British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Bruce Semmens 1950s

Bruce Semmens rode circa late 1940s-early 1950s. He was recognised as one of the most spectacular legtrail riders of that period. Besides speedway he also at one time may have raced on grass tracks. His tracks possibly included Sheffield, Belle Vue (?) and Wimbledon.

More information about Semmens would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Guest

I can remember Bruce Semmens riding for Sheffield but unfortunately I can't provide much information about his career. I can though, relate a story told to me by his son Mike in 1985/86.

Mike was riding for Exeter in a match against the Brummies at Bordesley Green and I was curious to see his name spelt as "Semmends" and asked him why this was the case, and he told me that his father had changed the family name by deed poll because he had had 11 brothers and four of them had the initial "B" and were pinching his speedway prize money cheques. Because the four were all "B.Semmens" he had no way of finding out which of them were the culprit, so this was the only way he could put a stop to it!

• Like 2

I have found this reference to Bruce Semmens on the Sheffield 'Who's Who" website...."...Controversial and hard riding Cornishman who was a cult hero in the immediate post war years at Owlerton but upset many an opponent with his on track tactics. Earned a nickname of 'Have-a-go-Semmo' with his fearless style of riding and it was only a matter of time before he attracted the attention of the big name clubs, eventually joining Belle Vue in a big money move during the 1949 season. However, his time with the Aces was not a success and his career took a downward turn after leaving Sheffield. Bruce died on 4 September 1988..."

Bruce Semmens from Cornwall enjoyed success on the grass tracks and in ice racing.  His most successful years as a speedway rider were with Sheffield in Division 2 and he also represented Belle Vue, Wimbledon and Ashfield before 'retiring' after the 1952 season.  In 1949 Charles Ochiltree of Coventry offered £2,000 to Belle Vue in a vain attempt to secure his services.  Bruce's retirement was unfortunately enforced.  It was reported in the national press and speedway press that Walter Bruce Semmens, aged 37, of no fixed address, described as a speedway rider and café proprietor, was arrested in Tewkesbury and remanded in custody at Wincanton, charged with breaking and entering a farmhouse in Somerset and stealing £5,000 in notes, together with a bottle of whisky and a bottle of brandy.  In March 1953 at Bristol Assizes he was found not guilty of breaking into the farmhouse, but guilty of stealing the money from a locked cupboard there.  He received a 4 year prison sentence.

• Like 1

The late Maurice Jones told me that Semmens was the dirtiest rider of all

7 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Can you please specify between 'dirtiest rider' and 'hardest rider'? Races do take place under the jurisdiction of a referee/steward. I find that while home fans like a so-called 'hard rider' that opposing supporters tend to regard such tactics as 'dirty' when an opponent 'guilty' of such tactics outsmarts their favourite.

5 minutes ago, gustix said:

Can you please specify between 'dirtiest rider' and 'hardest rider'? Races do take place under the jurisdiction of a referee/steward. I find that while home fans like a so-called 'hard rider' that opposing supporters tend to regard such tactics as 'dirty' when an opponent 'guilty' of such tactics outsmarts their favourite.

I am quoting someone else’s comment to me

35 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

23 minutes ago, gustix said:

17 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

I am quoting someone else’s comment to me

I understand your point Midland Red. It tends to back my observation that a 'hard rider' for one team is accepted as such while an opposing rider with a similar style is the opponents 'dirty rider'?

18 minutes ago, gustix said:

I understand your point Midland Red. It tends to back my observation that a 'hard rider' for one team is accepted as such while an opposing rider with a similar style is the opponents 'dirty rider'?

I’m sure you know who Maurice Jones was.  His comment would not have come as a team supporter, which your post above suggests.

2 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

I’m sure you know who Maurice Jones was.  His comment would not have come as a team supporter, which your post above suggests.

I do indeed recall the late Maurice Jones and his writings. They were always interesting but sometimes I found them to be judgemental. I feel that might well be the case in regard to his observations on Bruce Semmens. 

1 minute ago, gustix said:

I do indeed recall the late Maurice Jones and his writings. They were always interesting but sometimes I found them to be judgemental. I feel that might well be the case in regard to his observations on Bruce Semmens. 

Do you ever feel that YOUR writings (as a speedway journalist) are judgemental?

35 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

28 minutes ago, gustix said:

24 minutes ago, chunky said:

Do you ever feel that YOUR writings (as a speedway journalist) are judgemental?

I have not written as a 'speedway journalist' for any publication since mid-2010. I ceased writing as a full-time 'speedway journalist' in the early part of 1962. Quite likely in that period (1954 to 1962) opinions I made probably were judgemental. For  all that I cannot recall ever criticising a rider as 'dirty' - more likely I would have used the descriptive phrase 'hard riding.' That would leave the comment up to the reader to make their own final judgment on what was implied.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, gustix said:

I have not written as a 'speedway journalist' for any publication since mid-2010. I ceased writing as a full-time 'speedway journalist' in the early part of 1962. Quite likely in that period (1954 to 1962) opinions I made probably were judgemental. For  all that I cannot recall ever criticising a rider as 'dirty' - more likely I would have used the descriptive phrase 'hard riding.' That would leave the comment up to the reader to make their own final judgment on what was implied.

The dates are irrelevant, as is the "full-time" comment. The thing is, you admit that you probably were judgemental at times. That is not a criticism, as it is almost impossible for a sports journalist to write without being judgemental.

However, you appear to be confusing journalism and private comment here. I am quite sure that "Bruce Semmens was the dirtiest rider I ever saw" never ever appeared in any journalistic submission from Maurice Jones; that was just a private comment he made.

Dave Lanning was always known to skirt controversy, but trust me, some of the things he told me privately would NEVER have made it on air or into the papers!

Bruce Semmens was an interesting character. Didn't a prison sentence end his career? I've heard even teammates were wary of riding with him.

Edited by moxey63