British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Aye a suppose ya right... at least we had pen's an paper to write with... that Walker lot used slates and nails... they needed a wheelbarrow to take thier homework to an from School...

Regards 

THJ 

Wheelbarra No man it was a man made ( doon the yards ) bogey

Once had to leave a note for a friend who was out, had no paper or pen - what to do.  I improvised; used a thick red laundry marker felt-tip pen I found in the front garden and scribbled message on a piece of wood, posted with difficulty through letter box. Peasant / pleb writing materials, sure, but sorted.  Should probably point out that pens, pencils and paper are widely availabe in these here parts and many local people are familiar with their correct use.... ;)

Copied and pasted from Newcastle Speedway Facebook page:

We are very saddened to learn of the passing of Ken Marshall this morning.
Ken was always a fabulous supporter of Newcastle through the years and always did all he could to help the youngsters progress through the ranks.
Everyone at Newcastle Speedway sends their condolences to all of Ken's family and friends at this very sad time.
126210014_1570069939850433_2115336772465821724_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=lyVlsGzTkzAAX_14NQa&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr2-2.fna&oh=97ebb76b092e89b03b9322a371e1d947&oe=5FDC25EB

23 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Copied and pasted from Newcastle Speedway Facebook page:

We are very saddened to learn of the passing of Ken Marshall this morning.
Ken was always a fabulous supporter of Newcastle through the years and always did all he could to help the youngsters progress through the ranks.
Everyone at Newcastle Speedway sends their condolences to all of Ken's family and friends at this very sad time.
126210014_1570069939850433_2115336772465821724_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=lyVlsGzTkzAAX_14NQa&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr2-2.fna&oh=97ebb76b092e89b03b9322a371e1d947&oe=5FDC25EB

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Condolences to his family.Was he involved in the Felton Training track  a number of years ago ?

Yeah he was at felton...

• Thanks 1

had a few sessions at Felton - he was very supportive and encouraging. Mike Hiftle on the other hand......

3 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

Yeah he was at felton...

Along with ex Ref  Will Hunter in starting Felton up. 

Sad to see the bad news of his death. When Paul Fry broke his leg at Berwick he was transferred to Wansbeck Hospital. I used to go up every day, taking him some food , trunks, socks. etc and just keeping him company. I was joined by Ken, who I knew, and together we arranged transport for him to be taken home.  He always had a word with me about my junior activities at Newcastle, and gave me a lot of encouragement in my early days.  RIP Ken 

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

Yeah he was at felton...

Hopefully when our new owner gets a place of our own in the next year or 2 & maybe another fella like ken could come along & help & encourage new up & coming riders... I think that would be a great move for current Gems & sapphires manager Steve pate to help with as he's done great work with ladies grassroots football in the past & also he took the same approach to the gems team in 2019 ( good work ) he's always encouraging the younger riders boy or girl when he gets to meetings which is good to see 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

Hopefully when our new owner gets a place of our own in the next year or 2 & maybe another fella like ken could come along & help & encourage new up & coming riders... I think that would be a great move for current Gems & sapphires manager Steve pate to help with as he's done great work with ladies grassroots football in the past & also he took the same approach to the gems team in 2019 ( good work ) he's always encouraging the younger riders boy or girl when he gets to meetings which is good to see 

If it is possible for Newcastle to have a Scunthorpe type stadium and be in charge of their own destiny, it will be a great move forward.

good luck

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ch958 said:

had a few sessions at Felton - he was very supportive and encouraging. Mike Hiftle on the other hand......

Fail to see what Mike Hiftle has got to do with this thread.Just a bit of a stir I assume.:blink:

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Fail to see what Mike Hiftle has got to do with this thread.Just a bit of a stir I assume.:blink:

i was making the point that Ken was supportive and the other fella wasn't, it was a hard enough game to try and learn without negativity

Very sad news about Ken Marshall. 

Covid will presumably mean it won't be possible to pay respects at a funeral but hopefully something can be done when we are through all this.

If anyone knows arrangements for donations or flowers please post them. 

RIP Ken.

1 hour ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

Very sad news about Ken Marshall. 

Covid will presumably mean it won't be possible to pay respects at a funeral but hopefully something can be done when we are through all this.

If anyone knows arrangements for donations or flowers please post them. 

RIP Ken.

Hi TG hope you are well..

Current Covid guidelines mean funeral ceremonies must have no more than 30 people attending, whether indoors or outdoors. This number does not include funeral staff but if anyone was popular or has a large family it proves very difficult for anyone to pay their last respects to the deceased...

Sooner this vaccine gets rolled out the better and we get back to some sort of normal... even for something like sad occasions like these...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling
  • Like 3