British Speedway Forum

7 minutes ago, andys said:

Does anyone know the legislation for getting a new noise licence, if it was on a brown field site ie industrial would that help get one? 

there is the scope for piling earth up around the circuit which isn't there at Brough, would help with noise

8 minutes ago, ch958 said:

there is the scope for piling earth up around the circuit which isn't there at Brough, would help with noise

Do you mean, like make a bowl something like what's at Milton Keynes?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NSSG said:

News on our brand new 50/50 draw! 

Great,  how do I join, as am not facebooky or twittery, any help would be welcomed and will it be BSF friendly? Thanks. :t:

On 9/11/2020 at 6:49 PM, andys said:

Apparently he's talking to Newcastle, Gateshead and North tyneside Councils about getting land on a long term lease, he knows the financial costs of it all, and says an out of town site is preferable due to the problems with noise. Rob Godfrey is advising him on things due to the success of scunthorpe stadium. 

On 9/12/2020 at 1:10 PM, ch958 said:

trouble is you have to go a long way from Newcastle town to find isolated areas. The thing about the Seimens land over the road is its just a few hundred yards from Brough so if you're getting disturbed by noise now, it'll be more or less the same.

On 9/12/2020 at 2:20 PM, andys said:

Does anyone know the legislation for getting a new noise licence, if it was on a brown field site ie industrial would that help get one? 

On 9/12/2020 at 2:27 PM, ruffdiamond said:

THJ will probably know someone or something,  but might get told off for posting stuff on here. ;)

Here goes.... av got a phone book down the back of me pants...

Forget the Siemens site it won't happen... not as long as you have a hole in your posterior... you don't get a licence to create noise... when you apply for planning you tell people what you will be doing and they either put up with it or object... the council will consider whether the noise is acceptable or not and base it on the amount of objections they recieve...  and may uphold the objections... it's complicated but again once you start the process there could be post objections then you run the risk of abatement orders that may be applied... Honestly forget Siemens... far to close to housing and difficult to suppress noise, smell and dirt...

Rob Grant has been very open and honest as to what his options are and where he is at with various local authorities... he has always stated that he wants to run as a "training track"/"practice track" during the week to generate funds so the noise could be daily not just three hours on a Sunday... (Or Monday)

What also needs to be noted is that it won't be a Stadium... you wouldn't call the Redcar or Scunthorpe venues Stadiums they are "Motor Parks" or "Raceways" not Stadiums like the NSS in Manchester... where ever the club ends up think Redcar and Scunthorpe... Not Brough Berwick Ashfield Sheffield NSS and the likes where there are fixed stands and a Stadium format... it won't be the new Brough Park to start with it will be the original New Rough Park... and possibly quite basic... however it will be a new home offering security and longevity for the club and the promotion has to start somewhere... he's called Grant not Abramovich... monies will be tight the first few years I would suggest...

So where to... and the outskirts of the city are where we will end up without a doubt... and again Granty has been open with what his options currently are... on the outskirts of Newcastle a couple of sites have been mentioned and met with positivity from Newcastle Authority... these sites are located near Throckley and Seaton Burn... North Tyneside are looking at a couple of more sites with one on the A19 tunnel approach and one or two more out on the coast... although they are struggling with the site size requirement and a site in Gateshead towards Kibblesworth through a Farmer that Rob knows... again it needs to be remembered that the local authority may not own the land... it may be farmland or land owned by a third party but the whole process is a complicated one... this can't be stressed enough...

You have to empathise with Rob Grant and his promotional team though surely in these wretched times with this poxy Covid coming along when it did... he bought the club and was late to the party but managed to pull a team together and then wham Covid kicked in... lock down.. and Granty and his team don't get to turn a wheel in anger for a whole season... then the Dogs through ARC start getting a bit bolshie after he has pumped money into the track... it has certainly been a tough start to his promotional career for sure....

If (when) we get to move and wherever it is I hope we draw in some new fans... I know it will be hard to move but we won't be the first side to find a new home and sure some folk will take the losing of Brough Park hard and as the last straw but if you want a viable club it could be the only option the promotion have and I'm sure these decisions won't be taken lightly but if you want to watch Speedway then a change could be imminent and the only answer...

Good luck to the promotion and hopefully every one will see the issues with Brough and get behind what the promotion are having to do to ensure the future of the sport in the region...

As long as we don't end up in Snuderland cos a couldn't bring me self to go there.... anywhere but Mackum land...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Here goes.... av got a phone book down the back of me pants...

Forget the Siemens site it won't happen... not as long as you have a hole in your posterior... you don't get a licence to create noise... when you apply for planning you tell people what you will be doing and they either put up with it or object... the council will consider whether the noise is acceptable or not and base it on the amount of objections they recieve...  and may uphold the objections... it's complicated but again once you start the process there could be post objections then you run the risk of abatement orders that may be applied... Honestly forget Siemens... far to close to housing and difficult to suppress noise, smell and dirt...

Rob Grant has been very open and honest as to what his options are and where he is at with various local authorities... he has always stated that he wants to run as a "training track"/"practice track" during the week to generate funds so the noise could be daily not just three hours on a Sunday... (Or Monday)

What also needs to be noted is that it won't be a Stadium... you wouldn't call the Redcar or Scunthorpe venues Stadiums they are "Motor Parks" or "Raceways" not Stadiums like the NSS in Manchester... whereever the club ends up think Redcar and Scunthorpe... Not Brough Berwick Ashfield Sheffield NSS and the likes where there are fixed stands and a Stadium format... it won't be the new Brough Park to start with it will be the original New Rough Park... and possibly quite basic... however it will be a new home offering security and longevity for the club and the promotion has to start somewhere... he's called Grant not Abramovich... monies will be tight the first few years I would suggest...

So where to... and the outskirts of the city are where we will end up without a doubt... and again Granty has been open with what his options currently are... on the outskirts of Newcastle a couple of sites have been mentioned and met with positivity from Newcastle Authority... these sites are located near Throckley and Seaton Burn... North Tyneside are looking at a couple of more sites with one on the A19 tunnel approach and one or two more out on the coast... although they are struggling with the site size requirement and a site in Gateshead towards Kibblesworth through a Farmer that Rob knows... again it needs to be remembered that the local authority may not own the land... it may be farmland or land owned by a third party but the whole process is a complicated one... this can't be stressed enough...

You have to empathise with Rob Grant and his promotional team though surely in these wretched times with this poxy Covid coming along when it did... he bought the club and was late to the party but managed to pull a team together and then wham Covid kicked in... lock down.. and Granty and his team don't get to turn a wheel in anger for a whole season... then the Dogs through ARC start getting a bit bolshie after he has pumped money into the track... it has certainly been a tough start to his promotional career for sure....

If (when) we get to move and wherever it is I hope we draw in some new fans... I know it will be hard to move but we won't be the first side to find a new home and sure some folk will take the losing of Brough Park hard and as the last straw but if you want a viable club it could be the only option the promotion have and I'm sure these decisions won't be taken lightly but if you want to watch Speedway then a change could be imminent and the only answer...

Good luck to the promotion and hopefully every one will see the issues with Brough and get behind what the promotion are having to do to ensure the future of the sport in the region...

As long as we don't end up in Snuderland cos a couldn't bring me self to go there.... anywhere but Mackum land...

Regards 

THJ 

Is the Seaton burn site the field right next to the A19 just before you get to Seaton burn roundabout on opposite side of the lane from quad bikes if so there were machines on there today looking as if they were doing test drilling probably not connected by the way 

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Dare I ask if a bit of land was found in Sunderland would you never go to speedway again ?? Or go with gritted teeth to enemy land !!-_-

10 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

What also needs to be noted is that it won't be a Stadium... you wouldn't call the Redcar or Scunthorpe venues Stadiums they are "Motor Parks" or "Raceways" not Stadiums like the NSS in Manchester... whereever the club ends up think Redcar and Scunthorpe... Not Brough Berwick Ashfield Sheffield NSS and the likes where there are fixed stands and a Stadium format... it won't be the new Brough Park to start with it will be the original New Rough Park... and possibly quite basic... however it will be a new home offering security and longevity for the club and the promotion has to start somewhere... he's called Grant not Abramovich... monies will be tight the first few years I would suggest...

ng me self to go there.... anywhere but Mackum land...

Regards 

THJ 

I think THJ has got it spot on. Re style of stadium, banked earth keeps the noise in but at Leicester we had to have a double skinned acoustic fence all around the stadium which is basically 2 inch planks of wood that overlap and in our case had to be mounted to a timber frame on an individual basis. (I never want to see a nail gun in my life again).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, andys said:

Is the Seaton burn site the field right next to the A19 just before you get to Seaton burn roundabout on opposite side of the lane from quad bikes if so there were machines on there today looking as if they were doing test drilling probably not connected by the way 

I am led to believe the site is the last patch of ground as you go through Seaton Burn on the B1318 to the A19 roundabout on the left hand side that picks up on the A1 southbound slip road; sort of between the two large roundabouts... however; and again this is one of the problems... this land does not belong to the council it belongs to a third party so there are a mountain of issues and I would suggest you are right in that the test drilling will have nothing to do with the Speedway... although it does give some idea as to the type of sites that Rob is looking at/for.... 

12 hours ago, Neila said:

Dare I ask if a bit of land was found in Sunderland would you never go to speedway again ?? Or go with gritted teeth to enemy land !!-_-

How very dare you... No I would go to Speedway again... just not in Snuderland... there isn't enough Dettol to wash in to get the stink off after a visit and to be fair there is always Northside...

7 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

See, THJ is like Newcastle's unofficial PR guy. :t:

That's official... definitely unofficial...

Regards
THJ

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

I am led to believe the site is the last patch of ground as you go through Seaton Burn on the B1318 to the A19 roundabout on the left hand side that picks up on the A1 southbound slip road; sort of between the two large roundabouts... however; and again this is one of the problems... this land does not belong to the council it belongs to a third party so there are a mountain of issues and I would suggest you are right in that the test drilling will have nothing to do with the Speedway... although it does give some idea as to the type of sites that Rob is looking at/for.... 

Is it the bit where they sometimes have the funfair, big enough and in a handy spot for folk travelling via car and, possibly buses.

42 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Is it the bit where they sometimes have the funfair, big enough and in a handy spot for folk travelling via car and, possibly buses.

Not sure Ruff!!! Sorry... but again its privately owned so there would be a lot of hoops to jump through if it was to go forward... however the council have said they wouldn't be to upset if that's were they went ultimately... so having the council on-side is a big plus... where as they wouldn't support an application for the Siemens site I don't think.... but this is just one of several sites I believe Rob has looked at...

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

How very dare you... No I would go to Speedway again... just not in Snuderland... there isn't enough Dettol to wash in to get the stink off after a visit and to be fair there is always Northside...

That's official... definitely unofficial...

Regards
THJ

& I can just see you with a pint of Double Maxim... & After about 10 saying ( weys keys are these mara )

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, W9 Lion said:

I think THJ has got it spot on. Re style of stadium, banked earth keeps the noise in but at Leicester we had to have a double skinned acoustic fence all around the stadium which is basically 2 inch planks of wood that overlap and in our case had to be mounted to a timber frame on an individual basis. (I never want to see a nail gun in my life again).

Such a fence would seem to be wholly inadequate if comparewd with what we have at Central Park.  There, the acoiustic fence is 6 metres high, and that sits on top of

steep banking which I guess is 3/4 metres above track level, so a total of about nearly 30 feet in old money.  The cost of such a fence around a new track would, I guess, be

prohibitive.  You need a Council who approve of Speedway in the 1st instance, not one opposed to it.  I hope the various councils in the North East are the right kind.

• Like 2

Wimbledon had large stands all around the track but living two miles away our next door neighbours always knew when the racing was on as they could hear both the bikes and the cars, and they knew which was racing by the length of the races. Sound barriers cost a fortune for very little effect except as a sop to the NIMBY's. 

• Like 1