British Speedway Forum

12 hours ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

Watch on YouTube , smolinski explains the switch - it's technical wizardry.

Aye but it may be !! But he's never became world champ tho

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

I would like to think 4. as is the case with some riders. I seem to remember R Douglas saying this was a reason behind signing for Leicester & Wolves as he wanted to learn & try to master different shaped tracks.

Special gizmos? Enlighten us, please.

new clutch basket and plates . another carby . are they not classed as modifications ?

6 hours ago, mac101 said:

it’s a hole shot device which is used in motocross only holds the front end down for less lift until it hits the first bump then releases itself most riders have tried it and does not make much difference you still have to drop the clutch faster than anybody else 

It’s now being used in MotoGP aswell, Ducati started using it last season.

9 hours ago, Tsunami said:

There was an electric ignition system produced and used in the early 00's. It was a small lever on the handle bars which detuned/retarded the ignition so producing more grip from the start with less spins. Once in front the rider flicked the ignition back to normal having gained from the gate advantage. I caught a very fast starting Exeter rider at our away meeting at Exeter using one, but the rider hid his bike from me and the machine examiner wouldn't do anything about it. I reported it to the Ref and the SCB, but I never heard anything after that. It was illegal cos in 1997 there was a vote amongst riders as to whether programmable ignitions could be introduced into British Speedway, but they voted against them mainly on the basis of cost. Hope that helps.

Thanks and inrteresting stuff, 'in a former life' I did car & motorcycle mechanicking so know a little about such things.  From what I remember, it was in a former life.  So a kind of 'launch control system' then, which surprisingly is a standard option mode in some new cars with automatic gearboxes.  I know Sam Ermolenko had such a switch fitted to the left handlebar one of his bikes in Hull's 1999 Elite League season, he explained it to Kelv & Nige live on Sky that it was to select 1of 2 ignition timing settings. It was the June '99 match v Belle Vue, the one where Joe Screen post race went 'handlebar to handlebar' with Jimmy Nielsen on the back straight, yes that one....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

1 hour ago, jenga said:

mechaniking  ! ! !

It is a German word lol

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2020 at 2:36 AM, martinmauger said:

I once asked the late, great Ivan Mauger, who knew a thing or two million about the Brough Park / Newcastle Stadium track, why he chose Newcastle for son Kym's first club.  He replied (words to the effect) "it's a bit of a tricky track but if you master it you should ride all tracks better or at least you will improve as a rider.  Plus the Geordies up there are great, friendly people and if they can see you are trying your best, then they will support you all the way which is very important especially when you are starting out".  Couldn't have put it better myself....

On Ivan's last visit to the UK to promote his book around 2010/11 "Ivan Mauger: The Will to Win: The Autobiography" I bought myself a copy and in there he said "if you can ride Brough Park you can ride any track in the world" and that was when the track was not only longer than today's track but approximately a whole lane narrower and the bends didn't really open out as much as they do now... so much more of a trick track back then I would say.

The best laugh was I was standing in the pits with Kenni Larsen whilst Dalbers was interviewing Ivan on the centre green and he asked "Well Ivan what do you think of the track these days" Ivan's response was "you've ruined the place! you've made it far to easy to get round now" and Kenni turned round and said "whose this old nutter who thinks this is an easy track to ride" and when I explained who Ivan was and what he had done winning six world titles and when at Newcastle had an average of over 11 points... Kenni who had never heard of him previously was in awe of the guy and by the end of the interview was well impressed... Kenni even had a chat with him later on in the meeting and Ivan said he was impressed with Kenni's starting ability and his style on a bike. (which I think was fair praise indeed)

Great talent Ivan and a true speedway legend sadly missed (and on the track side of things at Newcastle you could say the same about Kenni)

Regards
THJ

• Like 6

Just a thought about the current situation, I know the cut off for racing is normally 31st October but is it possible to use stadium past that point... Although I'm personally thinking this season is going to be written off totally, don't mean to be a doom merchant just my gut feeling... 

50 minutes ago, andys said:

Just a thought about the current situation, I know the cut off for racing is normally 31st October but is it possible to use stadium past that point... Although I'm personally thinking this season is going to be written off totally, don't mean to be a doom merchant just my gut feeling... 

New cut off date could be the eve of the man who gets stuck in the fire breast 

Edited by pienpeesman
Mistake
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

On Ivan's last visit to the UK to promote his book around 2010/11 "Ivan Mauger: The Will to Win: The Autobiography" I bought myself a copy and in there he said "if you can ride Brough Park you can ride any track in the world" and that was when the track was not only longer than today's track but approximately a whole lane narrower and the bends didn't really open out as much as they do now... so much more of a trick track back then I would say.

The best laugh was I was standing in the pits with Kenni Larsen whilst Dalbers was interviewing Ivan on the centre green and he asked "Well Ivan what do you think of the track these days" Ivan's response was "you've ruined the place! you've made it far to easy to get round now" and Kenni turned round and said "whose this old nutter who thinks this is an easy track to ride" and when I explained who Ivan was and what he had done winning six world titles and when at Newcastle had an average of over 11 points... Kenni who had never heard of him previously was in awe of the guy and by the end of the interview was well impressed... Kenni even had a chat with him later on in the meeting and Ivan said he was impressed with Kenni's starting ability and his style on a bike. (which I think was fair praise indeed)

Great talent Ivan and a true speedway legend sadly missed (and on the track side of things at Newcastle you could say the same about Kenni)

Regards
THJ

A similar thing happened at Hull in 2000.  I found out too late but Ivan turned up unannounced (as was his wont) to the Hull's press day, with Peter Collins and Dave Jessup (though not 100% sure about DJ), and wandered around the pits talking to the riders about bikes, the track, etc.   When Ivan spoke us lesser mortals listened, right ?  Well one rider (name wittheld) asked "who is that bloke and what does he know about speedway ?" :nono:  I intended mentioning this to Ivan at his Hull book singing /  'meet & greet' in 2010 as he was known for his wry sense of humour, but I'm afraid I bottled it as I'd already bent his ear for 10mins+ talking about my photos I took of of him which I gave to him, but I'm sure he would have laughed when hearing about the Hull pits episode :D....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

New cut off date could be the eve of the man who gets stuck in the fire breast 

Just for a laugh it's Xmas day proud panther

2 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

Just for a laugh it's Xmas day proud panther

could be o so true . 

lets give covid 19 a second chance to kill us all off  and hold a speedway/football and any other sport meeting/,game and ruin the work that has been done and ruin  the world as we know it . 

sorry about jumping in with a non topic post ..

10 hours ago, martinmauger said:

A similar thing happened at Hull in 2000.  I found out too late but Ivan turned up unannounced (as was his wont) to the Hull's press day, with Peter Collins and Dave Jessup (though not 100% sure about DJ), and wandered around the pits talking to the riders about bikes, the track, etc.   When Ivan spoke us lesser mortals listened, right ?  Well one rider (name wittheld) asked "who is that bloke and what does he know about speedway ?" :nono:  I intended mentioning this to Ivan at his Hull book singing /  'meet & greet' in 2010 as he was known for his wry sense of humour, but I'm afraid I bottled it as I'd already bent his ear for 10mins+ talking about my photos I took of of him which I gave to him, but I'm sure he would have laughed when hearing about the Hull pits episode :D....

He did "karaoke" too. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, martinmauger said:

With Ivan's love of Newcastle, every time he came back to this country, he used to plan his time here and then ring Joan English to advise her of his visit. I believe he used to meet a family he knew in the afternoon, and then travel on to us. His visit was never announced and he was often in the office at the beginning of the meeting but the fans  didn't know. At some stage he would come out and stand in the office doorway and then the news went around that Ivan was with us. Another reason he used to visit us was to check on the progress of David Bargh and Mark Thorpe. He never forgot the New Zealanders. As soon as he arrived and met people, he was away and gone. Very low key.

• Like 4