British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
poolebolton

Berwick, Sheffield and Kent.

Are Berwick changing counties too?

Moving its town 200 miles or so south to become part of Lancashire or Yorkshire? :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Norwich?

Looking forward to that one - much closer to me than Kings Lynn. :D

Not sure where they'll ride though......local council and nimby's normally put blockers on any hope of that one in my life time :(

6 minutes ago, jeffster said:

Berwick have rode at Berrington Lough before

its miles from anywhere, in a place called Ancroft.

They had an air ambulance in attendance, as the place is so remote.

in 1991, Berwick joined the top division, signing Kelvin Tatum from Coventry, Richard Knight from Kings Lynn and Jimmy Nilsen from Swindon.

The then promoter, a Liverpudlian called Terry, whose surname I cant recall, later served a prison sentence for fraud IIRC.

Lyndon

• Like 1

Cannot see Berwick or Kent moving up with Berwick having to change its race night and not having its local meetings with the northern clubs.  Nor Kent if they have to keep the curfew and continue to start at 6.30, especially if the clubs still get no say in rules etc for a period of time,  which I could not see Len standing for. 

Edited by A ORLOV

Is this for real?

Silly season has begun!

Sheffield have always been in my opinion a top flight track and beings Sunday racedays weren't overly successful this season and things at Owlerton have got a bit stale of late, moving into the top flight on a Thursday makes sense!

Kent have a decent stadium in an area that's got much interest for the sport so while I've got no doubt they could move in to the top flight on the right racenight, 6.30pm starts with a 2 hour time restriction makes things difficult?

Berwick run sustainably at 2nd tier level on a Saturday night with a few local rivals in the same League. Surely Saturdays would be out of the question in the top flight and the loss of the meetings against local rivals would be financial suicide?

• Like 1

I can see this happening IF and it's a BIG IF, there are only two leagues next season 1. A watered down Premiership/ watered up Championship combined. Berwick could possibly run at that level if they abandon fixed race nights as it will surely include Glasgow and possibly Edinburgh and Redcar. 2. A watered down Championship (with whats left)/ watered up NDL. 

• Like 1

Amazing the number of people saying what will or won’t happen to  Kent and Berwick without having any idea of what’s is going on behind the scenes. 

Also how is it the right of CVS to spill these particular beans? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bagpuss said:

Amazing the number of people saying what will or won’t happen to  Kent and Berwick without having any idea of what’s is going on behind the scenes. 

Also how is it the right of CVS to spill these particular beans? 

I think what we're suggesting is that it won't happen with current league set up remaining in place 

• Like 2

I know obviously the Premiership are in negotiations to try and get/keep a tv deal but why should that be to the detriment of possibly the Championship and the National League?  

If there is a NL next year Kent will run a team in the NL & Premier. The problem with the 8.30 curfew is not completing by 8.30 but completing by 8.30 if there is a bad accident & fences etc have to be repaired. I would expect the promoters to go to the council & try to change the planning to allow an extension of time if an ambulance has been on track & also apply for a 7.30 start for the nights when sky are in attendance. Kent have planning permission to race on any night of the week except Sat & Sunday. 

I’m not surprised that Kent are applying to move up. Their an ambitious set up with a very good stadium and relatively big crowds. Their only problem might be finding international riders willing to ride that early on a Monday with the M25 to contend with too. Then cue the complaints about a blue groove track. 

For next season it makes sense for all teams to race on any night they want to. I would wager that not many would want to race on a monday night as it s the worst day of the week for promoting speedway  especially when  live TV is being shown

• Like 1