British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

Your maybe not a million miles away there.

No he's two million miles away... av offered twice and been knocked back... sorry to say there wont be a third time...

It's to late... where's the riders... where's Dandelion when you need her... there ain't any one left of note to build a team around...  a said a few weeks back that a was worried... even more so now...

Pull the accounts for Newspeed off the Companies House web site and if anyone can square the circle send me a PM and I will stick some cash in... or at least more than I have over the last nine years...

Here's a plea 10 companies or individuals set up a trust stick 5 grand each in each and pledge to do it for the next 3 years and that will potentially keep the place afloat... do that and I am in but you need to be aware that this will basically only cover the stadium rent of around 1600 quid which I believe is the second highest in the country and the medical cover of around a grand for an 18 home meetings season...

Or find one person or company to stick in 50k but who would do that without wanting some control...

Never say never but I honestly think we are at the nearly stage and here's another one... if as rumoured George walks will all his pals walk with him... from turnstile operators to track staff... that leaves one hell of a gap at the club...

I'm putting wads of cash on that Euro and if I cop the lot it will be no problem but my company isn't big enough to back a Speedway team... oh but I wish it was... I am prepared to help but can't do it on my own unfortunately...

Over to anyone else out there... (if it helps there is one other chap I have spoken to who is a genuine guy and two other possibilities) (So six more required)

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

No he's two million miles away... av offered twice and been knocked back... sorry to say there wont be a third time...

It's to late... where's the riders... where's Dandelion when you need her... there ain't any one left of note to build a team around...  a said a few weeks back that a was worried... even more so now...

Pull the accounts for Newspeed off the Companies House web site and if anyone can square the circle send me a PM and I will stick some cash in... or at least more than I have over the last nine years...

Here's a plea 10 companies or individuals set up a trust stick 5 grand each in each and pledge to do it for the next 3 years and that will potentially keep the place afloat... do that and I am in but you need to be aware that this will basically only cover the stadium rent of around 1600 quid which I believe is the second highest in the country and the medical cover of around a grand for an 18 home meetings season...

Or find one person or company to stick in 50k but who would do that without wanting some control...

Never say never but I honestly think we are at the nearly stage and here's another one... if as rumoured George walks will all his pals walk with him... from turnstile operators to track staff... that leaves one hell of a gap at the club...

I'm putting wads of cash on that Euro and if I cop the lot it will be no problem but my company isn't big enough to back a Speedway team... oh but I wish it was... I am prepared to help but can't do it on my own unfortunately...

Over to anyone else out there... (if it helps there is one other chap I have spoken to who is a genuine guy and two other possibilities) (So six more required)

Regards 

THJ 

John. Are we talking £1000 per meeting for medical cover / insurances etc on top of £1600 rent per meeting ?

Then riders wages along with other outgoings ( tractor repairs, Jonny Swales wages, air fence repairs etc )

13 minutes ago, Parsy29 said:

John. Are we talking £1000 per meeting for medical cover / insurances etc on top of £1600 rent per meeting ?

Then riders wages along with other outgoings ( tractor repairs, Johnny Swales wages, air fence repairs etc )

Yep... So track staff; medical cover; referee and security (Mandy) and don't forget 14 tyres... oh and VAT where applicable to be added on at 20% (some of which can be off set but not a great deal)... that does not include any reserve fund for air fence repairs or replacement... the cost of a meeting at Newcastle is horrendous; and remember in the positive column on the spreadsheet the profit from Beer; Food and sundry sales is severely restricted (or non existent) due to the landlord providing these services...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Yep... So track staff; medical cover; referee and security (Mandy) and don't forget 14 tyres... oh and VAT where applicable to be added on at 20% (some of which can be off set but not a great deal)... that does not include any reserve fund for air fence repairs or replacement... the cost of a meeting at Newcastle is horrendous; and remember in the positive column on the spreadsheet the profit from Beer; Food and sundry sales is severely restricted (or non existent) due to the landlord providing these services...

Regards
THJ

So cost of running a meeting at Newcastle approx ? would you say about £ 3,500.00 plus riders wages plus VAT ?

2 minutes ago, Parsy29 said:

So cost of running a meeting at Newcastle approx ? would you say about £ 3,500.00 plus riders wages plus VAT ?

£1600 rental? That's quite reasonable compared to some. I know of at least one that is almost double that. NB how much to sponsor a meeting? Just interested.

5 hours ago, Parsy29 said:

Well a new friend said "that the best way to make a small fortune out of speedway is to start with a large one" and I fully agree with him following the experience I have had with my involvement in Speedway... but if you think about it and it isn't rocket science you can work it out on the back of a fag packet... (or Vape Box now just to be PC) (not that we do either Gav)

Think of the one off costs to consider at the start of the season such as Licence & Track Licence; Bond Increase; Pre-Season Track Work (track work / materials / boards / paint); Accountancy fees ; BSPA Office Costs; Public Liability Insurance; Air Fence Repairs...

Then the Meeting costs such as RENT; MILEAGE; SUNDRIES (Oil Tyres Green Regs Compliance) TRACK STAFF: MEDICAL COVER: REFEREE ; SECURITY; These are all to be paid for just to get the meeting on.

Then you have the rider's wages on top.

So; get this; and I can show the workings out, just to get a meeting on at Newcastle I reckon it costs 30 quid short of £4000:00 before you pay the riders a penny. All those costs spread out over an 18 meeting season is £4k per match... 

Now stick with me and still on the back of the same fag packet; if you pay your riders a modest average of £60 per point across the team and you average 51 points per meeting home and away including bonus points that's £3,060 in wages but what you also have to remember is you have to pay for your teams away points as well out of your home gate so that's £6,120 added to your £4k so your home gate needs to be approximately 625 fans paying £16 quid; how many do Newcastle get now?

Now all of the above is savagely basic but it gives an idea what the club are up against and if the club were successful the wages figures obviously rise without enough coming through the gate to cover the cost..

The more I look at it the more I despair...

Regards
THJ

Oh and don't forget that "Dammed VAT"  (Boris/Corbyn need their slice)

Spelling, Spell Check and Eyesight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Well a new friend said "that the best way to make a small fortune out of speedway is to start with a large one" and I fully agree with him following the experience I have had with my involvement in Speedway... but if you think about it and it isn't rocket science you can work it out on the back of a fag packet... (or Vape Box now just to be PC) (not the we do either Gav)

Think of the one off costs to consider at the start of the season such as Licence & Track Licence; Bond Increase; Pre-Season Track Work (track work / materials / boards / paint); Accountancy fees ; BSPA Office Costs; Public Liability Insurance; Air Fence Repairs...

Then the Meeting costs such as RENT; MILEAGE; SUNDRIES (Oil Tyres Green Regs Compliance) TRACK STAFF: MEDICAL COVER: REFEREE ; SECURITY; These are all to be paid for just to get the meeting on.

Then you have the rider's wages on top.

So; get this; and I can show the workings out, just to get a meeting on at Newcastle I reckon it costs 30 quid short of £4000:00 before you pay the riders a penny. All those costs spread out over an 18 meeting season is £4k per match... 

Now stick with me and still on the back of the same fag packet; if you pay your riders a modest average of £60 per point across the team and you average 51 points per meeting home and away including bonus points that's £3,060 in wages but what you also have to remember is you have to pay for your teams away points as well out of your home gate so that's £6,120 added to your £4k so your home gate needs to be approximately 625 fans paying £16 quid; how many do Newcastle get now?

Now all of the above is savagely basic but it gives an idea what the club are up against and if the club we successful the wages figures obviously rise without enough coming through the gate to cover the cost..

The more I look at it the more I despair...

Regards
THJ

The more you look in to it John the more you realise what state our sport is in. Being involved as I have been over the last few years has really opened my eyes to the goings on and how only a few people who have money to dispose of can sustain running Speedway teams. Even the biggest and best make very little so something has to change or the slippery slide of clubs disappearing each year will only cease when the last couple close their doors.

Costs need to be reduced as we can't get the crowds back like in the past. So many things to compete for adults money with these days, sadly 15 x 1 minute races at over a pound a race doesn't attract the newbies like say £10 did in the past with 13 heats plus a full competitive second half. I know it sounds crazy but one thing I reckon has made Speedway and other minority sports ( that's sadly what we are now ) suffer is school boy football. So many kids now sign for clubs from 5 or 6 year old, Dad is spending £20-£30 a week by the time they play on a Saturday and train twice a week. It all eats in to the disposable income which was available in the past.

Riders at junior / national league level expecting £30 a point etc is just mad. This grass roots speedway should be non paid like motocross, trials, track racing etc.

Riders wages need to fit in line with revenue for the sport. If you can only afford £40 a point then that has to be the wage across the board. I believe riders deserve more than premier league footballers but when crowds are 400-500 sadly its just not justified.

Scrap new tyres for every meeting. As a new rider over the past 4 seasons some of the tyres Ive been handed off riders still have the factory nobbles on. This waist of money needs to stop. 

I could go on and on but sadly Ive not won the lottery and Im just a supporter who for 43 years watched from the terraces before the last 4 years being a rider and now a junior team manager.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Well a new friend said "that the best way to make a small fortune out of speedway is to start with a large one" 

That has to be one of the best things av heard in a long time :t:

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Parsy29 said:

The more you look in to it John the more you realise what state our sport is in. Being involved as I have been over the last few years has really opened my eyes to the goings on and how only a few people who have money to dispose of can sustain running Speedway teams. Even the biggest and best make very little so something has to change or the slippery slide of clubs disappearing each year will only cease when the last couple close their doors.

Costs need to be reduced as we can't get the crowds back like in the past. So many things to compete for adults money with these days, sadly 15 x 1 minute races at over a pound a race doesn't attract the newbies like say £10 did in the past with 13 heats plus a full competitive second half. I know it sounds crazy but one thing I reckon has made Speedway and other minority sports ( that's sadly what we are now ) suffer is school boy football. So many kids now sign for clubs from 5 or 6 year old, Dad is spending £20-£30 a week by the time they play on a Saturday and train twice a week. It all eats in to the disposable income which was available in the past.

Riders at junior / national league level expecting £30 a point etc is just mad. This grass roots speedway should be non paid like motocross, trials, track racing etc.

Riders wages need to fit in line with revenue for the sport. If you can only afford £40 a point then that has to be the wage across the board. I believe riders deserve more than premier league footballers but when crowds are 400-500 sadly its just not justified.

Scrap new tyres for every meeting. As a new rider over the past 4 seasons some of the tyres Ive been handed off riders still have the factory nobbles on. This waist of money needs to stop. 

I could go on and on but sadly Ive not won the lottery and Im just a supporter who for 43 years watched from the terraces before the last 4 years being a rider and now a junior team manager.

You also might have to factor in, thats any riders needing replacements/new equipment of whatever are subject to having to shop in a captive market.

So its not hard to see that it could easily turn into a money pit.

7 minutes ago, Parsy29 said:

The issue with comparing National League to trials, grasstrack etc is that riders are expected to attend meetings midweek at various points around the country rather than pick and choose their own meetings, locations and race dates. 

That said i certainly won't disagree with the spending levels across the sport as a whole. Teams need to stick to what they can afford  and potentially face sanctions if they cannot provide a sustainable business / adhere to fair play rules. There will always who state its not viable for them but there will be others who enjoy racing and are prepared to race for less. Surely the sport as a whole is more valuable than the services of a single rider for a single season.

• Like 1

Rent and running costs at Newcastle are high to start with so you start on the back foot.... the National League needs to be what it was supposed to be 10 quid a point 10 pence a mile training ground for new riders... you have riders in all three leagues currently which in my personal opinion is wrong... in the league we are in do we really want to see Danny Phillips ride against Cookie... not for me thanks... as S4S states above adhere to fair play rules and financial fair play rules as well but it won't happen because the governing body are weak and self serving... it was mentioned about taking Newcastle into the NL but could that be sustained by the current waning crowd levels and you still need 160 punters through the door at ten quid just to pay the rent (actually nearer 200 when you add in the VAT)... Also I remember some of the Gems meetings which were like the Somme battle field with bodies lying all over the track ambulances running round like a circular bus route (No 19 springs to mind) and meetings taking hours to complete... Brough has never been a sympathetic track to the novice rider...

Also I'm hearing Danny Phillips has signed for Redcar and if true I think that's the writing on the wall...

Good night Vienna... I do so hope I am wrong...

Regards 

THJ 

Spelling,
  • Like 2

Not that I was expecting him back but I see TJ has gone to Scunny.

4 minutes ago, diamond@heart said:

Not that I was expecting him back but I see TJ has gone to Scunny.

We knew TJ was going to Scunny before the end of the season just gone... Rob G announced his team straight from the off...

Regards 

THJ 

If we where planning to go NL, wouldn't have there been a discussion with fans about it first?,,, 'maybe there was'.

I would have thought that discussions with sponsors etc. would have taken place too.

'IF' there is to be no more Newcastle, I feel a little bit saddened that it wasn't able to be announced by George at the last meeting. It's been their life for so long.

A know everyone might have went home crying, but at least we wouldn't have had so much crap about the 'Charles Wright decision'.

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 1