British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

Rumours that Mr.Grant has informed the track staff including Jonathan Swales that there services are no longer required at Newcastle and the tractors have been sold. If true then I wonder who’s taking over the role and why sell the equipment ? Cost cutting or a new signing imminent?

Personally I think Swales did an unbelievably good job considering all the obstacles in the way at Brough . It’s hardly an ideal shape track to work on , little if any drainage and the time constraints are ridiculous .I’m sure his services would be wanted at Redcar in some capacity, where he has family connections,  if he can fit Friday nights in with his full time work. He is a talented, young track curator and there’s precious few of those around.

Lets hope we have an outstanding replacement lined up and a new tractor or two!

In connection with the above post, I have been asked to address it on behalf of Rob. 

Rob does read this forum but doesn't have an account to comment or reply to any questions directly, but as I'm sure everyone knows by now, he definitley doesn't have anything to hide and will make everything known to fans and anyone else for that matter who takes an interest. 

In his last direct public statement he obviously touched upon the financial issues that Newcastle found itself in this year. Bearing this in mind, the financial situation going in to 2021 is still being closely monitored and we are having to be extra careful with the pot of money we do have. 

Rob has spoken to Jonny Swales earlier this week, where the outcome of the conversation was to release Jonny from his duties at Newcastle. This was not done under any negative pretences and no hard feelings were taken from this conversation on either side. It was merely a cost cutting exercise as Jonny was in a paid position and Newcastle must save money wherever it can this year in order to carry on for the years ahead. Jonny had already secured the track work at Redcar for next season and is happy with that. 

In regards to the rest of the staffing. No other track staff have been relieved of their duties, this includes Robbie and Moxy and all sheeters remain the same. The track itself will be done by Dave Tattum, Darren Hartley and Robs family as they all come from a farming background so are very capable and also legal to drive the tractors (which still remain at Brough by the way). 

And just to put any more rumours to rest here is a list of Newcastle's staffing as we head in to 2021:

Lawrence heppell - press officer

Barry Wallace - Announcer

Andrew Dalby - Centre green presenter

Terry Bolam - Pits Marshall

Brian Mcbean - Clerk of the course

Mark Brown/Alan Murray - Track electricians

Rachel Robley & Angela Tinning - Hospitality

Adam Tinning  -Time keeping and incident recorder.

Stewart Townsley - Environmental officer and asst clerk of course.

Phil Day/Alan Roberts/Don Dorey - Start marshalls

Sarah Bulman - Medical Co-ordinator 

Medics - Rapid Response 

Rachel Robley - Commercial manager 

Tony Kearman - Marketing 

Steve Brock/Kevin Oliver/Taz McDougall - photography

Lee Coates/Lloyd Tattum/Mark Brown/Steve Pate - Asst Track maintenance 

Track Stewards this year will be provided by The Protector Group. The programmes are going to be printed by Ponteland Print and Grants events Catering will obviously be the caterers at the stadium, as well as putting staff on turnstiles and in the track shop. 

And let's not forget Rob himself.... Unlike previous management he is definitley not scared of getting his hands dirty and he will be there from the crack of dawn providing help with the track and fence and anything else that needs his attention. 

Rob has everything well in hand and would never get rid of staff without having a replacement in place. 

I hope this answers a few of the staffing rumours flying around right now. 

Happy New year everyone! 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, NSSG said:

In connection with the above post, I have been asked to address it on behalf of Rob. 

Rob does read this forum but doesn't have an account to comment or reply to any questions directly, but as I'm sure everyone knows by now, he definitley doesn't have anything to hide and will make everything known to fans and anyone else for that matter who takes an interest. 

In his last direct public statement he obviously touched upon the financial issues that Newcastle found itself in this year. Bearing this in mind, the financial situation going in to 2021 is still being closely monitored and we are having to be extra careful with the pot of money we do have. 

Rob has spoken to Jonny Swales earlier this week, where the outcome of the conversation was to release Jonny from his duties at Newcastle. This was not done under any negative pretences and no hard feelings were taken from this conversation on either side. It was merely a cost cutting exercise as Jonny was in a paid position and Newcastle must save money wherever it can this year in order to carry on for the years ahead. Jonny had already secured the track work at Redcar for next season and is happy with that. 

In regards to the rest of the staffing. No other track staff have been relieved of their duties, this includes Robbie and Moxy and all sheeters remain the same. The track itself will be done by Dave Tattum, Darren Hartley and Robs family as they all come from a farming background so are very capable and also legal to drive the tractors (which still remain at Brough by the way). 

And just to put any more rumours to rest here is a list of Newcastle's staffing as we head in to 2021:

Lawrence heppell - press officer

Barry Wallace - Announcer

Andrew Dalby - Centre green presenter

Terry Bolam - Pits Marshall

Brian Mcbean - Clerk of the course

Mark Brown/Alan Murray - Track electricians

Rachel Robley & Angela Tinning - Hospitality

Adam Tinning  -Time keeping and incident recorder.

Stewart Townsley - Environmental officer and asst clerk of course.

Phil Day/Alan Roberts/Don Dorey - Start marshalls

Sarah Bulman - Medical Co-ordinator 

Medics - Rapid Response 

Rachel Robley - Commercial manager 

Tony Kearman - Marketing 

Steve Brock/Kevin Oliver/Taz McDougall - photography

Lee Coates/Lloyd Tattum/Mark Brown/Steve Pate - Asst Track maintenance 

Track Stewards this year will be provided by The Protector Group. The programmes are going to be printed by Ponteland Print and Grants events Catering will obviously be the caterers at the stadium, as well as putting staff on turnstiles and in the track shop. 

And let's not forget Rob himself.... Unlike previous management he is definitley not scared of getting his hands dirty and he will be there from the crack of dawn providing help with the track and fence and anything else that needs his attention. 

Rob has everything well in hand and would never get rid of staff without having a replacement in place. 

I hope this answers a few of the staffing rumours flying around right now. 

Happy New year everyone! 

So Dave,,,, don't be coming to me for a 99!!! ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Haha 1

The Stoke track came under regular criticism when Tatum was doing the job.

it was the reason I stopped going to stoke

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In one way the gesture of dropping the car park charge is good, but IMO if £1 was charged, ( which is loose change really ) up to  £300-400 per meeting could be brought in, quite a sum over 15 to 20 meetings, could even randomly pick a car registration that was parked each week, to win a free entrance to next meeting

29 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

So Dave,,,, don't be coming to me for a 99!!! ;)

Looks like you can stand down now Ruff. :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

Was thinking exactly the same thing.

Stoke became very run down, Track was awful. 

Only improved when Terry the Track went and sorted the ruts and bumps out. 

22 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

And the old Stoke grader has recently been bought by Len Silver for use at Kent, after he damaged his own one. 

8 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

Rumours that Mr.Grant has informed the track staff including Jonathan Swales that there services are no longer required at Newcastle and the tractors have been sold. If true then I wonder who’s taking over the role and why sell the equipment ? Cost cutting or a new signing imminent?

Personally I think Swales did an unbelievably good job considering all the obstacles in the way at Brough . It’s hardly an ideal shape track to work on , little if any drainage and the time constraints are ridiculous .I’m sure his services would be wanted at Redcar in some capacity, where he has family connections,  if he can fit Friday nights in with his full time work. He is a talented, young track curator and there’s precious few of those around.

Lets hope we have an outstanding replacement lined up and a new tractor or two!

Until it's in black & white don't believe it

13 hours ago, NSSG said:

Honestly 

How refreshing... not just that statement but the whole post...

Regards 

THJ 

Oh and happy New Year let's hope this one is better than the last one... let's face it that shouldn't be to hard should it...

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Edited for accuracy
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly 

How refreshing... not just that statement but the whole post...

Regards 

THJ 

Oh and happy New Year let's hope this one is better than the last one... let's face it that shouldn't be to hard should it...

Very good to see Rob Grant and Newcastle joining the small but increasing list of Clubs who are more independent and open and transparent

IOW, Belle Vue; Glasgow, Redcar ; Eastbourne; Swindon; Edinburgh probably the most effective of this positive new trend. 

• Like 3

Been watching all the developments at Newcastle with great interest, as I feel it is important to have strong setups at the North East clubs for all to thrive.

Seems like you have got a good new promoter in Rob Grant, he seems willing to engage with fans and keep them informed of what he is doing and more importantly - why!  Not everyone will agree with all his decisions but that's life! At least if he is up front about it all then he won't be accused of having hidden agendas.  One part of the statement did make me smile - regarding doing the track Rob's family will be assisting as they have a farming background - expect some ploughed fields comments :D:rofl:

Anyway, Happy New Years to Diamonds fans and management here's hoping we get some exciting tussles between yourselves and the Bears in 2021 (with the Bears winning of course :t:) and if we can have a title deciding play-off final between the two of us that would be the real icing on the cake.

All the best NYB 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Wish I shared you're optimism mate, am sure many will make heavy weather of it. ;)

All the Best.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, HGould said:

Was thinking exactly the same thing.

Stoke became very run down, Track was awful. 

Only improved when Terry the Track went and sorted the ruts and bumps out. 

I think Stock cars were the main problem at Stoke 

3 hours ago, mac101 said:

I think Stock cars were the main problem at Stoke 

Stock cars have shared many tracks over the years without major issues but a good track curator has been required to keep it right for speedway.

Jonny Swales is highly regarded and did very good work at Newcastle considering its limitations . A ‘professional’ gets paid to do a good job or he gets sacked, a  volunteer ‘ does a job because he/ she wants too but may not necessarily have the required skills. Brough park track was a challenge for a very good track man let’s hope the volunteers can maintain the standards he set.
I believe Redcar had issues when Tony Swales ( Jonnys father and another very experienced track curator ) was moved on as a cost cutting exercise and they then had major issues with the volunteer track men that followed hence the employment of Terry ‘ the track ‘ as he is known. They then had one of the best race tracks in the country, just like Terry’s work at other tracks Coventry, Wolverhampton and Birmingham as well as him being called in to rectify tracks that had issues like Stoke, Somerset and the Isle of Wight.

A good track curator is essential if the sport is to survive these days and they are worth their wages, whatever they are.

• Like 3