British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
poolebolton

Berwick, Sheffield and Kent.

4 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Berwick  HO HO ... maybe they will be sponsored by an airline to fly all the riders and spectators to the track. 

To be honest Newcastle, Edinburgh and Glasgow airports are all closer to Berwick than Stansted or Gatwick are to the rest of speedway - and there's not the M25/Dartford Crossing snarl ups to content with either but you're right for anyone south of Sheffield it's akin to travelling to beyond the north pole :blink:

4 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

To be honest Newcastle, Edinburgh and Glasgow airports are all closer to Berwick than Stansted or Gatwick are to the rest of speedway - and there's not the M25/Dartford Crossing snarl ups to content with either but you're right for anyone south of Sheffield it's akin to travelling to beyond the north pole :blink:

Don’t forget that down south they think the world ends at Watford

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Red Flag said:

Don’t forget that down south they think the world ends at Watford

I think you'll find that's a fact actually, as stated in the flat earth society. 

Edited by gazzac
  • Haha 1

As much as I like and respect CVS I think he`s been at Christmas sherry a tad early this year. Sheffield always get a mention at this time of year about the possibility of moving up, maybe if a new buyer for the Tigers has come forward and has expressed a desire to move up then it might happen now for 2020 season. At least geographically there would be sense in Kent moving up but it was only at the start of this season Len Silver was complaining about his rigid Monday night only from the local council, added to that the restrictions on their curfew, it would put a doubt in most peoples minds.

As for Berwick both financially and geographically it would be suicide to move the club up, as most know they have been run on a tight budget and every penny counts. Of course they might be tempted by any money going on the new tv deal but even so I doubt Berwick`s current crowds is any where near the size needed to make top flight speedway viable in the town. Yes we have moved up before and look what happened then, different promotion, different circumstances but I fear the same result.   

Edited by screm
  • Like 2

Can't see Berwick moving Leagues or nights it would be the end of the Bandits IMO. 

• Like 1

Why are people assuming that things will remain the same?

For these 3 to even consider this, then there must be something in the pipeline? 

Kent, that makes a lot of sense. I would think they can get the curfew lifted, and if so they will be an excellent addition to the top league. Just need to invest the TV money into the track.

Sheffield is a no brainer.

Berwick just seems stupid, but like I say, there must be something there to make them apply.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bandit59 said:

Can't see Berwick moving Leagues or nights it would be the end of the Bandits IMO. 

Especially nights.... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Especially nights.... 

For me pretty much THE No1 PRIORITY for each track..

As fans who still go have shown, they will put up with a whole host of 'anomolies' with regards to how the sport is ran versus it's peers, therefore the least the sport can do is ensure it runs on the best nights for the vast majority of them to get there..

For teams currently in the second tier, I cannot see (no disrespect intended as could be lots of riders used as an example), how the likes of Danny King and Chris Harris riding in Ipswich colours in the Premiership will deliver much bigger crowds than when they turned up this year for Sheffield and Somerset respectively...

Maybe the Champions, with Jason Doyle in tow, would deliver a novelty crowd bounce but cannot see over a season how it could work for second tier clubs moving up..

Unless of course financially the TV money is similar to the Sky deal and clubs feel they can make ends meet with it?

Hope Berwick have not fallen for another con-job like what happened in 1991.who is bank rolling this move if it happens?

Mid week Speedway at Berwick will be a big gamble IMO.

They won’t survive on crowds levels if they don’t increase dramatically.

Are they renaming the Premiership to the Buster Chapman League.

Though it was 1st April when I heard the rumours/or are they.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, hyabb17 said:

Announcement by Sheffield at 5pm

Seems obvious that the comment by CVS is starting to come to reality. Sheffield make perfect sense to go top flight, assuming it’s been bought as well.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, screm said:

As much as I like and respect CVS I think he`s been at Christmas sherry a tad early this year. Sheffield always get a mention at this time of year about the possibility of moving up, maybe if a new buyer for the Tigers has come forward and has expressed a desire to move up then it might happen now for 2020 season. At least geographically there would be sense in Kent moving up but it was only at the start of this season Len Silver was complaining about his rigid Monday night only from the local council, added to that the restrictions on their curfew, it would put a doubt in most peoples minds.

As for Berwick both financially and geographically it would be suicide to move the club up, as most know they have been run on a tight budget and every penny counts. Of course they might be tempted by any money going on the new tv deal but even so I doubt Berwick`s current crowds is any where near the size needed to make top flight speedway viable in the town. Yes we have moved up before and look what happened then, different promotion, different circumstances but I fear the same result.   

That 5-1 draw must be raking in the money:P

• Haha 1