British Speedway Forum

21 hours ago, screm said:

I agree he has done his bit for Newcastle Speedway over the years but why single him out? In over 40 years of attending why not mention others who have done a lot ( if not more ) to keep Newcastle Speedway going ..

Yes maybe his money input has helped but he did disappear off the scene and away from the speedway for a number of years(though he was still having an input) .. How often do you see him at an away meeting ? 

So yes maybe he deserves a mention but I can think of a lot more who do so also . 

Edited by KEITH M
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KEITH M said:

I agree he has done his bit for Newcastle Speedway over the years but why single him out? In over 40 years of attending why not mention others who have done a lot ( if not more ) to keep Newcastle Speedway going ..

Yes maybe his money input has helped but he did disappear off the scene and away from the speedway for a number of years(though he was still having an input) .. How often do you see him at an away meeting ? 

So yes maybe he deserves a mention but I can think of a lot more who do so also . 

It looks to me that it is more Rob Grant thanking him for his help in getting things done last winter to help him save the Club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KEITH M said:

Have to have my twopenneth here Keith!

Had it not been for Dalbers, the Diamonds wouldn't be still running, it would have closed down years ago, thanks to his financial input.

As far as away meeting attendance goes, as you know he works at both Newcastle and Sunderland Dogs, so making it to away meetings is virtually impossible, but he was a frequent visitor to away tracks, especially between the mid-late 90's to mid 2010's, and I should know because I travelled with him most of the time.  He and I (and sometimes Dave Fraser) were the only Gems fans at the away meetings with them quite often.

I agree others also deserve a mention, but to say "he's done his bit" is, in my opinion, a massive understatement and no I'm "not just saying that, because he's a very good friend."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Have to have my twopenneth here Keith!

Had it not been for Dalbers, the Diamonds wouldn't be still running, it would have closed down years ago, thanks to his financial input.

As far as away meeting attendance goes, as you know he works at both Newcastle and Sunderland Dogs, so making it to away meetings is virtually impossible, but he was a frequent visitor to away tracks, especially between the mid-late 90's to mid 2010's, and I should know because I travelled with him most of the time.  He and I (and sometimes Dave Fraser) were the only Gems fans at the away meetings with them quite often.

I agree others also deserve a mention, but to say "he's done his bit" is, in my opinion, a massive understatement and no I'm "not just saying that, because he's a very good friend."

Not disagreeing with you Steve and yes I agree that Andrew’s cash has probably helped keep the speedway going at certain times, I just thought to single one person out for praise was in my opinion not correct as how many others  over the years have went out looking for sponsorship, worked in all weathers at the track over many  winters , held supporters functions etc.. Did that not help keep the speedway open aswell ? 

• Like 1

Honestly

I agree wholeheartedly with Steve Park... Dalbers is one of life's good guys... honourable... genuine and consistent and it's great that the new promotion have recognised his efforts for the Diamonds...

Yes others have done good work over the years however even when he was dumped on by one or two others he consistently stood up to be counted he consistently backed the team and his absence although self imposed was due to him not being treat with much respect by a couple of previous promoters who still had the audacity to hold their hands out for his cash as a fellow promoter... and he never once complained or ducked his obligations or responsibilities... 

Great guy... oh hang on he does have one skeleton in his cupboard....

He's a closet Makem... I know... I've outed him now and it's embarrassing (very embarrassing) but we can surely allow him this one guilty pleasure after all he has done for the Diamonds..

Well done Andy... keep it up and well done to the current promotion for recognising the support provided over the years... well deserved credit...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, KEITH M said:

Not disagreeing with you Steve and yes I agree that Andrew’s cash has probably helped keep the speedway going at certain times, I just thought to single one person out for praise was in my opinion not correct as how many others  over the years have went out looking for sponsorship, worked in all weathers at the track over many  winters , held supporters functions etc.. Did that not help keep the speedway open aswell ? 

I think you are being too singular. Everyone is important at Brough for there to be any speedway. But it has got to be accepted that the roles of some people are more important and essential for the sport to be sustained. If you or I stopped going to Brough, it would still continue. If the likes of Dalbers did, there would be NO SPEEDWAY.  If it hadn't been for Me, George and Peter, there would have been no Speedway as from 1997.   

Dalbers has always been behind Newcastle Speedway for a long time, and still contributed financially even during his short self imposed exile due to differences with a Promoter.  As can be seen from THJ's post, he was of great assistance to Rob during the takeover and still remains to continue to help Newcastle Speedway,

• Like 3

On 8/20/2020 at 10:54 AM, Cambasdiamond said:

Dave is this not the mayor's award that you and I and a few others received  for work done at Newcastle  speedway  

Yes it is the reward system to recognise certain peoples extra contribution as you know. I think Keith is thinking that we should give everyone that walks through the gate, a medal which is not realistic or reasonable. There will always be those whose contributions are more valuable to keep speedway running and the Lord Mayors award was for that purpose.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, screm said:

Hopefully Newcastle can manage to remain at Brough Park for a season or two, to allow enough time for a suitable site to be found, planning permission obtained and the necessary ground and stadium work done to move from Brough without any interruption to continuous Speedway?

I fear for any Club that is a tenant, especially of dog stadiums, who can live off of a betting levy with no fans with speedway fans considered a risk to that income if it stopped by a close down due to Covid being bought in by a speedway fan.

Worrying times. Brummies very much in the same boat. We need an effective vaccine 

Makes sense to plan a move away from Greyhound tracks..

No long term growth plan (no matter how good), will be delivered if you are relying on the sport of greyhound racing to provide you ongoing with their facilities to use..

• Like 3

I've always though High Flatworth in Howdon would be great but that's North Tyneside. So many built up areas though

14 hours ago, ch958 said:

I've always though High Flatworth in Howdon would be great but that's North Tyneside. So many built up areas though

The ex Seimens land on the opposite side of the Fossway, would be the ideal alternative if it was big enough to build a decent track.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

The ex Seimens land on the opposite side of the Fossway, would be the ideal alternative if it was big enough to build a decent track.

Looks big enough Dave. 

• Like 1