British Speedway Forum

7 hours ago, Tsunami said:

They distracted him, as he couldn't seem to get it right, meaning if he started first he was usually third into the bend. Why did it work at KL but not Newcastle ?.

Wonder if baby bjerre had the same gizmos or was he just taken the urine

• Haha 1

Care to explain in broad what these gizmos were, vaugely not in detail obviously don't want anyone compromising themselves.  On a similar subject I bought some jackets of a guy who told me he was developing a 'special ignition system which help riders make better starts' in conjunction with a top English rider' (name witheld) mentioned to me and is very well known.  That same rider is still in action in two leagues, though not currently, but neiher his starting nor his form in general really improved, so either he didn't use the new system or it offered no real benefit.....

Edited by martinmauger
grammar, spelling

11 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

Wonder if baby bjerre had the same gizmos or was he just taken the urine

I remember Smolinski was accused of using something dodgy to alter the timing to make a good start round about the time he won the NZ Gp don’t know if it was legal or not.

27 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I remember Smolinski was accused of using something dodgy to alter the timing to make a good start round about the time he won the NZ Gp don’t know if it was legal or not.

Watch on YouTube , smolinski explains the switch - it's technical wizardry.

1 minute ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

Was it banned, though he had another lever to alter timing after the start?

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Was it banned, though he had another lever to alter timing after the start?

I think in the end he took whatever he was using off so he didn't get any more questioning about it from officials etc- I'm sure variations of such have been tried over the years - nothing beats gating ability to give an initial advantage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

I think in the end he took whatever he was using off so he didn't get any more questioning about it from officials etc- I'm sure variations of such have been tried over the years - nothing beats gating ability to give an initial advantage.

Thanks,just watched You Tube.Interesting.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 6:44 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Am guessing either 1. No one else wanted him 2. No one could fit him in because of his average. 3. Newcastle offered him so much money that greed got the better of him and he chased the filthy lucre even though he isn't keen on the track...

Just guessing like...

Or as an edit 4. maybe he came to Newcastle to master a track that he has on occasions struggled at... and maybe he thought he would end up a better rider... Danes do have a penchant for making a name for themselves at Newcastle... maybe his reason for coming was totally honourable...

Yep a like that reason better...

Regards 

THJ 

I would like to think 4. as is the case with some riders. I seem to remember R Douglas saying this was a reason behind signing for Leicester & Wolves as he wanted to learn & try to master different shaped tracks.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 7:32 PM, Tsunami said:

Very true. it was known he was a gater and is for Kings Lynn as his results show. Known as a gater, and also having the special gizmos on his bike to improve it, he regular failed to reset it at the start, and after moving first would usually be third into the 1st bend. 

Special gizmos? Enlighten us, please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

After just seeing the final on YouTube, Smolinski's win was nothing to do with his start, just going the shortest way round for 4 laps. 

1 hour ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

All he mentions is a 2nd cable/switch which he now has at the rear of his engine rather than on the handlebars but doesn't explain what it does.

I remember seeing a clip a few years ago where Iversen or Andersen, after a race, brought their left hand over to the right side to alter or switch something off.

6 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

After just seeing the final on YouTube, Smolinski's win was nothing to do with his start, just going the shortest way round for 4 laps. 

All he mentions is a 2nd cable/switch which he now has at the rear of his engine rather than on the handlebars but doesn't explain what it does.

I remember seeing a clip a few years ago where Iversen or Andersen, after a race, brought their left hand over to the right side to alter or switch something off.

6 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

It alters the ignition timing to control grip/ wheel spin.Roughly speaking.

I remember reading something about altering the strength of the spark at the plug.

As long as it is not variable or electronic during a race, I can not see a problem. They were going to use limiters this year, though.

13 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Care to explain in broad what these gizmos were, vaugely not in detail obviously don't want anyone compromising themselves.  On a similar subject I bought some jackets of a guy who told me he was developing a 'special ignition system which help riders make better starts' in conjunction with a top English rider' (name witheld) mentioned to me and is very well known.  That same rider is still in action in two leagues, though not currently, but neiher his starting nor his form in general really improved, so either he didn't use the new system or it offered no real benefit.....

There was an electric ignition system produced and used in the early 00's. It was a small lever on the handle bars which detuned/retarded the ignition so producing more grip from the start with less spins. Once in front the rider flicked the ignition back to normal having gained from the gate advantage. I caught a very fast starting Exeter rider at our away meeting at Exeter using one, but the rider hid his bike from me and the machine examiner wouldn't do anything about it. I reported it to the Ref and the SCB, but I never heard anything after that. It was illegal cos in 1997 there was a vote amongst riders as to whether programmable ignitions could be introduced into British Speedway, but they voted against them mainly on the basis of cost. Hope that helps.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

I remember reading something about altering the strength of the spark at the plug.

As long as it is not variable or electronic during a race, I can not see a problem. They were going to use limiters this year, though.

The gismo that was used by Tomas is to change the angle of the front suspension to get a different angle digging in which is then pushed off. He pushes lever on the suspension  and after the start I am told he has to kick the thing to get back to the original designed angle.This is the part he can't get right after he gets out of the gate first.  

53 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

The gismo that was used by Tomas is to change the angle of the front suspension to get a different angle digging in which is then pushed off. He pushes lever on the suspension  and after the start I am told he has to kick the thing to get back to the original designed angle.This is the part he can't get right after he gets out of the gate first.  

If I'm not wrong Kevin doolan was the first to use this - you push the fork blade down to set it and once you've made a start a lever is pushed ( or pulled) to release the forks to the original position , it is used on Motocross bikes to compress the suspension for a better ( hard front end , not springing about ) start line take off . 

• Thanks 1

it’s a hole shot device which is used in motocross only holds the front end down for less lift until it hits the first bump then releases itself most riders have tried it and does not make much difference you still have to drop the clutch faster than anybody else 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2