British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Always been known as Pepsi. My sister and I went to the same school, and he was in her class. He came from the Daisy Hill estate, but later lived on Shields Road opposite the Wolsie  Pub. 

Thanks for the reply and hope you are on the mend now.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, soupy said:

Thanks for the reply and hope you are on the mend now.

Still in lockdown unfortunately. Thanks.

10 hours ago, soupy said:

I want to know why George was called Pepsi,never new his nickname was that. I used to always chat to him as was nearly always in the Front of home meetings waiting for turnstiles to open.

Honestly 

I'm not that sure where the Monika Pepsi come from to be fair and Tsunami has gave a good response and Gavin Parr is also someone who could shed some light on it... but I remember going to the world final as a kid in 73 and he was on our bus (one bus of about eleven I think that went from Brough that year) and he was Pepsi George then and I asked why he was called that and the simple answer was he didnt drink and if he was ever asked if he wanted one his response was I'll have a Pepsi... but he still went to pubs and the club and was high up in the RAOB (I think) and done a lot for charity but he never really mentioned anything about that... however as often as he went out he wouldn't drink apparently... not sure how true that was but it sounded feasible... another genuinely nice bloke who loved his Speedway and followed the Diamonds for years and some of the pictures at the afterwards of his funeral were very interesting...

Another one sadly missed

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly 

I'm not that sure where the Monika Pepsi come from to be fair and Tsunami has gave a good response and Gavin Parr is also someone who could shed some light on it... but I remember going to the world final as a kid in 73 and he was on our bus (one bus of about eleven I think that went from Brough that year) and he was Pepsi George then and I asked why he was called that and the simple answer was he didnt drink and if he was ever asked if he wanted one his response was I'll have a Pepsi... but he still went to pubs and the club and was high up in the RAOB (I think) and done a lot for charity but he never really mentioned anything about that... however as often as he went out he wouldn't drink apparently... not sure how true that was but it sounded feasible... another genuinely nice bloke who loved his Speedway and followed the Diamonds for years and some of the pictures at the afterwards of his funeral were very interesting...

Another one sadly missed

Regards 

THJ 

Another name he got occasionally was Geordie Nut. Presumably as he was never without his wooly hat.   

• Haha 2

On 6/1/2020 at 4:47 PM, Diamondlil said:

Also nicknamed clogs for obvious reasons

Clogs, Geordie Nut and Pepsi is a lot better than 'who yee'. 

3 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Clogs, Geordie Nut and Pepsi is a lot better than 'who yee'. 

To be totally fair Dave, George would have answered to anything cos he just enjoyed the craic , he wasn't proud and could talk about anything to anyone no problem... didn't have a bad bone as the saying goes...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1

Here is a smile for Friday and a true story... (Cough Cough)

The world's leading expert on European wasps walks into a record shop.

He asks the assistant “Do you have ‘European Vespidae Acoustics Volume 2? I believe it was released this week.”

“Certainly,” replies the assistant. “Would you like to listen before you buy it?”

"Oh… That would be wonderful," says the expert, and puts on a pair of headphones.

He listens for a few moments and says to the assistant, “I'm terribly sorry, but I am the world's leading expert on European wasps and this is not accurate at all. I don't recognise any of those sounds. Are you sure this is the correct recording?”

The assistant checks the turntable, and replies that it is indeed European Vespidae Acoustics Volume 2. The assistant apologises and lifts the needle onto the next track.

Again the expert listens for a few moments and then says to the assistant, "No, this just can't be right! I've been an expert in this field for 43 years and I still don't recognise any of these sounds."

The assistant apologises again and lifts the needle to the next track.

The expert throws off the headphones as soon as it starts playing and is fuming with rage. 

"This is outrageous false advertising"!

"I am the world's leading expert on European wasps and no European wasp has ever made a sound like the ones on this record!"

The manager of the shop overhears the commotion and walks over.

"What seems to be the problem, sir?"

"This is an outrage! I am the world's leading expert on European wasps. Nobody knows more about them than I do. There is no way in hell that the sounds on that record were made by European wasps!"

The manager glances down and notices the problem instantly.

"I'm terribly sorry, sir. It appears we've been playing you the bee side."

Boom Boom... Bee Side Ha Ha... get it?

Oh never mind have a nice weekend Stay Well and Stay Safe

Regards
THJ

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

i am sure that bee recording was a double A sided copy .

On 6/5/2020 at 10:08 PM, jenga said:

i am sure that bee recording was a double A sided copy .

'One day,,, there was an Englishman, Jenga and a Scotsman',,, ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond

On 6/5/2020 at 4:51 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Here is a smile for Friday and a true story... (Cough Cough)

The world's leading expert on European wasps walks into a record shop.

He asks the assistant “Do you have ‘European Vespidae Acoustics Volume 2? I believe it was released this week.”

“Certainly,” replies the assistant. “Would you like to listen before you buy it?”

"Oh… That would be wonderful," says the expert, and puts on a pair of headphones.

He listens for a few moments and says to the assistant, “I'm terribly sorry, but I am the world's leading expert on European wasps and this is not accurate at all. I don't recognise any of those sounds. Are you sure this is the correct recording?”

The assistant checks the turntable, and replies that it is indeed European Vespidae Acoustics Volume 2. The assistant apologises and lifts the needle onto the next track.

Again the expert listens for a few moments and then says to the assistant, "No, this just can't be right! I've been an expert in this field for 43 years and I still don't recognise any of these sounds."

The assistant apologises again and lifts the needle to the next track.

The expert throws off the headphones as soon as it starts playing and is fuming with rage. 

"This is outrageous false advertising"!

"I am the world's leading expert on European wasps and no European wasp has ever made a sound like the ones on this record!"

The manager of the shop overhears the commotion and walks over.

"What seems to be the problem, sir?"

"This is an outrage! I am the world's leading expert on European wasps. Nobody knows more about them than I do. There is no way in hell that the sounds on that record were made by European wasps!"

The manager glances down and notices the problem instantly.

"I'm terribly sorry, sir. It appears we've been playing you the bee side."

Boom Boom... Bee Side Ha Ha... get it?

Oh never mind have a nice weekend Stay Well and Stay Safe

Regards
THJ

Few tracks from Sting on that album I bet. :approve:

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, diamond@heart said:

And B Bumble and the Stingers( Nut Rocker )  :D

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 9:19 PM, ruffdiamond said:

'One day,,, there was an Englishman, Jenga and a Scotsman',,, ;)

And that's the end of the Joke as all three of them were idiots!!!

On 6/6/2020 at 11:15 PM, diamond@heart said:

Oh Dear and someone said my jokes were bad... Boom Boom... :D

On 6/7/2020 at 12:05 AM, Tsunami said:

And B Bumble and the Stingers( Nut Rocker )  :D

Now Dave this is a big give away mind it got to Number 1 in 1962 and I can just see you at the "Club a GoGo" on Percy Street or even the "Majestic" on Clayton Street wearing your "Crepe Soled Brothel Creepers" best Teddy Boy "Drape" jacket on; drain pipe trousers and hair "Brylcreemed" back forming the perfect DA (that's a ducks bottom for the under 95's) and probably the oldest rocker in the queue (apart from Elvis) (Tartan Campbell) (who would have still been a boy then) LOL....

Bee Bumble and the Stingers LMAO.... and for all those under 129 years of age here we go children.... All the best from Rockabilly Tsunami...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Now Dave this is a big give away mind it got to Number 1 in 1962 and I can just see you at the "Club a GoGo" on Percy Street or even the "Majestic" on Clayton Street wearing your "Crepe Soled Brothel Creepers" best Teddy Boy "Drape" jacket on; drain pipe trousers and hair "Brylcreemed" back forming the perfect DA (that's a ducks bottom for the under 95's) and probably the oldest rocker in the queue (apart from Elvis) (Tartan Campbell) (who would have still been a boy then) LOL....

Bee Bumble and the Stingers LMAO.... and for all those under 129 years of age here we go children.... All the best from Rockabilly Tsunami...

Regards
THJ

I remember that tune in our house, we even made it into a football song, the record will still be around somewhere :t:

Playing the piano on the mantelpiece,  excellent. 

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards
THJ

I first heard it downstairs in the basement of Windows in the TOON. My mate Rig loved the record, and we got to play it at the Clarence Street Mission, Shieldfield during the Speedway Supporters Club night. Happy days them. 

• Like 1