British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

New Cross track

I have always been under the impression that the basic size of the New Cross track was 262 yards. However I have seen a FB comment that it was 354 yards. Can any one please clarify the matter?

Edited by Guest

I. Don’t know it’s size, but 350 yards sound much too big and 262 yards sounds about right.  It was called a frying pan not a wok :)

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, gustix said:

I have always been under the impression that the basic size of the New Cross track was 262 yards. However I have seen a FB comment that it was 354 yards. Can any one please clarify the matter?

Never ever 354 yards!

"Homes of British Speedway" quotes 262 yards (1934-53) & 278 yards ((1959-63).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

It was called a frying pan not a wok :)

Did they ride on stir-Friday???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was one of the smallest tracks I've been to.

Very surprised that a veteran and ex journalist should get confused about the size of his first and favourite track !!!

• Haha 2

On 10/19/2019 at 9:35 PM, gustix said:

39 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Very surprised that a veteran and ex journalist should get confused about the size of his first and favourite track !!!

Just to clarify the situation. I have always understood New Cross track to be a basic 262 yards. The reason I queried that a mention on FB said it was 354 yards. I raised my query to clarify my thoughts on 262 yards were correct and to repudiate the larger size associated with it. I apologise most sincerely if my initial comment gave a wrong interpretation of my question. Subsequent replies to my query have now given me the answer I sought.

Edited by Guest

You should have just referred to this item on the much linked to Defunct Speedway Site written by a certain John Hyam( you might know him ?) which mentions the size of the track

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/New Cross.htm

Also a good reference often linked tohttp://www.speedwaymuseumonline.co.uk/n tracks.html

Edited by iris123
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, gustix said:

Just to clarify the situation. I have always understood New Cross track to be a basic 262 yards. The reason I queried that a mention on FB said it was 354 yards. I raised my query to clarify my thoughts on 262 yards were correct and to repudiate the larger size associated with it. I apologise most sincerely if my initial comment gave a wrong interpretation of my question. Subsequent replies to my query have now given me the answer I sought.

Come on John, you of all people would have known the 'Frying Pan' nickname which clearly would not have referred to a big (or even average-sized) track.

• Like 1

• Like 2