British Speedway Forum

Mr English was very outspoken when Workington were in debt / going out of business, looks like it's now come back to haunt him B)

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Neila said:

Mr English was very outspoken when Workington were in debt / going out of business, looks like it's now come back to haunt him B)

Should never criticise others as look what's happened now.. just thankful young granty is at the helm now...

• Like 2

On 10/28/2020 at 7:29 PM, arnieg said:

Can I point out programmes are zero rated. However racecards are standard rated as they are principally for filling in. The HMRC leaflet on leaflets (!) and other printed materials provides very precise guidelines. 

For example a political or marketing leaflet is zero rated unless more than one third of it is a coupon or survey for filling in, detaching and returning.

I believe the Sheffield 'pizza menu' racecards of a few years back were VATable, but in general speedway programmes will be zero rated.

I thought the issue was

A programme has more pages of adverts than text and is vatable

A magazine has more text than adverts and is not vatable

Sheffields racecard was all adverts and racecard so vat was due.

1 hour ago, toontrader said:

I thought the issue was

A programme has more pages of adverts than text and is vatable

A magazine has more text than adverts and is not vatable

Sheffields racecard was all adverts and racecard so vat was due.

A magazine consisting entirely of adverts would still be zero rated. Advertising leaflets are zero rated.

On 10/30/2020 at 11:04 PM, arnieg said:

A magazine consisting entirely of adverts would still be zero rated. Advertising leaflets are zero rated.

Honestly 

When it all comes out (if it ever does) I think it will be more than the none payment of VAT on a few clarty match day magazine's that may or may not attract a VAT levy

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 10:15 AM, geoff100 said:

A football player can have a benefit match  ( cant spell test*****) and doesnt pat tax yet a poor coach driver gets stung for tax on any tips he might get lol , just saying.

That's because his  testimonial is usually organised by a committee separated from his  club ( his employer )  so it's classed as a one of gift rather than earnings coming from his employer and is exempt from tax

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly 

When it all comes out (if it ever does) I think it will be more than the none payment of VAT on a few clarty match day magazine's that may or may not attract a VAT levy

Regards 

THJ 

There's no 'may or may not' about it, they definitely don't. Presumably you are alleging they did not account for VAT on a material part of their income (maybe sponsorship or under declared gate receipts?) or simply failed in their basic VAT compliance issues.

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

There's no 'may or may not' about it, they definitely don't. Presumably you are alleging they did not account for VAT on a material part of their income (maybe sponsorship or under declared gate receipts?) or simply failed in their basic VAT compliance issues.

I would be very surprised if the filing of VAT returns (and latterly MTD) was not undertaken by 3rd party accountants based on figures provided by the company.

Assuming that to be the case, and given the length of time that the company has been trading, it really is stretching one's imagination to believe that the validation tests the accountants would carry out (turnover reconciliations/cash controls etc) together with HMRC own algorithms would not have exposed serial under-declarations long before now.

But maybe THJ is privy to something we don't know?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, arnieg said:

Think you will find I said the same in an earlier post; the point I was making is that the issue will be way over a couple of hundred programmes included as a VAT offset against the VAT due that goes on the gate entry money alone. Again I would suggest you are correct in your assumption that they "simply failed in their basic VAT compliance issues" or possibly wilfully ignored them. You have been on that side of the fence; can ignorance be used as a defence?

8 hours ago, Aceslider said:

I would be very surprised if the filing of VAT returns (and latterly MTD) was not undertaken by 3rd party accountants based on figures provided by the company.

Assuming that to be the case, and given the length of time that the company has been trading, it really is stretching one's imagination to believe that the validation tests the accountants would carry out (turnover reconciliations/cash controls etc) together with HMRC own algorithms would not have exposed serial under-declarations long before now.

But maybe THJ is privy to something we don't know?

THJ  privy to something we don't know? not really...

Having been in business some years now it is the business that is responsible for its VAT accounting and not the Accountant; or it is in the case where the turnover is at a manageable level. You enter your inputs and outputs onto the HMRC web site and you are told what your VAT liability is quarterly. Now unless you are a large company who can afford an FD or payroll department; or you are making the profits to out-source this function to say "an Accountant" you normally as a business do this function yourself. 

"Tax has changed" or at least that's what the tax man tells you on his web site and you want to see what changes they are proposing for the payment of VAT going forward especially in the game I am in where we as a company will be responsible for paying the VAT charged by sub contractors direct to the VAT man rather than to the Subbie for him to pay and it will be down to the Sub-Contactor to clam back any credits; off-sets or rebates...

Its a pain in the neck but as the saying goes "in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes" which is a rather poignant quote for today as America votes for a new president.

Regards
THJ

Completely off topic for a minute but just found this bit of nostalgia on YouTube 1983 4TT finals with Beaton hunter Emerson Joe Owen and Martin Scarisbrick 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, andys said:

Completely off topic for a minute but just found this bit of nostalgia on YouTube 1983 4TT finals with Beaton hunter Emerson Joe Owen and Martin Scarisbrick 

Nice one AndyS.

Never forget that Martin Scarisbrick ride. The days when Newcastle ruled the shale :) (well at that level anyway)!

Edited by Aceslider
Spelling correction
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Aceslider said:

Nice one AndyS.

Never forget that Martin Scarisbrick ride. The days when Newcastle ruled the shale :) (well at that level anyway)!

Did bobby beaton fall or was he pushed?

1 minute ago, geoff100 said:

Did bobby beaton fall or was he pushed?

He certainly wasn’t pushed:P Pendelbury unlucky there.IMo.

• Like 2

I was at that meeting and I think that this was Martin Scarisbrick's first ride of the day and later on I learnt that Dave Younghusband Newcastle's Team Manager gave

him the best advice in the circumstances, ride like you go round the old Belle Vue track at Hyde Road which was his home base i.e. go as fast as can and don't shut off

at any time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scampispeedway said:

I was at that meeting and I think that this was Martin Scarisbrick's first ride of the day and later on I learnt that Dave Younghusband Newcastle's Team Manager gave

him the best advice in the circumstances, ride like you go round the old Belle Vue track at Hyde Road which was his home base i.e. go as fast as can and don't shut off

at any time.

It certainly was a great gutsy ride.