Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, toontrader said:

Those of us that were at Exeter will never forgive Davey Watt

and you must have Mad Max Schofield on the list

And what Mr Illingworth did to him that night!  And also what Watt did at Stoke the same season.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly 

I thought I had him down....  two Jason's must have blind sided me... Lyons was suppose to follow King... doh... and to think his lovely Swedish partner used to stand with us that seson he guested at No1 each week at home.for us... also I think in that 2004 season he averaged around 10+...

You are spot on with that comment

Regards 

THJ 

10.15 from 21 matches - 109 rides - 275+1pts - 6 full maximums and 1 paid maximum to be precise!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, toontrader said:

Those of us that were at Exeter will never forgive Davey Watt

and you must have Mad Max Schofield on the list

We never did. Darryl I think wanted to strangle him as as we walked from the pits across the centre green Davey looked over to the first bend and said 'Well i'll not do anything here tonight'. We were riding well, and if you remember, we should have had a second back to back PL title and finished equal on meeting points as Sheffield, but lost out on actual points scored, despite we had won more matches that them. A couple of years later the rules changed, after Exeter won the league, as homer tracks like them both was favouring the homer tracks. We had intended to give the team a stern talking to to try and raise our chances of a win after starting to get better at Exeter in the previous years. . Davey's comment blew that, and he proceeded to do 3 start and backed off the throttle each time before the first bend, and stayed at the back before pulling onto the center green.  We could have strangled him.:(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, StevePark said:

And what Mr Illingworth did to him that night!  And also what Watt did at Stoke the same season.

 

it was at Stoke that happened, not Exeter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

To be fair I thought with everyone stuck in the house under lock-down and with very little to do (as I point blank refuse to do any decorating whilst I am off) that the forum would have been on fire... but maybe folk have more serious stuff to worry about... as for a dream team there are teams through the ages I have watched at Brough that have had some exceptional riders in and I started going in 1968 (Credit to Auntie Norma and Uncle Doug!) and was lucky enough to see the late great Ivan Mauger in his last season for Newcastle and many other riders who excelled for Newcastle... (Cant get back as far as Tsunami though)(Kudos)

So not a 1 to 7 (unless you look at the first 7 on the list)... no... I am going to offer up the riders who I remember for a one off tournament and give 16 of my favourite riders who I would love to have seen going head to head around Brough.

1. Ivan Mauger (Although I didn't appreciate what I was watching at the time he was something else. The biggest memory wasn't his racing funnily enough but when he sat down in the middle of the track because he had been excluded and the place went mad)

2. Ole Olsen (My boyhood hero at the time and I watched him win the 1978 world final at Wembley and still have my rosette)

3. Anders Michanek (Although I cant really remember him being there for a full season; as much as I remember the previous two named above; however never mind Nicki Pedersen being a hard rider this guy could mix it up with the best of them)

4. Nicki Pedersen (another of my favourite riders "tough as old boots") (no not dirty and neither was Anders) (Hard :lol:)

5. Joe Owen (70's as a kid this bloke was sublime around Brough Park)

6. Tom Owen (Another tough guy)

7. Robert Lambert (Another talented rider)

8. Kenni Larsen

9. Rene Bach

10. Kenneth Bjerre 

11. Bjarne Pedersen

12. Richie Worrall

13. Steve Worrall

14. James Grieves

15. Danny King

16. Kenny Carter 

Not forgetting any of the under-card of supporting riders who all at some time or other offered memorable moments and just to mention a few who I can remember from the 60's Goog Allen; Allan Buterfield: Russ Dent: Dave Gifford: the 70's David Bargh: Robbie Blackadder: Neil Coddington: Nigel Crabtree: Andy and Martyn Cusworth: Robbie Gardner: Brian Havelock: Ron Henderson: Rod Hunter: Phil Kynman: Dag Lovas: Taffy Owen: Tim Swales: the 80's Bobby Beaton: Paul Bentley: Dave Blackburn: Keith Bloxsome: Alan Emerson: Eddie Ingels: Paul McHale: Dave Morton: Reg Wilson; the 90's Andre Compton;  Dickie Juul: David Nagel; Jesper Olsen; Stuart Robson; Gary Stead; the 00's Pepe Franc; Christian Henry; Jason King; Mark Lemon; Trent Leverington; Kevin Little; George Stancil; Davie Watt; and the 10's to date Tero Aarnio;  Lasse Bjerre; Matej Ferjan; Lewis Kerr; Matej Kus; Ludvig Lindgren; Claes Neddermark; Kyle Newman; Dakota North: Lewis Rose; Anton Rosen; Chris Schramm to name but  few who have provided some fantastic  entertainment over the years and the names above may not have been regular GP winners (or even won anything) but at times they have been world beaters and unbeatable around Brough providing some brilliant individual moments and this doesn't detract from any other rider who has rode for the Diamonds either.

That Ladies and Gentlemen has just about filled my day in and I can confirm my Programme Boxes (all 7 of them) and Speedway memorabilia (another 3 boxes) from the late 60's to date are now all tidied up; ship shape and put back away in the cupboard until the next time I get totally bored out of my brick.... I started this exercise as what I thought would be a good idea at 10:00 am this morning and only stopped for Pop Master with Ken Bruce at 10:30 am and a cuppa and a bite to eat for my lunch... After something like 6 hours (enjoyable graft and a bit of sneezing with the dust) its time for tea now as I am one hungry fat lad...

Regards
THJ
 

Be honest john whats your best score on " pop master"was on hols in mexico couple of weeks ago listening on the sounds app and got the 3 in ten people thought i was talking to myself with the headphones on , sadly it was "bucks fizz" i knew the answers too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about Paul Thorp 1993 42 matches 9.90 6 full 1 paid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Went to Sunday school, and in the same Boys Club as Mike. He was also in the training school before mine at C. A. Parsons. I went to the same school as Mike Hiftle, who was always a tearaway from Walkerville.

Another walkerville tearaway is our track sparky lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Be honest john whats your best score on " pop master"was on hols in mexico couple of weeks ago listening on the sounds app and got the 3 in ten people thought i was talking to myself with the headphones on , sadly it was "bucks fizz" i knew the answers too.

Honestly

Best ever score 24 points...  but that's under debate... we normally do Pop Master in the office and if I get into the teens I do a lap of honour round the office as I always seem to get to 12 then get stuck... however I have managed 24 twice and once over I hesitated on a question and blurted it out the same time as the contestant and I claimed the points but the office crew wouldn't allow it so its a one time dubious 27 but two definite unchallenged 24's... and I have done 3 in ten twice once on Debbie Harry/Blondie and once on Rod Stewart but never anything as exotic as "Bucks Fizz"... probably would struggle making my mind up but when you think about it that could be a speedway song....

You gotta speed it up (definite speedway reference)
And then you gotta slow it down (another speedway reference)
'Cause if you believe that our love can hit the top (we all love speedway)
You gotta play around
But soon you will find that there comes a time
For making your mind up (reference to Rob Grant buying the club?)(or fans getting to see a meeting anytime soon?)

You gotta turn it on (the engine)
And then you gotta put it out (definite speedway reference)
You gotta be sure that it's something
Everybody's gonna talk about (speedway)
Before you decide that the times arrived
For making your mind up (who you support)(the Diamonds)

Don't let your indecision
Take you from behind (definite speedway reference)(or it could be rude but I wont go there!!!)(Giggidy!!!)
Trust your inner vision
Don't let others change your mind (riders going for the gap)

And then you really gotta burn it up (definite speedway reference)
And make another fly by night (definite speedway reference who doesn't like watching speedway at night under lights)
Get a run for your money and take a chance (definite speedway reference)
And it'll turn out right (slipped up here because we turn left)(or maybe the result will turn out right)
And when you can see how it's gotta be (win lose or draw)
You're making your mind up (to pick your meeting)

And try to look as if you don't care less (when your team loses)
But if you want to see some more… (definite speedway reference and we would all like to see some more speedway but this poxy Covid 19 is creating havoc)

Sad I know but the next time you here this dross you may have a different perspective on the lyrics and it will be in your head all day now... sorry...

Anyway back to the question of Pop Master. The office manager here is a lad called Malcolm and he scores well every day, anything from the late 70's to the present day and he generally knows the answer and he regularly gets high 20's to low 30's (smart ass) but anything earlier usually stumps him... and now the official office tea break is 10:30 to 11:00 to accommodate Uncle Ken and Pop Master... cant beat a bit of competition in the office... 

Hope everyone is safe and well and as an aside on a more serious note I got my first notification today of someone I know who has come down with Covid 19 and he is in isolation in James Cook Hospital and not very well by all accounts... hope he pulls through as the poor sod has asthma and this has proved to be an issue with anyone who has caught the virus...

Regards
THJ  

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Missed out word
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Best ever score 24 points...  but that's under debate... we normally do Pop Master in the office and if I get into the teens I do a lap of honour round the office as I always seem to get to 12 then get stuck... however I have managed 24 twice and once over I hesitated on a question and blurted it out the same time as the contestant and I claimed the points but the office crew wouldn't allow it so its a one time dubious 27 but two definite unchallenged 24's... and I have done 3 in ten twice once on Debbie Harry/Blondie and once on Rod Stewart but never anything as exotic as "Bucks Fizz"... probably would struggle making my mind up but when you think about it that could be a speedway song....

You gotta speed it up (definite speedway reference)
And then you gotta slow it down (another speedway reference)
'Cause if you believe that our love can hit the top (we all love speedway)
You gotta play around
But soon you will find that there comes a time
For making your mind up (reference to Rob Grant buying the club?)(or fans getting to see a meeting anytime soon?)

You gotta turn it on (the engine)
And then you gotta put it out (definite speedway reference)
You gotta be sure that it's something
Everybody's gonna talk about (speedway)
Before you decide that the times arrived
For making your mind up (who you support)(the Diamonds)

Don't let your indecision
Take you from behind (definite speedway reference)(or it could be rude but I wont go there!!!)(Giggidy!!!)
Trust your inner vision
Don't let others change your mind (riders going for the gap)

And then you really gotta burn it up (definite speedway reference)
And make another fly by night (definite speedway reference who doesn't like watching speedway at night under lights)
Get a run for your money and take a chance (definite speedway reference)
And it'll turn out right (slipped up here because we turn left)(or maybe the result will turn out right)
And when you can see how it's gotta be (win lose or draw)
You're making your mind up (to pick your meeting)

And try to look as if you don't care less (when your team loses)
But if you want to see some more… (definite speedway reference and we would all like to see some more speedway but this poxy Covid 19 is creating havoc)

Sad I know but the next time you here this dross you may have a different perspective on the lyrics and it will be in your head all day now... sorry...

Anyway back to the question of Pop Master. The office manager here is a lad called Malcolm and he scores well every day, anything from the late 70's to the present day and he generally knows the answer and he regularly gets high 20's to low 30's (smart ass) but anything earlier usually stumps him... and now the official office tea break is 10:30 to 11:00 to accommodate Uncle Ken and Pop Master... cant beat a bit of competition in the office... 

Hope everyone is safe and well and as an aside on a more serious note I got my first notification today of someone I know who has come down with Covid 19 and he is in isolation in James Cook Hospital and not very well by all accounts... hope he pulls through as the poor sod has asthma and this has proved to be an issue with anyone who has caught the virus...

Regards
THJ  

One day john we wil fix it to go head to head on the radio but no cheating from office staff

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, geoff100 said:

One day john we wil fix it to go head to head on the radio but no cheating from office staff

Hey you never said what you normally score?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Best ever score 24 points...  but that's under debate... we normally do Pop Master in the office and if I get into the teens I do a lap of honour round the office as I always seem to get to 12 then get stuck... however I have managed 24 twice and once over I hesitated on a question and blurted it out the same time as the contestant and I claimed the points but the office crew wouldn't allow it so its a one time dubious 27 but two definite unchallenged 24's... and I have done 3 in ten twice once on Debbie Harry/Blondie and once on Rod Stewart but never anything as exotic as "Bucks Fizz"... probably would struggle making my mind up but when you think about it that could be a speedway song....

You gotta speed it up (definite speedway reference)
And then you gotta slow it down (another speedway reference)
'Cause if you believe that our love can hit the top (we all love speedway)
You gotta play around
But soon you will find that there comes a time
For making your mind up (reference to Rob Grant buying the club?)(or fans getting to see a meeting anytime soon?)

You gotta turn it on (the engine)
And then you gotta put it out (definite speedway reference)
You gotta be sure that it's something
Everybody's gonna talk about (speedway)
Before you decide that the times arrived
For making your mind up (who you support)(the Diamonds)

Don't let your indecision
Take you from behind (definite speedway reference)(or it could be rude but I wont go there!!!)(Giggidy!!!)
Trust your inner vision
Don't let others change your mind (riders going for the gap)

And then you really gotta burn it up (definite speedway reference)
And make another fly by night (definite speedway reference who doesn't like watching speedway at night under lights)
Get a run for your money and take a chance (definite speedway reference)
And it'll turn out right (slipped up here because we turn left)(or maybe the result will turn out right)
And when you can see how it's gotta be (win lose or draw)
You're making your mind up (to pick your meeting)

And try to look as if you don't care less (when your team loses)
But if you want to see some more… (definite speedway reference and we would all like to see some more speedway but this poxy Covid 19 is creating havoc)

Sad I know but the next time you here this dross you may have a different perspective on the lyrics and it will be in your head all day now... sorry...

Anyway back to the question of Pop Master. The office manager here is a lad called Malcolm and he scores well every day, anything from the late 70's to the present day and he generally knows the answer and he regularly gets high 20's to low 30's (smart ass) but anything earlier usually stumps him... and now the official office tea break is 10:30 to 11:00 to accommodate Uncle Ken and Pop Master... cant beat a bit of competition in the office... 

Hope everyone is safe and well and as an aside on a more serious note I got my first notification today of someone I know who has come down with Covid 19 and he is in isolation in James Cook Hospital and not very well by all accounts... hope he pulls through as the poor sod has asthma and this has proved to be an issue with anyone who has caught the virus...

Regards
THJ  

Wouldn't mind doing one on Debbie Harry, but not sure about Rod Stewart lol.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, proud panther said:

Wouldn't mind doing one on Debbie Harry, but not sure about Rod Stewart lol.

easy tiger , i mean panther !     pop master could be interesting between  geoff100 and th...j . get it done lads ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Be honest john whats your best score on " pop master"was on hols in mexico couple of weeks ago listening on the sounds app and got the 3 in ten people thought i was talking to myself with the headphones on , sadly it was "bucks fizz" i knew the answers too.

Mark Courtney how could you forget that surname john .. martin mad dog Dixon battling Bernie Collier & also grant MacDonald big Graeme Stapleton another decent kiwi who wore the diamonds body bib

Edited by pienpeesman
Error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pienpeesman said:

Mark Courtney how could you forget that surname john .. martin mad dog Dixon battling Bernie Collier & also grant MacDonald big Graeme Stapleton another decent kiwi who wore the diamonds body bib

In my younger days i used to drive mark around before he was 17 if u ever see younger brother sean ask him about the car door accident in barrow !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy