British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

Mark Courtney how could you forget that surname john .. martin mad dog Dixon battling Bernie Collier & also grant MacDonald big Graeme Stapleton another decent kiwi who wore the diamonds body bib

To be fair Mala there were a load of names I could have put down and I did say of the riders listed that they had gave some brilliant individual moments and left me with special memories and if you start to list them all you could be on a month of Sunday's compiling a list and that the list I made certainly didn't detract from any other rider who had rode for the Diamonds they are all brave lads and I would have liked to have put every name down of the riders I have witnessed round the spot... some very memorable and others not so....

Unlike many Speedway fans I actually like our track and appreciate it's a bit "marmite" in most fans and riders eyes... but the one thing I do like to watch are first timers to Brough Park... a couple of stand out moments were the two Poles who rode for Ipswich watching their struggles on there first Brough visit and in the same meeting watching Scott Nichols giving a master class on how to ride the spot... although I think he had been once before... or when Darcy Ward came for his first visit and we watched him master the spot with a third a second then rounded it off with three wins... awsome...

I enjoy riders like Eddie Kennett who hates the spot but when he does come you know something will happen... Adam Roynon was another who always fought with the track but provided great entertainment and spectacular spills... Josh Auty again a rider who hates the place I would say but turns up like a hero everytime and gets on his bike and gets on with it trying his best for his team... then usually comes off but fair play to the kid you can't knock him back he gets up and gets on with it...

Riders we had a go at getting in their early careers but failed like Peter Kildermand Craig Cook and Jason Garrity were/are always a pleasure to watch round Brough and I again enjoy watching quality riders strut their stuff at Newcastle...

Here's one for Tsunami... who may have a better memory because I was only a kid at the time but when I was looking at all them old programmes I was taking a bit of time looking at the old Workington meetings because of my connections and one name that was always missing  at Brough with either R/R or a guest in was Mal MacKay... now the question is Was that due to a genuine injury or was he pulling a sickie because he didn't like the spot? Maybe a Worky fan has the answer?

I am aware of many riders who dislike Brough many others who love the place and many more who don't have a bias either way seeing it as just another race track and I thank then all for some fantastic entertainment over ther years (and some rubbish as well mind) but they can only race on what's prepared for them... but is that not one of the reasons why we love the sport and find it so fascinating...

I do hope we get some racing in this year and that bloody virus doesn't wreck the entire season....

If I get time at work tomorrow I might have a look at our team an see if my take on it does or doesn't stir a bit of debate... got to do something to keep people interested... lol...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Here's one for Tsunami... who may have a better memory because I was only a kid at the time but when I was looking at all them old programmes I was taking a bit of time looking at the old Workington meetings because of my connections and one name that was always missing  at Brough with either R/R or a guest in was Mal MacKay... now the question is Was that due to a genuine injury or was he pulling a sickie because he didn't like the spot? Maybe a Worky fan has the answer?

I am aware of many riders who dislike Brough many others who love the place and many more who don't have a bias either way seeing it as just another race track and I thank then all for some fantastic entertainment over ther years (and some rubbish as well mind) but they can only race on what's prepared for them... but is that not one of the reasons why we love the sport and find it so fascinating...

Regards 

THJ 

Mal rode for the Comets between 1970 and 1976, and between the years 1970 to 1974 Newcastle were not in the second Division. In 1975 Mal broke his leg in a crash at Barrow early in the season, ruling him out all season.The two teams met in a Challenge meeting in April and then not till Sept. In 1976 he made a very brief return for a couple of meetings before his leg problems returned, causing him to retire from the sport. He will have been genuinely injured each time I would say

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, yellow and black said:

Mal rode for the Comets between 1970 and 1976, and between the years 1970 to 1974 Newcastle were not in the second Division. In 1975 Mal broke his leg in a crash at Barrow early in the season, ruling him out all season.The two teams met in a Challenge meeting in April and then not till Sept. In 1976 he made a very brief return for a couple of meetings before his leg problems returned, causing him to retire from the sport. He will have been genuinely injured each time I would say

not wishing to disagree but i think mal broke his leg in 74 came back in 75 it broke again when he fell at derwent park but yes r/r was used in 76 for him.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

not wishing to disagree but i think mal broke his leg in 74 came back in 75 it broke again when he fell at derwent park but yes r/r was used in 76 for him.

You are quite right Geoff. It was 1974 originally as Barrow didn't race in 1975. He did break it again in 1975 very early on, and tried to ride in 1976 but to no avail

Edited by yellow and black
Unfinished
  • Like 1

my psv drivers badge which new drivers dont get these days started with initials "cc" have often being called it lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, yellow and black said:

You are quite right Geoff. It was 1974 originally as Barrow didn't race in 1975. He did break it again in 1975 very early on, and tried to ride in 1976 but to no avail

the fiery aussie as he was known used to blast round the boards when the track wasnt as wide as it is soz was now,him and lou in ht 13 used to team ride and am sure talked to eachother as they went round.

• Haha 1

My memories of Newcastle Speedway would see;

Robbie Blackadder 

David Bargh

Rod Hunter 

Keith Bloxsome 

Richie Worrall 

Ashley Morris

Ludvig Lindgren 

most of which developed from reserve, to become decent riders and were entertaining on track.

Also at no.8,,, Kevin Macdonald,  where we never got to see the potential he had.

• Like 2

So here's the thing 2020...

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS  
    AVE   -2.50%
1 Claus Vissing  8.43   8.43
2 Max Clegg  5.05   4.93
3 Ondrej Smetana 5.00   5.00
4 Nick Skorja 5.00   5.00
5 Matthew Wethers 6.92   6.92
6 James Wright 4.00   4.00
7 Connor Mountain 4.73   4.61

Total: 39.13   38.89

Remaining:     2.11

This is what we had and to be fair I appreciate we were 2.11 points under the limit but I think under the circumstances Rob Grant did a fairly decent job and I will be a bit gutted if we don't get to see this side on track sometime this season; and to be "Totally Honest" due to this virus carry on I can't see us getting any racing in this season to be fair... Sorry to be a doom and gloom merchant but we have 3 international riders in our team and with whole countries in lock-down and flights required it will be a big ask for the season to start (for any team not just Newcastle)... hope I am wrong but here's hoping...

Anyhow what do we think this team could have achieved because I for one do not think it is as bad as many people make out... now I appreciate it isn't Workington 2018 however that triple winning side was totally written off before a wheel was turned and look what they achieved... So here is my daft turn on what I believe they could have achieved...

Claus Vissing... "He's not a Number 1" Is he not? I would beg to differ and suggest he has the average to say otherwise and I could see Claus adding to his 8.43 starting average... Maybe not by much however I believe he is more than capable of maintaining an 8.5 point average in the Championship and from the No 1 berth; plus he is a rider who can lead the line... he's hard working; committed and (something I like) a hard riding Dane who as a breed tend to shine at Brough for some reason... Plus we have started seasons with Ludvig Lindgren; Stuart Robson and Mark Lemon in recent years starting in the No 1 role with very similar or lower averages for the club at the start of the season; and in 2018 at the end of the year; we had Tero Aarnio top of the averages with 6.83. So Claus Vissing would be ready to make the step up and deliver in my opinion...

Max Clegg... Max will add more than a point to his average due to home track knowledge; he is getting better and better around Brough; he may not get many points away but his home track form will increase his average and to use Ludvig as an example again he was a rider who would regularly score double figures at home but not so many away and he regularly averaged around 7... Max can easily do the same IMHO...

Ondrej Smetana... as a new boy from the Czech Republic what can you expect; 3 points average at the end of the season... well again I can not see that; and would suggest he will dip into the reserve spot but with Geordie Stancl in his corner he will be well schooled and well grounded.. with his backside well (and truly) kicked if he doesn't perform and I could have seen him maintaining the 5 average he has for most of the season sharing the reserve berth...

Nick Skorja... another new boy from Slovenia who comes highly recommended but may be more of a talent on the bigger tracks however again I believe he may be a rider who dips into the reserve berth but again I doubt he would be there for the whole season and will just click over that assessed 5 point average...

Matthew Wethers... What do you need to say about this guy typical Aussie with the "charisma of a crisp" (sorry) but totally dependable and totally reliable and a bloke who just gets his head down and gets on with the job with a brilliant work ethic; one of life's nice guys and another who is now getting well and truly dialled in to Brough Park and another who I feel will regularly get into double figures at home and between 5 and 8 points away and he will put a point on his average due to home track advantage....

James Wright... Well here we go "James the "Workington Whippet" Wright" now joined the flat cap brigade in the North East who invented Whippet Racing.... Been away for a while and I don't think he will be an instant success but on a 4 average he could be the steal of the season and I think with his racing ability (and if has the trigger finger well oiled and fired up) he will end up at No 5 and with an average at least 2 points more than he now has...

Connor Mountain... Another rider who could end up doing the same as Max Clegg and I have seen Connor put some good competitive laps in around Brough and to be fair who doesn't like a racer and a genuine 100 per-cent trier and he will potentially get out of the reserve berth and rotate around our two new Eastern Europeans in my opinion. Will score at home no problem once he gets dialled in...

So the year Workington won the lot they ended the season with the following averages

Workington Comets

1 Rene Bach 7.19
2 Ty Proctor 6.96
3 Nicolai Klindt 6.94
4 Dan Bewley 6.79
5 Rasmus Jensen 6.59
6 Mason Campton 6.32
7 Kyle Bickley 2.00

Total 42.79

Look at the team total? 42.79...
Now the Covid 19 may be addling my brain (or the drink) but is the following not more than achievable
Especially if the guys can get dialled into the track and make the home track advantage pay?

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS

1. Claus Vissing 8.50
2. Max Clegg 5.65
3. Nick Skorja 5.45
4. Matthew Wethers 7.02
5. James Wright 6.25
6. Ondrej Smetana 4.98
7. Connor Mountain 4.95

Total: 42.80

Look at the team total? 42.80...
The Workington lads made Derwent Park a fortress and there is no reason that this Newcastle Team couldn't do that as well...
So there you go get stuck in and pull the reasoning to bits... Stuff Covid 19 the pot as ever is definitely half full
Fantasy Football or Fantasy Speedway... Nowt like dreaming like is there... but is it achievable...
Dream on...

Stay Well and Stay Safe

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
missed out key word

THJ, am gutted at possibly/probly not being able to see what our team would've done.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

THJ, am gutted at possibly/probly not being able to see what our team would've done.

Aye me too buddy.... we could have been awful to be fair but I prefer to look on the brighter side and after the sledging that Worky team got 2018 and then won the lot anything is possible...

Regards

THJ 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Aye me too buddy.... we could have been awful to be fair but I prefer to look on the brighter side and after the sledging that Worky team got 2018 and then won the lot anything is possible...

Regards

THJ 

We could have been awful, but don't think we would have been 'wooden spoon' winners,,, would have put money on us not being,,, suppose this crisis might have saved me a few quid tho :t:

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

My memories of Newcastle Speedway would see;

Robbie Blackadder 

David Bargh

Rod Hunter 

Keith Bloxsome 

Richie Worrall 

Ashley Morris

Ludvig Lindgren 

most of which developed from reserve, to become decent riders and were entertaining on track.

Also at no.8,,, Kevin Macdonald,  where we never got to see the potential he had.

24 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

We could have been awful, but don't think we would have been 'wooden spoon' winners,,, would have put money on us not being,,, suppose this crisis might have saved me a few quid tho :t:

No a think you are right I deffo don't think we were favourites for the wooden spoon either. .. At home we would have put a few of the so called top teams to the sword....

Right this Star Wars movie is doing my nut in av seen it that many times a could star in it...So how about a bit of mischief... just to stir it up a bit... rather than your favourite 7 Diamonds  how about your 7 riders you wouldn't want to see riding for Newcastle...

1. Eddie Kennett

2. Gary Havelock

3. Josh Auty

4. Adam Roynon

5. Jordan Frampton 

6. Gary Flint

7. Danny Phillips

Not thst any of them were bad riders per sey (cough cough) they just didn't seem to perform at Brough... and we once went after Kennett would you believe...

Now light blue touch paper and stand well back...

May the force be with you...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Senility
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

No a think you are right I deffo don't think we were favourites for the wooden spoon either. .. At home we would have put a few of the so called top teams to the sword....

Right this Star Wars movie is doing my nut in av seen it that many times a could star in it...So how about a bit of mischief... just to stir it up a bit... rather than your favourite 7 Diamonds  how about your 7 riders you wouldn't want to see riding for Newcastle...

1. Eddie Kennett

2. Gary Havelock

3. Josh Auty

4. Adam Roynon

5. Jordan Frampton 

6. Gary Flint

7. Danny Phillips

Not thst any of them were bad riders per sey (cough cough) they just didn't seem to perform at Brough... and we once went after Kennett would you believe...

Now light blue touch paper and stand well back...

May the force be with you...

Regards 

THJ 

Brian 'ef' Havelock,,,

Be back later when I've replenished my gin.

Defo Frampton...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Brian 'ef' Havelock,,,

Be back later when I've replenished my gin.

Defo Frampton...

Bruce Penhall

• Like 1