British Speedway Forum

Ted Hubbard RIP

It is reported on Social Media that former Hackney rider Ted Hubbard has passed away: "...Very sad to hear the passing of former Hawk Ted Hubbard..."

Very sad news...saw Ted ride many times and I recall the time that he rode for "The Rebels" as a guest in 1972 and caused Ray Wilson to fall during the second half escaping exclusion and ultimately giving the final to Garry Middleton...much to the annoyance of one 'Soldier Boy'!

May he RIP.

Remember him as one of the top riders in the old BL2 from those championship meetings at Plough Lane in the 70s

Sad news

RIP

very sad indeed.

Ted helped me out a lot at Canterbury and even made his wedding reception after a meeting there.

Commiserations to Jeannette and the boys

• Like 1

Enjoyed watching Ted at Hackney and Rye House, and also cheering him on to a couple of rostrum places at the NLRC.

RIP

Ted was a much better British League rider than his results show in that he didn't score as many points as he should have given his huge talent when he rode full time for Hackney.

But when doubling up between the Hawks and Rye House as Hackney number 8 he often turned in match winning performances and of course his National League record speaks for itself as the master of Rye and Canterbury.

But of all those wonderful memories of Ted my favourite is a non riding one.

When we ran the Hackney reunion in 2005, the night was so hectic I found myself running around all night until I raced past Ted propping up the bar. I was almost past him when he grabbed me by the arm pulling me to an abrupt halt and with the other hand thrust a pint into my hand and said, now stand here and drink that, you deserve it. It was a simple but wonderful gesture.

I didn't know him very well but had the pleasure of chatting to him at a handful of social events over the years and he was always a gentleman and a real pleasure to chat too.

This is one of my favourite pictures of him as he has his fag in hand.

RIP Ted.

1597347877_TedwithFag.jpg.10901fc6624543f8b2b7f87070b78e02.jpg

• Like 3

Was TED the late Shazzybirds uncle. She was always on about Uncle Ted if I remember right. 

12 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Was TED the late Shazzybirds uncle. She was always on about Uncle Ted if I remember right. 

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Attended Ted Hubbard's Funeral yesterday.

It was by far the biggest funeral I personally have ever attended with (a rough guess) over 200 people there many trapped outside listening on a speaker.

Teds Cortege arrived with a chequered flag draped over his coffin which was then carried into the church to a clever and tasteful medley of march out themes from Canterbury Hackney and Rye House.

Hackney/Rye/Canterbury and Crayford were well represented by Barry Thomas, Bobby McNeil, Laurie Etheridge, Hugh Saunders, Graham Miles, Karl Fiala and Barney Kennett.

Also spotted was Reg Luckhurst, Steve Weatherley, Trevor Geer, Paul Woods and Graham and Paul Hurry. There were probably more I didn't see or didn't recognise.
Ex Ref Graham Broadie was in attendance.

It was a fitting and special send off for one of speedways nice guys.

Ted Prog.jpg

• Like 6