got 400 quid for the mini I traded in... was offered 10k for it last year an if he had of went to 12k I may have relented but I think he will be back.... apparently he lost his virginity in a very simlar model... May not be a classic in the true sense of the word but it is something I have cherished over the years...

2 hours ago, gazzac said:

Thought I was going to survive all this (lockdown, no live speedway)but with that thought not so sure now.:blink:. Drives me mad anyway when its talked about before Dec 1st!!

Every day is a Christmas Day at the minute... just think about what the poor sods had to put up with during the war!!! 4 years they had it with no TV or gadgets to entertain them.... we will survive just got to keep smiling on through and remember there is always someone worse off... you could be dead...

I have now lost several friends to this awful virus and we aren't out of the woods yet.... however and to be totally honest I am looking forward to getting back to some normality... but still need to keep a sense of reality and a smile on the dial...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling
  • Like 4

Morning

Saying that someone recklessly mentioned Christmas the other day (only 249 days to go! Yeah!!!) here's a couple of corona virus smiles for today? A Christmas bonus so to speak...

A poor man meets a rich man around Christmas.

The poor man asks the rich man, "What are you getting your wife this Christmas?" The rich man replies, "Diamond earrings and a Mercedes." The poor man asks, "Why are you getting her two gifts?" The rich man says, "Well, if she doesn't like the earrings then she can drive to the store and exchange them."

The poor man nods. Then the rich man asks him, "So what are you getting your wife this year?" The poor man thinks about it for a second and replies, "A pair of slippers and a dildo."

The rich man asks, "Why those two things?" The poor man astutely responds, "This way, if she doesn't like the slippers she can go f#ck herself."

A Mormon and an Irishman are on a plane.

A Mormon was seated next to an Irishman on a flight from London to the US.

After the plane was airborne, drink orders were taken. The Irishman asked for a whiskey, which was promptly brought and placed before him.

The flight attendant then asked the Mormon if he would like a drink. He replied in disgust, "I'd rather be savagely raped by a dozen whores than let liquor touch my lips."

The Irishman then handed his drink back to the attendant and said, "Me, too, I didn't know we had a choice."

Both quite true I am led to believe (cough cough) and on a more serious note and as a bonus quiz question does anyone know the difference between Irish and Scottish Whiskies...

Stay well; stay safe and look after yourself...

Regards
THJ

they both have different accents ! hope that helps .

One is made in Ireland & the other is made in Scotland. :rolleyes:

No seriously, I think ruff is right in the grains used. Irish whiskey, with an "e", is made with malted & unmalted barley whereas the Scottish whisky, without the "e", is only made with malted barley.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jenga said:

they both have different accents ! hope that helps .

Wrong 

9 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

It's made differently or from different grains/whatever they use.

and Wrong

Sorry chaps both wrong... so no prize there then... that's saved as buying a coconut...

The difference is an "E"

Regards
THJ

• Haha 1

Honestly

The Scots spell it whisky and the Irish spell it whiskey, with an extra 'e'. This difference in the spelling comes from the translations of the word from the Scottish and Irish Gaelic forms. Whiskey with the extra 'e' is also used when referring to American whiskies. Although Bourbon is a definite poor version of the stuff in my humble opinion...

You will find the Irish and the Yanks spell it Whiskey whereas anyone else in the world who produces Whisky spells it well... Whisky without the "E"

So the spelling whisky is generally used for whiskies distilled in Scotland, Canada, Australia, Japan and Europe, while whiskey is used for the spirits distilled in Ireland and America and has nothing to do with the grains used.

By lad learning as well... oh the joy...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn

13 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

One is made in Ireland & the other is made in Scotland. :rolleyes:

No seriously, I think ruff is right in the grains used. Irish whiskey, with an "e", is made with malted & unmalted barley whereas the Scottish whisky, without the "e", is only made with malted barley.

Aye, something like that, I learned some stuff at college. 

Dunno if whisky, (with or without E),,, is good for unblocking your sink, as it's the only place I would put it ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Haha 1