British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, InfinitiDiamonds said:

I remember as a kid going to see berwick in a stadium in a field.  Where about is that? 

Berrington lough few miles outside Berwick, was actually a cracking little track, bandits used it for their time in the top league I believe kelvin tatum was riding for them.. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, soupy said:

It is a safe seat so no fear of change for Mr Opperman

Don't know much about politics.

1 hour ago, andys said:

I know I'm getting ahead of myself just slightly,, but if they are buying the club, I wonder if they have space on their farm to build our own track and save themselves thousands a year on rent and loss of catering money. 

Hate to admit this but the two Robs Snr and Jnr have just moved back to the family farm taking over from Rob's brother... I used to buy my pullets from there and the uninitiated are now googling what a pullet is.... haha... but  the old Grandad sold most of the land to Banks who want to "open cast" the site for coal... remember that stuff... but there is a wrangle going on because on the high ground opposite the farm someone wants to build a housing estate an if that happens there won't be any open cast works happening and I doubt any speedway track either...

But a like the way you are thinking... and who knows it might just happen... 

The pot is definitely half full...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Is it not at Throckley?

Thats what I thought. When we went to the Lake District for a pre-season bonding exercise, we passed his family farm and he pointed it out. That was the season we won the league 2001, but as we passed his farm the talk was all about foot and mouth and the killing of all his animals.

3 hours ago, Tsunami said:

It is. The family have a farm beside Ponteland, and son Rob runs his food van at big shows as well as now Berwick, where his father Big Rob is still well revered. Rob has always been very independant, and has been in his business a number of years now after retiring from riding. 

The Grants have not had the farm for a good number of years now, and the catering at Berwick as of the season just gone is done in house and supplied by Anderson Butchers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Thats what I thought. When we went to the Lake District for a pre-season bonding exercise, we passed his family farm and he pointed it out. That was the season we won the league 2001, but as we passed his farm the talk was all about foot and mouth and the killing of all his animals.

Ahh,,, foot & mouth, could tell you a story about that Dave,,, it would be a short story like ;)

A 'pre season bonding exercise''???,,,,

Do you mean a 'jolly'? 

Edited by ruffdiamond

5 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Well I hope he got his fair share of compensation!!

Maybe some small change to build a new speedway track?

And what about the Shadow Minister of Speedway Mr Brown putting in a good word in for us with Corbyn's money production team?

• Haha 1

According to Rob's website he is now based at Eastwoods Farm, Prudhoe -

'The premises at Crescent Farm was a stepping stone until the company found a permanent home. Grants butchers remained there for two years continuing to build a relationship with old and new customers as well as expanding on the wholesale side. It was after the two years we applied for planning permission for the site we are at now, Eastwoods Farm'.

THJ, are you saying that the Grants are now back at Throckley?

Edited by OnionBarghy
missed word

4 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Robert has many links with Brough having rode for us , worked in the dog staff and his late mother worked at the track for a long time. It's a bit like coming home for him and probably his father and I wish them the very best of luck to open up the Diamonds in 2020. We know who will be selling the pies now, :D

Damn & I was going to start a diet lol but never mind

• Haha 1

Just now, pienpeesman said:

Damn & I was going to start a diet lol but never mind

It would never work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mike7164 said:

No I think you will find it was 2005 when we had Grievesy after finishing wooden spoonests the year before so it may be a good sign of happy days once more!

Yeah was also quite popped then as well by that THJ has a lot to answer for lol