British Speedway Forum

53 minutes ago, JCookie said:

Can we still buy any of the GRT media DVDs anywhere?

Don't think so. After Bob Tasker died, the master tapes passed to someone else, and, to my knowledge, there has been no attempt to restart selling copies of the old videos.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JCookie said:

Can we still buy any of the GRT media DVDs anywhere?

14 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Don't think so. After Bob Tasker died, the master tapes passed to someone else, and, to my knowledge, there has been no attempt to restart selling copies of the old videos.

Tsunami is quite right, you can't buy them directly, the only place you can get them is if any turn up on eBay, or any other selling site like that.

• Like 1

So if the information is correct and Poland is opening up and will be having and running Speedway meetings behind closed doors; and not dismissing Covid we know why they can do this; the sport over there is apparently awash with cash and well supported with riders on good money... So fair play no argument with that...

Now I don't normally do this as I do not like trying to second guess what will happen but hang in there...

We are hearing that some riders are bailing out of their home nations and heading for Poland where they will do two weeks of self isolation and then they will be good to go racing after doing their quarantine. Also and although not fully known yet; it is being intimated that the UK will also be implementing a two week quarantine period (or self isolation) for anyone coming into the country... (unless from Ireland or France!!!)

Now hopefully you can see where I am going here.... where will this leave clubs who have riders (both home based in the UK or Foreign) racing in more than one country (which many riders do these days) and especially in Poland with the pull they have... what will the impact be on the British Leagues where I would suggest clubs can not compete wage wise against our European cousins and obviously riders need to earn like the rest of us... so the riders preference may be to go abroad and staying there for the rest of this season due to the restrictions being applied by various countries...

So I would suggest riders (or the better ones) will head off to Poland (for the big bucks) and due to travel restrictions will not be able to country hop as they did in the past and this scenario could last for some time into the future.. maybe and again just a guess; up to the end of the year... So clubs (and to a lesser extent riders) will be placed in a very difficult position.

I am not sure if any of the proposed Newcastle side race in any of the Polish Leagues being a Sunday track although some of the lower Polish Leagues race on other nights or if Claus Vissing has a Danish team or Nick and Ondrej race elsewhere but there will be some hard choices to make... other riders like Tero I believe has a Polish side so that may impact Scunny... and clubs with Aussie riders may have issues!!! as will any of those lads come across (or want to for that mater) for what could potentially be a savagely cut back season... So any Championship club (and Premier) running with a Foreign rider could be in a predicament as the rider may have to choose where he wants to race; Home Nation; UK; Poland or any other league that will pay the bills for that matter and to be fair neither the clubs nor the riders are to blame for the situation... but the rider will become in effect "locked in" potentially to the country he chooses to ride in due to quarantining restrictions limiting the travel options...

So without the help of a crystal ball the question is "will we get any meaningful racing in the UK this year"? Some hard choices and harder decisions to make to what way Clubs; Riders and the Sport in the UK will jump in this Covid ravaged season...

The cup was half full but its evaporating fast... but is there any way out of this situation?

Stay well; stay safe and look after yourself...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling,

I appreciate all of your points THJ, but I believe the Polish speedway authorities, have already decreed, that if you ride in Poland, then you live in Poland, for the season. By that they mean, no flitting about from country to country. They have also reduced the pay rates by 50% I believe, its kind of a take it or leave it situation. I think a lot of riders will take it. I can't see any British speedway taking place, on the basis, that I cannot see the government, allowing spectators into stadia, before the end of October, (just my personal opinion). So it might be a mute point that riders go to Poland, because I don't think they are going to miss much speedway here. God I hope I am wrong.

• Like 1

Yep "Sidewinder" and I don't disagree with what you are saying; its no slight on any league or how they are going to operate if they get the chance to and as I opened "Not dismissing Covid" as these are exceptional times; however the point I was trying to make was that we are hearing that the likes of Antonio Lindback; Niki Pedersen and Dan Bewley to name but a few have all flown out to Poland and are self isolating ready to race in the Polish leagues...  (could be fake news and it could have been any league not just Poland and again I ain't got no axe to grind with any other league its just the Poles have put their head above the Covid parapet first) and the way I see it is that under the current "Covid" guidelines; those three riders are committing to race in Poland and as you put it, will not be "flitting" about. Quarantine measure just make that unfeasible...

So in the case of Niki and Dan they wont be available for their British teams here due to the travel restrictions; which will provide major issues I would suggest for their UK clubs and I don't think they will be the the only riders making tough decisions... so again you may be correct that it may be a moot point that riders go to Poland (or anywhere else for that matter) because we may not get any speedway here and "God" (or even "Rob God-frey") I hope you are wrong too; however I believe it will make things very difficult if we do get the opportunity to go for it;  and as I stated that wont be just for riders with Polish teams; Will any Scandinavians just riding in their home leagues and here in the UK not even doing Poland want to move here to ride in the UK rather than stay and ride in their home nation as they will be in the same situation. Denmark locked their airports down two weeks before the UK and who knows when they will lift that restriction because even with the restrictions lifted there will be safety measures introduced such as two weeks self isolation... which will put a total stop to the "flitting"

So if we do get any Speedway it could be radically different from what we first expected to see.... also teams could be quite different as well... We may not see any Aussies; Kiwis or Scandinavians and in Newcastle's case a couple of eastern Europeans due to travel restrictions and there will I feel need to be some tough decisions made by all those involved.

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Yep "Sidewinder" and I don't disagree with what you are saying; its no slight on any league or how they are going to operate if they get the chance to and as I opened "Not dismissing Covid" as these are exceptional times; however the point I was trying to make was that we are hearing that the likes of Antonio Lindback; Niki Pedersen and Dan Bewley to name but a few have all flown out to Poland and are self isolating ready to race in the Polish leagues...  (could be fake news and it could have been any league not just Poland and again I ain't got no axe to grind with any other league its just the Poles have put their head above the Covid parapet first) and the way I see it is that under the current "Covid" guidelines; those three riders are committing to race in Poland and as you put it, will not be "flitting" about. Quarantine measure just make that unfeasible...

So in the case of Niki and Dan they wont be available for their British teams here due to the travel restrictions; which will provide major issues I would suggest for their UK clubs and I don't think they will be the the only riders making tough decisions... so again you may be correct that it may be a moot point that riders go to Poland (or anywhere else for that matter) because we may not get any speedway here and "God" (or even "Rob God-frey") I hope you are wrong too; however I believe it will make things very difficult if we do get the opportunity to go for it;  and as I stated that wont be just for riders with Polish teams; Will any Scandinavians just riding in their home leagues and here in the UK not even doing Poland want to move here to ride in the UK rather than stay and ride in their home nation as they will be in the same situation. Denmark locked their airports down two weeks before the UK and who knows when they will lift that restriction because even with the restrictions lifted there will be safety measures introduced such as two weeks self isolation... which will put a total stop to the "flitting"

So if we do get any Speedway it could be radically different from what we first expected to see.... also teams could be quite different as well... We may not see any Aussies; Kiwis or Scandinavians and in Newcastle's case a couple of eastern Europeans due to travel restrictions and there will I feel need to be some tough decisions made by all those involved.

Regards
THJ

Interesting situation regarding Visa riders. I think under the visa procedure, the UK club guarantees a home and a wage to the visa rider. If the rider stayed in this country during lockdown and received the benefits, could that rider jump ship and ride in say Poland. Similar case, if OZ riders who have returned to OZ, just return direct to Poland even though he could have receive benefits, is there any comeback for the visa sponsor. I think KB was going to Poland as well as he was photographed with Nicki in his new teams jackets last week. I think there was a little easement given to say riders like the fellow Danes, in order to return for the Danish leagues if and when they start again. If the DMU had not been satisfied with their riders trying to ditch the Danish League,  they are entitled to refuse "permission to ride" in Poland. That is the agreement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It’s pretty obvious that there will not be League speedway in UK this season.IMO.

Not so sure... Just had a phone call there and it wont be for the want of trying...

However things could look very different for a few months...

On the Visa situation I don't think anyone is left here (or stayed during the lock-down) who races on a visa... could be wrong... and on the contract side of things all bets will be off (I imagine) and there will be a re-issuing of contracts for any remainder of the season if it gets going... 

If and it is a huge "IF"... if things do get started it could be very interesting...

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

Just now, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Not so sure... Just had a phone call there and it wont be for the want of trying...

On the Visa situation I don't think anyone is left here (or stayed during the lock-down) who races on a visa... could be wrong... and on the contract side of things all bets will be off (I imagine) and there will be a re-issuing of contracts for any remainder of the season if it gets going... 

If and it is a huge "IF"... if things do get started it could be very interesting...

Regards
THJ

IF there is ,a major headache to find guests ,who will be riding for anybody and everybody to earn cash .Will make a mockery of the sport.It  is bad enough just now.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

IF there is ,a major headache to find guests ,who will be riding for anybody and everybody to earn cash .Will make a mockery of the sport.It  is bad enough just now.

Honestly

Totally agree and I think you are spot on here but you can't blame them for thinking about giving it a go...

Regards 

THJ 

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards
THJ

Aussie boys Zane Kelleher and Josh MacDonald have both stayed in UK during lockdown.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

There's always been loads of guests though, so two teams full of guests would hardly be a new phenomenon for Speedway...

The main purpose of the two top leagues nowadays seems to be to provide as many races as possible for the riders to earn money, rather than be taken too seriously as sporting competitions, so whatever time the sport has to run this year will need to deliver as much opportunity as possible for those who have shelled out plenty to compete..

Select v Select will still get people watching (as it often has in the past), given the desire to see some Speedway for so many..

And the riders would be grateful for the chance to ride for as many Selects as possible to earn as much as fhey can I would think..

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mikebv said:

There's always been loads of guests though, so two teams full of guests would hardly be a new phenomenon for Speedway...

The main purpose of the two top leagues nowadays seems to be to provide as many races as possible for the riders to earn money, rather than be taken too seriously as sporting competitions, so whatever time the sport has to run this year will need to deliver as much opportunity as possible for those who have shelled out plenty to compete..

Select v Select will still get people watching (as it often has in the past), given the desire to see some Speedway for so many..

And the riders would be grateful for the chance to ride for as many Selects as possible to earn as much as fhey can I would think..

Don’t disagree,but how many people will flock  these days to  see meaningless meetings if it turns out to be Select vSelect.Recent  years have seen a sharp decline at these type of meetings IMO.

• Like 1

Not wanting to throw another spanner in the works, but...

Speedway seems to be, in a way, reliant on many dedicated track staff. Will any workplace, even voluntary, need to be 'covid secure' and, would any 'disclaimers' that may have already been signed, be valid?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t disagree,but how many people will flock  these days to  see meaningless meetings if it turns out to be Select vSelect.Recent  years have seen a sharp decline at these type of meetings IMO.

100% the crowds won't be 'great' but let's face it, they aren't ever any weeks are they?

There are lots of 'meaningless meetings' each year as they underpin 'meaningless leagues'..

However, given the enforced break I do think that Select v Select would deliver 'early season bumper crowd levels' as people will be desperate to see some action (any action)..

For me, they should just run individual events at each track with each being used as qualifiers for a big end of season finale, with all promotions putting up some decent money to make up the finale prize fund, however Promoters seem to see 'their teams' as being important and having relevance, so no doubt will want to try and run some kind of team competitions, regardless of who ends up riding for all and sundry on an ad hoc basis...

And for these exceptional circumstances , the crowds might not be too fussed and go along.?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2