British Speedway Forum

I’d say it is beyond the realms of possibility. It’s been said on here that the rent at BP is prohibitive and if that is so I imagine NL wouldn’t pay. 

Anyhow, league structure is not the most pressing issue for the Conference: I don’t mind it being debated but only after helmet colours have been sorted out. 

There are definitely at least 2 leagues. I know of 6 riders who are signed ( agreed deals ) with top two leagues. The usual culprit has his one to seven sorted and hopes to be first to announce, did not stop them finishing near bottom half of table, 3 championship riders dropping the champs league next season, one club looking to bounce back from a poor year have two riders over eight, one already announced. They have some idea of what’s happening or one hell of a job backtracking to do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Well, in the interview on Sunday from the track, George did say that we'll probly start next season with the 90th (or 91st),,, so it looks positive :t:

Yes and we all know talk can be cheap lol

12 hours ago, leander said:

I'd wait until the end of the conference to see what the league structure. Those riders who have signed for clubs already will work in either the current structure or a one main league structure. (e.g. Chris Harris has signed for Birmingham :- Is it as No.1 for a Championship team, or 2nd/3rd heat leader in a single league). Nobody appears to have signed for a team in both divisions.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Max could be no. 1 and Danny 2nd or 3rd heat leader next year.

Under £9 entry that would be good for conference:t: I do not think it would be sustainable to drop down a league unless we get a pot of money from somewhere like the national lottery etc.

2 minutes ago, soupy said:

Under £9 entry that would be good for conference:t: I do not think it would be sustainable to drop down a league unless we get a pot of money from somewhere like the national lottery etc.

Might save a canny bit on the wage bill tho ;)

3 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Might save a canny bit on the wage bill tho ;)

That is a good point but would the fickle people pay to watch it, As if it is not a winning team most just walk away.

2 hours ago, soupy said:

That is a good point but would the fickle people pay to watch it, As if it is not a winning team most just walk away.

Dunno...

Would the lost revenue from supplying a 'lesser' product cheaper,,, balance out against the saving on the wage bill?

6 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Dunno...

Would the lost revenue from supplying a 'lesser' product cheaper,,, balance out against the saving on the wage bill?

Might be ,Also try to get a new arrangement with the owners of the stadium for less rent but probably has been done before but will probably not budge and it will be no go anyway.Suppose it is a catch twenty two and do they really want speedway at the stadium.

3 hours ago, soupy said:

Might be ,Also try to get a new arrangement with the owners of the stadium for less rent but probably has been done before but will probably not budge and it will be no go anyway.Suppose it is a catch twenty two and do they really want speedway at the stadium.

A suppose it's a canny little earner for the landlords tho and, they probly get a few clarty rags from the circus and fairground folk too,,, so it may well be worth having a nibble at it. ;)

and not forgetting the coppers they make from the cafe and bar.

Edited by ruffdiamond

15 hours ago, bringbackHalifax said:

There are definitely at least 2 leagues. I know of 6 riders who are signed ( agreed deals ) with top two leagues. The usual culprit has his one to seven sorted and hopes to be first to announce, did not stop them finishing near bottom half of table, 3 championship riders dropping the champs league next season, one club looking to bounce back from a poor year have two riders over eight, one already announced. They have some idea of what’s happening or one hell of a job backtracking to do.

The only teams that have announced riders with averages over 8 are Edinburgh(Masters) & Birmingham(Harris)

Edited by IronScorpion

16 hours ago, bringbackHalifax said:

Yes but some of the signings are "subject to the outcome of the conference". It wouldn't be the first time promoters have looked to have sorted everything out pre-conference. Then gone home and thought about it and realised that it wasn't such a good idea after all and gone totally the other way at the Conference.

1 hour ago, leander said:

Yes but some of the signings are "subject to the outcome of the conference". It wouldn't be the first time promoters have looked to have sorted everything out pre-conference. Then gone home and thought about it and realised that it wasn't such a good idea after all and gone totally the other way at the Conference.

Think most things in principle are decided long before AGM ,it’s mainly a rubber stamp job and deciding helmet colours for coming season.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Dunno...

Would depend what sort of team they put out there’s loads of northern based riders  plus a few locals put a winning team together  and fans will come 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mac101 said:

Would depend what sort of team they put out there’s loads of northern based riders  plus a few locals put a winning team together  and fans will come 

and with one Archie Freeman a potential NL rider next season and the fact that, as a Sunday team with limited finances, we struggle to compete for big names (even though we're perfect for doubling up for the same Sunday reason) NDL could be a possibility.

However, if the rumours about Kent and Plymouth moving up are correct, plus the demise of Stoke, I'm not sure where that leaves the NDL anyway.

I wouldn't mind watching NDL if it's competitive but then I am used to watching 3rd tier sport ;)

Perhaps if they made the NDL for any U-24 Brit, plus one over 24 rider and one U-24 foreigner the standard wouldn't be too diluted but affordable for the likes of Mildenhall and IoW and more sustainable for the majority of CL clubs. It would mean most of the riders would be UK based.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, enotian said:

and with one Archie Freeman a potential NL rider next season and the fact that, as a Sunday team with limited finances, we struggle to compete for big names (even though we're perfect for doubling up for the same Sunday reason) NDL could be a possibility.

However, if the rumours about Kent and Plymouth moving up are correct, plus the demise of Stoke, I'm not sure where that leaves the NDL anyway.

I wouldn't mind watching NDL if it's competitive but then I am used to watching 3rd tier sport ;)

Perhaps if they made the NDL for any U-24 Brit, plus one over 24 rider and one U-24 foreigner the standard wouldn't be too diluted but affordable for the likes of Mildenhall and IoW and more sustainable for the majority of CL clubs. It would mean most of the riders would be UK based.

If there’s only a handful of teams they could run 2 teams and only do league matches so would only need 5 Sunday’s  Which could be fitted in on blank weekends unless they made the finals lol might need a few more lol