British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

You haven't got any Austrian heritage in your family by any chance have you...

Josef Fritzl not an uncle or cousin or something? Just askin like... ya parenting skills may be lacking somewhat!!!

Locking up ones children is not the done thing these days gazzac...

Oh and there are only 178 days to Christmas... Yeah... 

Regards
THJ

Changing the subject. You  took a mate to North Shields quay for fish and chips to Oceans but it changed hands September 2019 and is now called The Plaice but best to avoid.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, soupy said:

Changing the subject. You  took a mate to North Shields quay for fish and chips to Oceans but it changed hands September 2019 and is now called The Plaice but best to avoid.

Honestly

Me little pal from Workington has been through the mill one way and another lately and we still haven't been down to Shields yet for those fish and chips so I am open to sugestions... once we get a meeting to go to that is...

Regards

THJ 

• Like 1

So here goes...

How attached are we to Brough Park...

I have heard through some racing colleagues at High Gosforth Park that the dogs are contemplating running televised Sunday dog meetings at Brough Park to be beamed nationally into the high street bookies... now depending on what time these meetings run 11:00 to 14:00 hours; 12:00 to 15:00 hours or 13:00 to 16:00 hours depending on the bookies requirements this could have a major impact on the speedway...

The track prep happens on a Sunday and they need all the time they can get... What will happen to the Gems and Sapphires as I believe they were going to be run before the main meeting... they would be looking very doubtful and would possibly need another venue... if we have bad weather the night before the "call offs" would be very early... As the dogs bring in much more revenue than the speedway it makes things very difficult for Rob as its all about cash these day... we have run in the past on a shared Sunday with the dogs but I believe it will be very difficult...

So if Rob Grant was to come up with another venue how much of an issue would this be for people to move?

Regards
THJ

17 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

So here goes...

I have heard through some racing colleagues at High Gosforth Park that the dogs are contemplating running televised Sunday dog meetings at Brough Park to be beamed nationally into the high street bookies... now depending on what time these meetings run 11:00 to 14:00 hours; 12:00 to 15:00 hours or 13:00 to 16:00 hours depending on the bookies requirements this could have a major impact on the speedway...

The track prep happens on a Sunday and they need all the time they can get... What will happen to the Gems and Sapphires as I believe they were going to be run before the main meeting... they would be looking very doubtful and would possibly need another venue... if we have bad weather the night before the "call offs" would be very early... As the dogs bring in much more revenue than the speedway it makes things very difficult for Rob as its all about cash these day... we have run in the past on a shared Sunday with the dogs but I believe it will be very difficult...

So if Rob Grant was to come up with another venue how much of an issue would this be for people to move?

Regards
THJ

Hi John hope you're well, would it be possible to track share with redcar?  Or would the fans of both clubs put up with that idea.  Not sure but if it saves one more club that's good for speedway? What do you think? 

4 minutes ago, Crabba59 said:

Hi John hope you're well, would it be possible to track share with redcar?  Or would the fans of both clubs put up with that idea.  Not sure but if it saves one more club that's good for speedway? What do you think? 

Almost 40 miles for home meetings? Very doubtful.

• Like 1

Just now, foamfence said:

Almost 40 miles for home meetings? Very doubtful.

Ok thanks was not sure of the distance it was just a idea?

46 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

So here goes...

Regards
THJ

If the dogs were to run on a Sunday, would that free up any other nights for speedway?

50 minutes ago, Crabba59 said:

Think foamfence is spot on with his reply... it's just that bit to far for the non diehards... if a new venue is needed the track would need to be 5 to 10 mile of where its at now I would say...

23 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

If the dogs were to run on a Sunday, would that free up any other nights for speedway?

No I was told the Sunday is in addition to what they already run... it's not instead of another day unfortunately...

Regards 

THJ 

18 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Think foamfence is spot on with his reply... it's just that bit to far for the non diehards... if a new venue is needed the track would need to be 5 to 10 mile of where its at now I would say...

No I was told the Sunday is in addition to what they already run... it's not instead of another day unfortunately...

Regards 

THJ 

Ok, maybe something to think about, but agree with the other guy,,,, Redcar no way.

BTW,,, its pleasing to see that some think that running televised greyhound meetings on a Sunday is gonna work, especially after this corona carry-on. 

Edited by ruffdiamond

6 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Ok, maybe something to think about, but agree with the other guy,,,, Redcar no way.

BTW,,, its pleasing to see that some think that running televised greyhound meetings on a Sunday is gonna work, especially after this corona carry-on. 

They are doing it because of the Covid carry on...they have lost revenue with the lock down... the bookies can't offer the volume of gambling opportuinities so this allows the gamblers (not only in this country but around the world) to get their fix... plus an empty stadium running televised dogs brings in more for the owners than the speedway rental...

Feel sorry for Rob Grant as it's another kick in the nuts for him if they do go down this route...

Regards 

THJ 

If it was a choice between Redcar and no speedway, I would go to Redcar.How long would it take to build a new track and I would do 20 miles around current track.

4 hours ago, soupy said:

If it was a choice between Redcar and no speedway, I would go to Redcar.How long would it take to build a new track and I would do 20 miles around current track.

Not sure how long it would take to pull a Redcar or Scunthorpe type set up together... May be someone from those spots could throw some light on that... I would have thought it would be achievable to sort something basic out in a close season over a winter...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

They are doing it because of the Covid carry on...they have lost revenue with the lock down... the bookies can't offer the volume of gambling opportuinities so this allows the gamblers (not only in this country but around the world) to get their fix... plus an empty stadium running televised dogs brings in more for the owners than the speedway rental...

Feel sorry for Rob Grant as it's another kick in the nuts for him if they do go down this route...

Regards 

THJ 

A get that the bookies can bring in more money, but I was thinking that not many would be bothered about gambling after the carry-on, (a bit naive maybe).

10 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Not sure how long it would take to pull a Redcar or Scunthorpe type set up together... May be someone from those spots could through some light on that... I would have thought it would be achievable to sort something basic out in a close season over a winter...

Regards 

THJ 

I don't know if another venue would be available and, at what cost. It's just a shame that money saved this season by fans, couldn't be somehow be put into a fund to source a new venue?

I would put my money saved this season into next season. 

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

A get that the bookies can bring in more money, but I was thinking that not many would be bothered about gambling after the carry-on, (a bit naive maybe).

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

I don't know if another venue would be available and, at what cost. It's just a shame that money saved this season by fans, couldn't be somehow be put into a fund to source a new venue?

I would put my money saved this season into next season. 

Gambling has taken off now there is something to watch...

Like what you are proposing and I don't know what backing or clout Rob has but I would be happy to follow your lead on investing a few Bob into a new venue...

Get on that Google thing and look at the Cambois dog track at Blyth... now a know Blyth is nearly Berwick to the townies like Tsunami but it looks half way there for development to me...

Just a thought...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Missed out word