British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Bruce Semmens 1950s

There is a book " Ice One Bruce". The story of the life and times of Bruce Semmens by Jeremy Jackson published 1995 which makes interesting reading.

Must admit that I've never come across his name before.

Speedway historian Tony Lethbridge passed on this item: "...Bruce Semmens flew Sunderland flying boats during WW2 and I believe sank two U-boats. .."

18 hours ago, gustix said:

Speedway historian Tony Lethbridge passed on this item: "...Bruce Semmens flew Sunderland flying boats during WW2 and I believe sank two U-boats. .."

It would be nice to put together a collection of the wartime exploits of speedway riders. George Pepper is still probably the best example.

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

It would be nice to put together a collection of the wartime exploits of speedway riders. George Pepper is still probably the best example.

What about Morian Hansen’s exploits for the RAF ? 

Just now, iris123 said:

There's another one. And he buried his speedway gear to protect it!

Not taking anything away from others, but someone who joins a foreign military to fight deserves  special praise. The same as Clem Beckett fighting against fascism for the International Brigade and losing his life on the battle field

I don’t know the George Pepper story though ....

Edited by iris123

22 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Not taking anything away from others, but someone who joins a foreign military to fight deserves  special praise. The same as Clem Beckett fighting against fascism for the International Brigade and losing his life on the battle field

I don’t know the George Pepper story though ....

acesofww2.com/can/aces/pepper.htm

Rode for Newcastle, and lost his life during a test flight...

Edit: not sure about the problem with the URL, but you can Google him.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

...and how despite his distinguished war service the SRA blocked an attempt by Morian Hansen to resume his British speedway career in 1946!!!

Edited by Guest

On 10/29/2019 at 5:31 PM, chunky said:

acesofww2.com/can/aces/pepper.htm

Rode for Newcastle, and lost his life during a test flight...

Edit: not sure about the problem with the URL, but you can Google him.

Found this by John Hyam that needs a bit of clarification. 
The bit about in 1937 he was on the verge of dropping out of trans- Atlantic racing? Yet it states he first came over in 1938.... I maybe reading it wrong, but doesn’t make sense. How could he be on the verge of dropping out, when he wasn’t even riding in the UK ?

http://www.speedwayplus.com/GeorgePepper.shtml

14 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Found this by John Hyam that needs a bit of clarification. 
The bit about in 1937 he was on the verge of dropping out of trans- Atlantic racing? Yet it states he first came over in 1938.... I maybe reading it wrong, but doesn’t make sense. How could he be on the verge of dropping out, when he wasn’t even riding in the UK ?

http://www.speedwayplus.com/GeorgePepper.shtml

Read the item carefully: it refers to him racing at the time speedway in USA and Canada, that he was considering concentrating on road racing, but then persuaded to continue in speedway. The phrase is cross-Atlantic as I read it not as you would imply trans-Atlantic. Supersavers on your visiting list.

Worth you also making a query comment on Speedwayplus if you don't agree with this: "...In 1937, Pepper was on the verge of dropping out of cross-Atlantic speedway to follow a career in road racing, but was persuaded by Chitty and Gibb to try British speedway racing. He actually arrived in Britain in 1938 with the purpose of riding in the Isle of Man TT."

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, gustix said:

Read the item carefully: it refers to him racing at the time speedway in USA and Canada, that he was considering concentrating on road racing, but then persuaded to continue in speedway. Worth you also making a query comment on Speedwayplus if you don't agree with this: "...In 1937, Pepper was on the verge of dropping out of cross-Atlantic speedway to follow a career in road racing, but was persuaded by Chitty and Gibb to try British speedway racing. He actually arrived in Britain in 1938 with the purpose of riding in the Isle of Man TT."

Yes, but Canada and the US are on the same side of the Atlantic. That is what I don't get. how could he be on the verge of dropping out of 'Cross-Atlantic speedway then ?

9 minutes ago, gustix said:

Read the item carefully: it refers to him racing at the time speedway in USA and Canada, that he was considering concentrating on road racing, but then persuaded to continue in speedway. The phrase is cross-Atlantic as I read it not as you would imply trans-Atlantic. Supersavers on your visiting list.

Worth you also making a query comment on Speedwayplus if you don't agree with this: "...In 1937, Pepper was on the verge of dropping out of cross-Atlantic speedway to follow a career in road racing, but was persuaded by Chitty and Gibb to try British speedway racing. He actually arrived in Britain in 1938 with the purpose of riding in the Isle of Man TT."

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Yes, but Canada and the US are on the same side of the Atlantic. That is what I don't get. how could he be on the verge of dropping out of 'Cross-Atlantic speedway then ?

You surprise me. The actual article has appeared in several publications without query in regard to 'cross-Atlantic". They accept it means cross-Atlantic when compared to speedway in the UK as it would to most readers apart from 'practicing nit pickers' like your good self!

4 minutes ago, gustix said:

You surprise me. The actual article has appeared in several publications without query in regard to 'cross-Atlantic". They accept it means cross-Atlantic when compared to speedway in the UK as it would to most readers apart from 'practicing nit pickers' like your good self!

Are you saying 'cross-Atlantic speedway' is a form of speedway ? really not getting what this is supposed to mean. Or is this phrase 'cross-Atlantic speedway' meaning speedway on the other side of the Atlantic, on the American continent? A strange phrase that I have never crossed before

Edited by iris123

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Are you saying 'cross-Atlantic speedway' is a form of speedway ? really not getting what this is supposed to mean. Or is this phrase 'cross-Atlantic speedway' meaning speedway on the other side of the Atlantic, on the American continent? A strange phrase that I have never crossed before

At last! It looks as though you have learned something. Certainly agree with at least five speedway publications that have carried the story without query over the years. But then we really know what has happened: you evolved a query to continue - I think it is at least eight years now? - your vendetta with me.

Edited by Guest