British Speedway Forum

49 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I first heard it downstairs in the basement of Windows in the TOON. My mate Rig loved the record, and we got to play it at the Clarence Street Mission, Shieldfield during the Speedway Supporters Club night. Happy days them. 

Honestly

My Granddad used to work at and help run the Clarence Street Mission between the wars and he used to do the "Magic Lantern Show" would you believe...

He was Shieldfield born and bread...

He had a stable at Back Stephen Street behind the Cumberland Arms which took a direct hit the same night the Appollo got bombed... 100 Chickens in the yard and they couldn't find a feather...

Small world...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Track will be well grippy tonight with all the rain we have had and could be bucking broncos, hang on and get in the muck...

Honestly

I should have been n Prague last week watching a GP but that didn't happen obviously so I had a drunken weekend from the Thursday to the Monday (well I had booked the time off before Christmas) and as this week has been a bit of a write off I am blowing it off tomorrow as well... Two more stone on in lock down... you just don't realise how many calories there are in Beer, Wine and Spirits... Doh!!! oh and carry outs... honestly who wants to cook when stodge (curry (Indian not Chinese as they started this carry on) pizza chips kebabs) is this cheap and delivered to the door?

So as I was missing last week here are some lighter notes to hopefully make you smile in eternal lock down...

A ship wrecks onto a deserted island.

Two guys and a girl survive. Since they don't have anything to do all day besides eating and sleeping, they just have sex. Eventually the girl gets sick and dies. The two men don't know what to do with themselves anymore, so they keep having sex.

After a few days of sex, they feel guilty about what they've been doing... so they bury her.

A guy goes to a psychiatrist.

"Doc, I keep having these alternating recurring dreams. First I'm a tepee, then I'm a wigwam, then I'm a tepee, then I'm a wigwam. It's driving me crazy. What's wrong with me?"

The doctor replies, "It's very simple. You're two tents."

A moth goes to a physiotherapist

I am so tense I am over thinking everything I do; I am in a total quandary

The Physio say’s “you need a psychiatrist mate I’m a physiotherapist what you come in here for”

The moth said “you were the only one with a light on”

A physicist, an engineer, and a mathematician are all locked in separate burning buildings.

The physicist runs to a chalkboard, calculates exactly how much water he will need to put out the fire, runs and finds that amount, puts out the fire, and survives. The engineer pulls out a calculator, calculates exactly how much water he will need to put out the fire, runs and finds 10 times that amount, puts out the fire, and survives.

The mathematician runs to a chalkboard, calculates exactly how much water he will need to put out the fire, declares, "There IS a solution!", and then burns to death.

Boom Boom

Stay Safe; Stay Well and here's hoping if we do get some Speedway all your home meetings are 49-41 and all you away meetings are 44-46...

By the way staying on a Speedway note I have really enjoyed the Rewind/Rerun meetings on the various platforms and it just shows (to me anyway) how well suited Speedway is to being televised; I watched that Man City/Arsenal match last night and it was awful with no crowd the atmosphere was "crepe" even when you don't see the crowd on the TV the noise of the bikes builds on the entertainment; Footballers (even well paid ones) shouting "Over here mate" and "Pass the ball" just doesn't do it for me. Pity Speedway couldn't get a better buy in from terrestrial television because crowd or no crowd it doesn't take away from the entertainment (for me anyway)... Just a thought...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling,
  • Like 4

Well as we all know that when the government reduce the 2 mtr lockdown to 1 & allow social events to reopen etc from independence day I wonder if we will hear the bikes at nrough

Edited by pienpeesman
Spelling error

12 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

Well as we all know that when the government reduce the 2 mtr lockdown to 1 & allow social events to reopen etc from independence day I wonder if we will hear the bikes at nrough

Even diamond fans are referring it as rough park :o

7 hours ago, Neila said:

Even diamond fans are referring it as rough park :o

Yeah the car park could do with a covering of new tarmac

2 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

Yeah the car park could do with a covering of new tarmac

did it ever have any tarmac onnit ?

17 hours ago, jenga said:

Many moons ago.

Edited by soupy

17 hours ago, jenga said:

One day !! Long before you were a twinkle in the EYE.. I guess

15 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

we were all a twinkle in someones EYE at one time . better the devil you know , than the devil you dont :mad:

19 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

Honestly 

I can remember a big refurbishment late 60s early 70s two stands... parking both sides of the stadium... fantastic facilities for food and drink...  healthy four figure speedway crowds and the same for the Greyhound racing 14 to 16 bookies for the dogs with tic tac men both sides flashing the odds for the dogs across the track... a massive tote board that we used to stand under on bends 3 and 4 until one wet Monday night and I went home with my good clobber caked (probably my school gear) with wet shale and got a clip round the lug for coming home in such a mess... which resulted in me moving round to the starting tapes as you didn't want a second right hook of my old peg that's for sure... what I would give for a clip round the ear off the old girl now... miss her to bits...

Happy days...

Regards 

THJ 

Place is looking tired now though... not unlike many stadia around today...

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Edited for accuracy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly 

I can remember a big refurbishment late 60s early 70s two stands... parking both sides of the stadium... fantastic facilities for food and drink...  healthy four figure speedway crowds and the same for the Greyhound racing 14 to 16 bookies for the dogs with tic tac men both sides flashing the odds for the dogs across the track... a massive tote board that we used to stand under on bends 3 and 4 until one wet Monday night and I went home with my good clobber caked (probably my school gear) with wet shale and got a clip round the lug for coming home in such a mess... which resulted in me moving round to the starting tapes as you didn't want a second right hook of my old peg that's for sure... what I would give for a clip round the ear off the old girl now... miss her to bits...

Happy days...

Regards 

THJ 

Place is looking tired now though... not unlike many stadia around today...

Echo those thoughts THJ. Late 70s, early 80s, Brough was a quality venue, from a spectator viewpoint. Good for food and drink as you have said and very comfortable for viewing. Now, a lack of investment is showing. When I was there for the KO Cup Final, it looked rough around the edges and a bit worn and second hand to be honest. Nothing like in its halcyon days. So sad.

• Like 2

THE 11th instalment of 'Brummies in Your Living Room' will go live on Wednesday night (June 24, 7.30).

In association with ReRun Productions, the latest fixture coming your way sees Birmingham and Newcastle battle it out in a cracking contest at Perry Barr from 2008.

The link to view the meeting will be posted on the club's Website, Twitter, Instagram (bio) and Facebook pages at 7.30 - and the action from Perry Barr will again be streamed into your living rooms.

Note: Supporters will only be able to view the meeting by clicking on the links directly or by typing the link details precisely into their SmartTV internet browser.

• Thanks 1