British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Gambling has taken off now there is something to watch...

Like what you are proposing and I don't know what backing or clout Rob has but I would be happy to follow your lead on investing a few Bob into a new venue...

Get on that Google thing and look at the Cambois dog track at Blyth... now a know Blyth is nearly Berwick to the townies like Tsunami but it looks half way there for development to me...

Just a thought...

Regards 

THJ 

Am not sure if that place has been on the radar for a while now. Am sure some our sponsors are up that way. Its probly not easily accessible for fans reliant on public transport tho.

20 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Am not sure if that place has been on the radar for a while now. Am sure some our sponsors are up that way. Its probly not easily accessible for fans reliant on public transport tho.

Aye since the horse that delivered the milk has died the public transport stopped running as well.. a would say if you didn't have transport it will be an awkward spot to get to...

Regards 

THJ 

Unfortunately in this climate,  even without that virus, it would be near impossible to build a new track imo, too many people to complain about noise, dust, disturbance etc and just complaining because they can.

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Gambling has taken off now there is something to watch...

Like what you are proposing and I don't know what backing or clout Rob has but I would be happy to follow your lead on investing a few Bob into a new venue...

Get on that Google thing and look at the Cambois dog track at Blyth... now a know Blyth is nearly Berwick to the townies like Tsunami but it looks half way there for development to me...

Just a thought...

Regards 

THJ 

Is that the 'townie like Tsunami' who left the TOON exactly 50 years ago, and now lives in Whitley Bay which is as near to Blyth as Brough. There are people linked to Cambois for a possible future track.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Me little pal from Workington has been through the mill one way and another lately and we still haven't been down to Shields yet for those fish and chips so I am open to sugestions... once we get a meeting to go to that is...

Regards

THJ 

Plenty wet stuff

5 hours ago, foamfence said:

Almost 40 miles for home meetings? Very doubtful.

Especially in the current situation.. #covid19

24 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Is that the 'townie like Tsunami' who left the TOON exactly 50 years ago, and now lives in Whitley Bay which is as near to Blyth as Brough. There are people linked to Cambois for a possible future track.

Dave ya still a townie at heart... you've just climbed off the sofa to fold ya Newcastle top up and put it away for the night after watching ya team win 4 1.... and now sitting reading this with your NUFC jimjams on and drinking ya horlics...  and it's still north of where you are at... but you know what I mean...

See Mal has just finished his shift...

Regards 

THJ 

• Haha 1

Thing is is if we did go up the coast to Blyth would we have a name change... the Blyth Bombers or Baracudas or the Cambois Crusaders or Corinthians... or worse still the South Berwick Sodomites mmmmmmmlollololmmmm if ya know what a mean...

Regards 

THJ 

A new venue was looked for years ago and they couldn't find anywhere near(ish) to Brough. Tsunami could tell us all about that!  Cambois was looked into, but I can't remember why that was knocked on the head.

It's not only finding a place to build a track, there is these days an insurmountable amount of Red Tape to plough through.  Exeter springs to mind and they've been looking since 2005 (there are others who have found a place and then got no further, despite all the positive display of public announcements). 

Oh and as a P.S. Would the BSPA allow a track share?  Bearing in mind Cradley and the like have been told they can't run while sharing a track?

Edited by StevePark

28 minutes ago, StevePark said:

A new venue was looked for years ago and they couldn't find anywhere near(ish) to Brough. Tsunami could tell us all about that!  Cambois was looked into, but I can't remember why that was knocked on the head.

It's not only finding a place to build a track, there is these days an insurmountable amount of Red Tape to plough through.  Exeter springs to mind and they've been looking since 2005 (there are others who have found a place and then got no further, despite all the positive display of public announcements). 

Oh and as a P.S. Would the BSPA allow a track share?  Bearing in mind Cradley and the like have been told they can't run while sharing a track?

Chatting to Daryl Illingworth the other day and he said that the club had been offered a spot by North Tyneside council down by the Tyne Tunnel around 2010 but they did not have the funds or the wherewithal to take the offer up at the time so it was never acted upon...

Think Cambois is just a tad to far north of the city and the public transport links are not very reliable; also what would be the back straight runs parallel to the railway line thus not giving any room for back straight viewing if the current dog track was to remain... its an ideal spot being out of the way and of a size that would suit a good track set up plus it is now just training track for the Greyhounds and no longer licensed for dog racing, however logistically it just falls a bit short... If that set up was in say Wallsend or North Shields it would be ideal... (but not Whitley Bay cos they are a bit "snobby" down there; Tsunami could tell us all about that! )...

On the track share I think you would/could possibly get a special dispensation for a year if it was to allow for another facility to be built but I doubt you would get the sharing facility long term and to be fair I think it would be financial suicide even if like Cradley you shared with a team in a different league...

If it does end up that the club are evicted to make room for Sunday dog racing or if the proposed racing restricts the track access time for preparation to short making a meeting impossible then where do you go is the burning question... there are not that many sites in excess of 10 to 12 acres not to close to housing where you would get complaints and where would the funds come from to build such a set up...  

Sites that readily spring to mind north of the river are Cramlington around the Nelson and Bassington Trading Estates; Barrington Trading Estate just outside Bedlington; the Tyne Tunnel approach road not far from the Tyne Tunnel Trading Estate and East Howden then out on the A69 by the Throckley Brick Works site and from there out towards Heddon all of which are away from housing and have enough land to fit a Redcar or Scunthorpe type of set up....

Then of course there is the other problem you mention in all the red tape and the big one which is where does the cash come from to fund the new venture...

Doesn't make it easy does it...

Regards
THJ

I tried for Follingsby Park in 1996, talking to I think Bernard Thorpe Agents? in Jesmond. I knew they had a redundant shale pit heap at the very back of their main site beside Wardley, but not interested and I think they went on to develop it in keeping with the usual trades and activities. BTW, the interest in Cambois is not the dog track. :o

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I tried for Follingsby Park in 1996, talking to I think Ian Thorpe Agents? in Jesmond. I knew they had a redundant shale pit heap at the very back of their main site beside Wardley, but not interested and I think they went on to develop it in keeping with the usual trades and activities. BTW, the interest in Cambois is not the dog track. :o

Is it by the MX track?

38 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I tried for Follingsby Park in 1996, talking to I think Ian Thorpe Agents? in Jesmond. I knew they had a redundant shale pit heap at the very back of their main site beside Wardley, but not interested and I think they went on to develop it in keeping with the usual trades and activities. BTW, the interest in Cambois is not the dog track. :o

To be fair Dave I don't know when, where or what was looked at in Cambois... I came across the dog track by accident and floated the idea on here... its a cracking site just in the wrong place... but one thing is for sure as Steve Park said it won't be easy getting a suitable site and the relevant permissions to develop it... I just hope the dogs don't go down the route of running Sunday meetings because it will make everything Rob is trying to achieve all that more difficult... 

Regards

THJ 

• Sad 1

Just been looking on Google earth at the cambois track and it seems to be about 100 yds from North Sea so should be lovely and warm all season long :rofl::rofl:

• Haha 1

Would any new venue be close to Brough?,,, would any new venue have good public transport links and, how many of the usual crowd use public transport or walk to Brough?,,, Surely there will be some that live local to Brough, but am sure many regulars will travel from further afield?

• Like 1