British Speedway Forum

23 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Aye since the horse that delivered the milk has died the public transport stopped running as well.. a would say if you didn't have transport it will be an awkward spot to get to...

Regards 

THJ 

Do the coal trans sri run that line lol

13 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Would any new venue be close to Brough?,,, would any new venue have good public transport links and, how many of the usual crowd use public transport or walk to Brough?,,, Surely there will be some that live local to Brough, but am sure many regulars will travel from further afield?

There's an area at the bottom of the Fossway to the right of the bottom roundabout,  I think it has horses on it.  I wonder if that is big enough or/and not on the councils development plan.

Secondly, what about the possibility of some of the derelict land that had a Parsons factory building on, and is just lying there with rubble on it. WE considered that for the training school at one time.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

There's an area at the bottom of the Fossway to the right of the bottom roundabout,  I think it has horses on it.  I wonder if that is big enough or/and not on the councils development plan.

Secondly, what about the possibility of some of the derelict land that had a Parsons factory building on, and is just lying there with rubble on it. WE considered that for the training school at one time.

Vast majority of land that appears derelict is normally owned by the big house builders and they sit on it, it would be tough trying to get any land near Brough. Even if land was available the nimbys will scupper any chance of a speedway track being put on it. The club would have to move future out of the city and into less built up areas.

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

It would be very handy for me at & dean at the bottom of the fossway.. but the fella who owns it will never sell as he makes an absolute mint off it the stables !! So let's hope rob has a good plan in the very big pipeline...

Is this Sunday dogs racing definitely happening or is it just my mate heard it off a mate who works at the stadium sort of thing... 

43 minutes ago, andys said:

Is this Sunday dogs racing definitely happening or is it just my mate heard it off a mate who works at the stadium sort of thing... 

It's been proposed... and the dog racing piped into the bookies is worth more cash to the owners of the stadium than the Speedway... although they don't have to take up the option it's would seem daft for them to turn down the revenue...

Also it needs mentioning that there has been Sunday dogs and Speedway run in the past so it can be done... however Rob wants to run junior sides in the Saphires and the Gems and having a dog meeting on a Sunday will severely impinge on his vision and what he is trying to achieve 

So a Sunday dog meeting doesn't mean that the Speedway is on the verge of being evicted... however it would put obstacles in the way for a multitude of reasons...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1

i have it on very good authority that if the speedway cant run on a sunday the speedway will not be moving from the venue of brough park 
but will change race nights and league to premier racing on a monday night .the premiers ship is not the way forward its this or the 
speedway will close.

Edited by lady s 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, lady s 2 said:

i have it on very good authority that if the speedway cant run on a sunday the speedway will not be moving from the venue of brough park 
but will change race nights and league to premier racing on a monday night .the premiers ship is not the way forward its this or the 
speedway will close.

Hmm so Newcy are rolling in money are they?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, foamfence said:

Hmm so Newcy are rolling in money are they?

that I don't know you would have to ask the owner

Does anyone know if the dog track in Birtley behind Drum Industrial Estate is still open? Only passed it once years ago. Always thought it was in a good place, think the railway was behind it and not many houses around, but there probably is now. Just curious. 

Are you related to jenga? :oops:

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Biffa said:

Does anyone know if the dog track in Birtley behind Drum Industrial Estate is still open? Only passed it once years ago. Always thought it was in a good place, think the railway was behind it and not many houses around, but there probably is now. Just curious. 

I presume you mean Pelaw Grange, in which case, there are enough houses surrounding it to stop speedway being raced there IMO.

Honestly

I remember a few years back George English saying he had no loyalty to Brough Park and would move venues in the "change of a heartbeat" if the promotion at the time could get a suitable place to go to; but for whatever the reasons it never happened...

It just shows the difficulty of finding a new venue should something untoward happen to the place we call home currently...

Don't envy Rob Grants task in the slightest; he is coming up with good ideas to promote the sport in the area and wants to run junior sides and give the opportunity for practice which could all be stymied by a virus of all things...

Also if what Lady s 2 states is correct and there is a potential for a move back to the old Monday night racing then brilliant bring it on if Sundays become difficult to run on; I would certainly be happy to support that, although I am not sure about everyone else's opinion on Mondays as I believe the earlier Sunday time was to benefit the adults who brought kids to the speedway and the later Monday times impinge on that especially being a school day... Although the good thing is it does mean there are other options...

Regards
THJ

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

I remember a few years back George English saying he had no loyalty to Brough Park and would move venues in the "change of a heartbeat" if the promotion at the time could get a suitable place to go to; but for whatever the reasons it never happened...

It just shows the difficulty of finding a new venue should something untoward happen to the place we call home currently...

Don't envy Rob Grants task in the slightest; he is coming up with good ideas to promote the sport in the area and wants to run junior sides and give the opportunity for practice which could all be stymied by a virus of all things...

Also if what Lady s 2 states is correct and there is a potential for a move back to the old Monday night racing then brilliant bring it on if Sundays become difficult to run on; I would certainly be happy to support that, although I am not sure about everyone else's opinion on Mondays as I believe the earlier Sunday time was to benefit the adults who brought kids to the speedway and the later Monday times impinge on that especially being a school day... Although the good thing is it does mean there are other options...

Regards
THJ

The only negative that I can think of for switching back to a Monday is it would mean a 7.30pm start (except on Bank Holidays possibly) and would mean no Double Headers which could kibosh the Gems (depending on the total number of fixtures needed for both teams of course)

• Like 2