British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, balderdash&piffle said:

As usual. they have tinkered around the edges, going back to something they tried 3 years ago.  The BSPA is it's own downfall, they need to be radical but for what ever reason are reluctant to change. 

The proposed regionalisation is different to the previous incarnation in 2014 when " Teams will meet all other Teams in a League table on 2 occasions, 1 at home and 1 away and by ballot additional Teams to make a total of 14 home and 14 away fixtures. ". The proposal for 2020 is " Clubs race opponents from their own section twice at home and twice away, and opponents from the other section once at home and once away. "

That removes the lottery element and gives each Club 16 home league fixtures; meeting the five same Group Clubs twice, and the six other Group Clubs once.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, enotian said:

So far as I am aware the Newcastle promotion have a similar reputation, yet still struggle to attract riders.

The point is that, whether it's Poole and/or Glasgow or not, there is a disparity between what some clubs can afford. Not the fault of those clubs, they live within their means. My point is that their isn't sufficient clubs left to sustain the  three tier structure so the Championship needs to be a sustainable standard for the majority, which inevitably means less professional and featuring less expensive 'international' standard riders. But whilst clubs with larger budgets remain in the Championship the rest will try to be competitive on the basis that if they're not the crowd levels fall. Either way is unsustainable in the long term unless you can reduce costs.

You could argue that if speedway in Newcastle is unsustainable (due to a Sunday race night and/or high stadium rental etc) then they should drop down to the National League but that's the problem. Even if Belle Vue and Cradley continue it's a maximum six team league which just isn't viable and not great news for the development of young British riders who struggle to make Championship level pay (Thomas, Wood etc).

With only 22 tracks in operation, now would have been the opportunity to have restructured to two tiers, widening the gap between both and getting rid of doubling up for all bar British development riders. Workington's demise last season should have been the tipping point. How many more will fall before it's inevitable?

If Newcastle go (and let's hope not), that's 13 gone in 19 years..

Thats 1 club going every 1.46 years...

Surely someone who is involved in running the sport can see that what they currently have (and have used for far too long) as an operating model and business plan simply doesn't work..?

How many will go before it gets sorted?

Best of luck to the Diamonds...

NB Did all these 13 clubs get £5,000 fines for closing? :rolleyes:

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

The proposed regionalisation is different to the previous incarnation in 2014 when " Teams will meet all other Teams in a League table on 2 occasions, 1 at home and 1 away and by ballot additional Teams to make a total of 14 home and 14 away fixtures. ". The proposal for 2020 is " Clubs race opponents from their own section twice at home and twice away, and opponents from the other section once at home and once away. "

That removes the lottery element and gives each Club 16 home league fixtures; meeting the five same Group Clubs twice, and the six other Group Clubs once.

Except it’s still a bit of a lottery: you could have the six worst clubs in one half of the draw and yet the top three of them will qualify for the play offs!

Just now, DC2 said:

Except it’s still a bit of a lottery: you could have the six worst clubs in one half of the draw and yet the top three of them will qualify for the play offs!

I expect to see one league table with all twelve Clubs - two  mini-leagues would only work if the qualifying fixtures were contained within that Group.

2 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

I expect to see one league table with all twelve Clubs - two  mini-leagues would only work if the qualifying fixtures were contained within that Group.

Good. Thanks, Neil.

1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

Actually it just occurred to me that all of the northern teams could beat all of the southern ones but some southern ones could finish in the top six by beating their southern counterparts.

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Actually it just occurred to me that all of the northern teams could beat all of the southern ones but some southern ones could finish in the top six by beating their southern counterparts.

Steady;) ,just an anomaly ,nothing new

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

That's right. So it should be two 'conferences' with both the conference champions straight to the semi's and hopefully 2nd in the North plays 3rd in the South etc in the quarters.  Meaning that if the top three teams in the Championship are in one 'conference' they can all make the semi finals. This regional split should have been implemented ages ago. 16 home league matches is just about right and hopefully the cut off will be end of August.

10 hours ago, enotian said:

That's right. So it should be two 'conferences' with both the conference champions straight to the semi's and hopefully 2nd in the North plays 3rd in the South etc in the quarters.  Meaning that if the top three teams in the Championship are in one 'conference' they can all make the semi finals. This regional split should have been implemented ages ago. 16 home league matches is just about right and hopefully the cut off will be end of August.

So teams in the North wouldn't meet teams in the South (in the league) and have home and away three times (15 home and 15 away matches)?  Then fans would complain that they'd only seen five different teams in the league!!  I reckon they've (just about) got it right the way they've done it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, StevePark said:

So teams in the North wouldn't meet teams in the South (in the league) and have home and away three times (15 home and 15 away matches)?  Then fans would complain that they'd only seen five different teams in the league!!  I reckon they've (just about) got it right the way they've done it.

No. Exactly not that.  Fixtures as have been announced. 10 home against your five conference rivals and (i.e. twice each) plus 6 home against the teams from the other conference (i.e. once each) making 16 fixtures. My point was that there shouldn't be one league table as the mix of fixtures could mean that the total points could be skewed if one conference is weaker than the other. So there should only ever be two conference tables with the top three in each progressing.  Not the top six in a combined league progressing.

This is perhaps a subtle concept but it's the only way of ensuring that the league standings are not skewed. i.e. everyone in the same conference has rode against the same opposition the same amount of times.

It has the added benefit of their being two conference champions and also makes the play off's a little more distinct from the league. Should have done it years ago.

• Like 1

Quick question: When are the fixtures normally announced? Can't really remember... Thanks

Edit: I don't just mean for Newcastle... I mean for everyone

Edited by Dandelion

21 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Quick question: When are the fixtures normally announced? Can't really remember... Thanks

Edit: I don't just mean for Newcastle... I mean for everyone

Isn't there a draft fixture list sent to all clubs in December so that they can check and re-check rider availability, clashes with international and foreign league meetings (not withstanding any TV clashes with Euro 2020 in June!).

The BSPA then have a meeting in early January to approve the list with any changes so it should be made available to the public by February 1st. (However with a new chair and board of directors things may be different for 2020?)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, enotian said:

My point was that there shouldn't be one league table as the mix of fixtures could mean that the total points could be skewed if one conference is weaker than the other.

So there should only ever be two conference tables with the top three in each progressing. 

Not the top six in a combined league progressing.

That makes the problem worse.

If all of the northern teams best all of the southern teams, home and away, you’d still have three southern teams in the play offs.

At least with one league table there would be a chance for four or five northern teams to make the playoffs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Isn't there a draft fixture list sent to all clubs in December so that they can check and re-check rider availability, clashes with international and foreign league meetings (not withstanding any TV clashes with Euro 2020 in June!).

The BSPA then have a meeting in early January to approve the list with any changes so it should be made available to the public by February 1st. (However with a new chair and board of directors things may be different for 2020?)

Either way... It's a while away and not within the next few weeks

14 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

Sorry but you have the 2014 version completly wrong their was definitelty no lottery element and if that was your perception of the proposal maybe that's why it didn't go through... but never mind we now have regionalisatation in the form of the new 2020 format lets see how it goes and whether the fans like it or not...

Regards 

THJ

• Haha 1